The Student Room Group

Arms are getting too big (I'm a girl)

Scroll to see replies

Ewwwww, that's not like just a little bit of muscle tone, her arms are masculine
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tootles44
Im following a strength program (5x5 with extra accessory work) and do arms every other day e.g. curls / tricep pushdowns

Problem is some of my old blouses are starting to become tight around the arms and I'm getting 'mass' on my arms which I don't really like or want to continue

Should I stop doing them or are they really necessary?

If you don't like how big your arms are getting maybe do your arms twice a week or use ligther weights with higher reps, like 3x20 etc...

do you want arms more slim and toned as opposed to bulky:

https://www.instagram.com/p/_9u1rymTRV/?taken-by=graoficial
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by kieran12321LFC
Ewwwww, that's not like just a little bit of muscle tone, her arms are fecking masculine

Hey some people are into that!
but it's not like that in all pictures those were only a few that I could find where you can really see it :tongue:
https://www.instagram.com/p/5bA37AqzOI/
https://www.instagram.com/p/4E4bd1KzD1/

:3
Original post by z33
Hey some people are into that!
but it's not like that in all pictures those were only a few that I could find where you can really see it :tongue:
https://www.instagram.com/p/5bA37AqzOI/
https://www.instagram.com/p/4E4bd1KzD1/

:3

I just prefer girls to be a bit more feminine, get what am saying brah
Reply 24
Original post by kieran12321LFC
I just prefer girls to be a bit more feminine, get what am saying brah

yeh fair nuff :tongue:
Guys saying girls with a bit of muscle are masculine but then have no muscle themselves... fml. :biggrin:
Im following a strength program (5x5 with extra accessory work) and do arms every other day e.g. curls / tricep pushdowns

Problem is some of my old blouses are starting to become tight around the arms and I'm getting 'mass' on my arms which I don't really like or want to continue

Why are you doing Arms every other day?
What happened to other muscle groups I.e Legs/Back/Shoulders/Chest/Abs+obliques etc?

The "mass" you believe your putting on is NOTHING in the long term. I'm assuming that what your experiencing is your beginner 'newbie gains'. Enjoy it while you can make strength/put on the most muscle in the shortest time you got.

Anything else you would say broski? @WoodyMKC
Original post by anitax
Are higher weights good for building strength but not bulk?

Yeah pretty much.

Low rep high weight will build strength. Medium rep medium weight will bulk you out. High rep low weight will build endurance. She is doing a strength programme so I believe she needs to do a higher weight and/or less reps in that case.
Reply 28
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Why are you doing Arms every other day?
What happened to other muscle groups I.e Legs/Back/Shoulders/Chest/Abs+obliques etc?

The "mass" you believe your putting on is NOTHING in the long term. I'm assuming that what your experiencing is your beginner 'newbie gains'. Enjoy it while you can make strength/put on the most muscle in the shortest time you got.

Anything else you would say broski? @WoodyMKC

I'm doing those as well obvs, not just doing arms on their own LOL

Im doing ICF 5x5 atm https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
I'm doing those as well obvs, not just doing arms on their own LOL

Im doing ICF 5x5 atm https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

ICF is a ****ing dreadful workout, designed by a moron. It works for beginners, but then so does everything because they're new to the stimulus. A beginner could go on Arnold Schwarzenegger's ridiculous 6 day a week, twice a day, 50+ set workouts routine, and it'd work. To start out on ICF doing nearly 30 sets a workout and then later having to cut back on volume as the intensity increases is hardly ideal.

I'd suggest scaling back to something simpler, Starting Strength perhaps. Without any arm isolation work they might stop growing so much :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by WoodyMKC
ICF is a ****ing dreadful workout, designed by a moron. It works for beginners, but then so does everything because they're new to the stimulus. A beginner could go on Arnold Schwarzenegger's ridiculous 6 day a week, twice a day, 50+ set workouts routine, and it'd work. To start out on ICF doing nearly 30 sets a workout and then later having to cut back on volume as the intensity increases is hardly ideal.

I'd suggest scaling back to something simpler, Starting Strength perhaps. Without any arm isolation work they might stop growing so much :smile:

Yeah Ive been doing it for a couple of months and its just getting far too long (my record has been 3.5 hours on the gym floor... and thats without changing etc full)

I might just do that, I want more leg work though, what do you think of me adding say 3x8-12 sets of weighted glue bridges and lunges for example?
I wouldn't describe ICF5x5 as a "****ing dreadful workout," plenty of people have made it work well for them. However, it doesn't suit everyone, especially if it takes 3.5 hours to train, which is about 1.5-2 hours too long :lol:

It's funny how the worlds gone full circle, when I started SS was the devil :lol:

Yeah Ive been doing it for a couple of months and its just getting far too long (my record has been 3.5 hours on the gym floor... and thats without changing etc full)

I might just do that, I want more leg work though, what do you think of me adding say 3x8-12 sets of weighted glue bridges and lunges for example?

A few things - it's not mass making your arms too big; you're female, the whole mass thing especially on your upper body isn't a thing.

Starting Strength is a much quicker routine, I'd recommend the Squat/ bench/ deadlift. Squat/ OHP/ Row/ chin up (lat pulldown) variant rather than doing cleans. You don't need more leg work from it; glute bridges and lunges won't improve your legs over squatting 3x a week

If you are doing 5x5 strength training, the purpose should be to get stronger. This can only happen by building your muscles, thus your muscles will get bigger. Is that your primary purpose - strength?

On a small frame this may be overwhelming to you (particularly when we are surrounded by photoshopped photos of fitness models who have slim yet muscled arms that HAVE been edited). Ignore those photos! Everyone is a completely different shape and will change and build muscle differently.

If the reason that you are not sure about the build up on mass is buying clothes - then prioritise your money :smile:

If the reason is because of wether you think you may look or feel attractive when you have built some muscle on your arms that is a whole different ball game. Contrary to popular belief you cannot get stronger and 'tone' without building a little muscle.

^^If that IS the reason, I promise you that if you focus on how your body feels, the satisfaction of training and don't compare yourself to others - then you will not care about the muscle building. This muscle is a sign that you have worked hard, and that you are looking after yourself! Have confidence in it and be proud :smile:

Thats disgusting, what happened to being lady like?
Iron them, it'll flatten them right out
Original post by TunaTunnel
Thats disgusting, what happened to being lady like?

it developed. Like time. Its 2016 - adapt.
Original post by shawn_o1
If you can afford gym, you can afford new clothes.

Going to the gym costs much less than buying new clothes. Have you ever been to a gym?
what you mean :redface:

I do 3x8-10 atm

my arms are weak as hell

Arm mass for a girl looks good? :s-smilie: Im on a slow bulk right now, do you think when i start to cut in a few months they'll slim down and look a little less... bulky?

:sexface: Doesn't bother me...

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anonwinner
Going to the gym costs much less than buying new clothes. Have you ever been to a gym?

Yes I have and I felt disillusioned after a while and quit in order to save £40 a month. Maybe the gym is cheaper where you are, but £40 is enough to buy one, maybe two, blouses or shirts that last for years
Original post by z33
Good Mythical Morning - a YouTube channel
and the girl I posted a pic of works with those guys and you can find her on the Thursday episode
and everytime she wears a tanktop all the fanboys in the comment section be like
"omg JENS ARMS ARE SO BUFF"
"JEN'S ARMS LOOK SO GOOd"

etc. etc. :smile:

YAAAAAAS JEN! Regardless of how uninterested I am in the good mythical more ep I will click on it just to watch Jen. Btw, Jen's on GMMore not GMM. mistype.

OP, i'm female and Jen is hot AF. Though I am gay so.. But still. Her arms are bomb as hell.

Quick Reply

Latest