The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LadyLaw23
The Bar Council is now officially moving the Gateway timetable to January from 2017:
http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/media-centre/news-and-press-releases/2016/january/students-call-on-the-bar-council-to-move-pupillage-gateway-timetable/

Too bad it didn't happen this year, as originally planned, but at least it's finally happening :biggrin:

I wonder whether this in turn causes Chancery sets to bring forward applications to October!
Ah, thanks, will do. Does it say anything regarding a deadline by which it has to be taken?

9am on the 21st.

The email is not from XXIV Old Buildings, but from 'Pearson TalentLens', and the email subject looks a bit weird so perhaps check your spam folder?
Original post by Forum User
9am on the 21st.

The email is not from XXIV Old Buildings, but from 'Pearson TalentLens', and the email subject looks a bit weird so perhaps check your spam folder?

Thanks, that might be why. Just checked, not there. Unfortunately, that means it has already been deleted with the junk, if I ever received it in the first place :frown:

I did just email them though, and I'll look out for it tomorrow...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lawuntomyself
I wonder whether this in turn causes Chancery sets to bring forward applications to October!

Honestly, I wouldn't even be surprised, considering Atkin's move this year! Though at least it will probably take a year or two before anything like that starts happening on a larger scale (one hopes)
(edited 8 years ago)
As for their reliance on it, I know what you mean, though at least if you're not in the top few that go through automatically, they give you a chance for a spot based on both your app and the test...

I just did it and I think it is probably the best one I've come across. If I don't get it, I won't feel hard done by, as I would with some of the stupid tests that are used by some places.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I just did it and I think it is probably the best one I've come across. If I don't get it, I won't feel hard done by, as I would with some of the stupid tests that are used by some places.

Good to know - makes me dread it less :smile: Good luck
Good to know - makes me dread it less :smile: Good luck

Thanks, you too!
Thanks, that might be why. Just checked, not there. Unfortunately, that means it has already been deleted with the junk, if I ever received it in the first place :frown:

I did just email them though, and I'll look out for it tomorrow...

I thought it odd that I hadn't recieved anything yet! I have just checked my junk mail and there was nothing in there so have emailed them enquiring but it seems there could be a few people who haven't receive anything, hopefully they will send it over today to complete!
Original post by LegalLab
I thought it odd that I hadn't recieved anything yet! I have just checked my junk mail and there was nothing in there so have emailed them enquiring but it seems there could be a few people who haven't receive anything, hopefully they will send it over today to complete!

Indeed! Here's hoping.... Judging by what everyone else has said re the sender and subject of the email and the high probability of such an email going into junk or even being filtered out at server level, Chambers should at least have mentioned this on the website, so people would know to look out for it/make the relevant spam exception rules.
Indeed! Here's hoping.... Judging by what everyone else has said re the sender and subject of the email and the high probability of such an email going into junk or even being filtered out at server level, Chambers should at least have mentioned this on the website, so people would know to look out for it/make the relevant spam exception rules.

I received the test this morning following my email to them, it was certainly thorough and detailed so as above I won't feel hard done by if I don't get in! At least it's over with now anyway, hope you heard back from them!
Original post by LegalLab
I received the test this morning following my email to them, it was certainly thorough and detailed so as above I won't feel hard done by if I don't get in! At least it's over with now anyway, hope you heard back from them!

Thanks, I did indeed and I'm about to take the test in a bit, though from the feedback on here, sounds like it'll be a good one, as far as that can be the case with these kinds of tests...

Edit: Having now done it, I see what you mean - it was definitely better than many other similar tests. Having said that, I kind of preferred the questions in the practice test over those in the real one :biggrin: How did people do in the practice one?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks, I did indeed and I'm about to take the test in a bit, though from the feedback on here, sounds like it'll be a good one, as far as that can be the case with these kinds of tests...

Edit: Having now done it, I see what you mean - it was definitely better than many other similar tests. Having said that, I kind of preferred the questions in the practice test over those in the real one :biggrin: How did people do in the practice one?

Well I didn't see the practice one, which is interesting :biggrin:

I've practised enough of these things anyway, so never mind.
Well I didn't see the practice one, which is interesting :biggrin:

I've practised enough of these things anyway, so never mind.

Fair enough, and there was a link to it towards the bottom of the email. If you can be bothered, it might still be worth taking just to see how well you do, as the questions are similar enough to the actual test. Presumably, it'll also still work after the deadline tomorrow.
(edited 8 years ago)
Having done the test I noticed some of the questions were exactly the same as those on the practice test... Interesting.

Onwards and upwards!

Has anyone heard from other chambers aside from 4 New Square and Falcon Chambers?
Hello there,

Apologies for my late reply. I too am unsure of whether this test is entirely representative of my capabilities, however I'll hope that I did more than okay- would really love to work at XXIV Old Buildings

Well hi there.

Seems to be along the same lines of most of us on here.

I have to do the XXIV test too. I've yet to decide how I feel about their placing such a reliance on verbal reasoning tests. That will depend on how well I do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Forgot to ask, approx how many words did you use in Erskine's 'why a career at the company Bar' question? And did you treat this more as a 'why the Bar' or 'why these areas/this Chambers' type question (or both)?

I cannot recall the word count at this very moment but I used about a page. I began with why company law/chancery+commercial, my suitability and why Erskine's.
Rejections coming out from Radcliffe today - by personalised e-mail.

Best of luck to the successful. Prepare to be tested (if it is anything like last year).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 157
Original post by Best guppy
Rejections coming out from Radcliffe today - by personalised e-mail.

Best of luck to the successful. Prepare to be tested (if it is anything like last year).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has anyone else gotten one?
Original post by Nordic
Has anyone else gotten one?

I haven't received anything yet...
Thanks folks. I'm clearly in the special early reject pile 😞

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending