The Student Room Group

Dishearted about Grad Jobs

Is anyone else getting to the point where its looking a bit more difficult to be positive about getting a job?

I've had 4 ACs this month and 3 said business needs have changed and 1 said no with no response to my request for feedback :'(

Not good!!
Reply 1
It's tough out there indeed. Competition is fierce but you shoudn't get dissapointed or pessimistic. I was very excited for my first AC as well, although I did not get it and I'm still sobbing about that. But the only thing you can do is give your absolute best and not lose hope.
Original post by rpandy12
Is anyone else getting to the point where its looking a bit more difficult to be positive about getting a job?

I've had 4 ACs this month and 3 said business needs have changed and 1 said no with no response to my request for feedback :'(

Not good!!

It's been 1.5 years since I graduated and no grad job of any kind. Only min wage picking and packing. I have little hope any more.

Not good!!

It's perfectly normal to have lots of rejections before getting that job. The good thing is that you clearly know how to answer the application questions well if you are getting AC's. Whilst you are still on campus go and make the most of your uni careers centre if you haven't already- they may run mock AC's and other interview help.
Reply 4
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It's been 1.5 years since I graduated and no grad job of any kind. Only min wage picking and packing. I have little hope any more.

Thats so rubbish :frown: Do you still reapply every year or just not bother?
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
It's perfectly normal to have lots of rejections before getting that job. The good thing is that you clearly know how to answer the application questions well if you are getting AC's. Whilst you are still on campus go and make the most of your uni careers centre if you haven't already- they may run mock AC's and other interview help.

That's true! Just need to learn how to seal the deal so to speak....
But thanks, I will definitely go and see them- maybe they can figure it out!
Reply 6

Not good!!

Graduate schemes are very tough and usually have over 100 applicants per place. By all means apply and try your best but you should also be applying to non-graduate entry level jobs.
Reply 7
Try Atos
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Same, I graduated in 2014 and I gave up looking for a grad job a long time ago
Original post by _icecream
Same, I graduated in 2014 and I gave up looking for a grad job a long time ago

What do you do now?
Reply 10
I didn't look for a grad job initially because I didn't know what I wanted to do and didn't want to get stuck for 3 years in the wrong career and potentially be stuck paying back training costs.

After 18 months I had my epiphany and decided to go into Tax. Three weeks after starting my job search I had an a/c with Baker Tilly with a potential job offer to follow but they couldn't offer me personal tax (what I wanted) and asked if I would go back to speak with the manager of the employment side. Luckily I was able to decline as I had a firm job offer with a growing independent firm who had recently expanded to London. Plus the work/life balance is amazing and flexible. Wouldn't get that in a big 4 firm!

So happy I waited and didn't feel flustered into getting a grad job because it is 'the thing to do' after uni. It probably helped in my interviews as well as they remarked on how confident I was in myself and what I knew about the job I was applying for.

Don't be disheartened! You'll find your place in time :smile:

Not good!!

If they're saying business needs have changed, I would consider taking that at face value. Things have been pretty uncertain economically recently, so it might be true, in which case you've just been unlucky.

What's your response to application rate like? Have you ever got past the AC stage? Do you know people who've been successful in getting roles like the one you want- could you talk to them and find out what they did differently?

Equally, there's no need to necessarily pigeonhole yourself into the "grad job" mindset. Depending on the career you want, have you also tried applying for entry level roles with a view to moving upwards after a few years?
Reply 12
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito

What's your response to application rate like? Have you ever got past the AC stage??

Isn't that the offer stage?
Original post by KTS89
Isn't that the offer stage?

Some grad schemes have a second interview after the assessment, I think it's something that varies between fields/companies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending