The Student Room Group

Is Greenwich Uni that bad?

I was at uni last year but left as didn't enjoy the course. This year I have chosen kent and greenwich as my top choices. Here's my dilemma, I love the sound of the course at greenwich advertising, marketing communications and Spanish however all I hear is bad things about greenwixh. The teaching, the night life, reputation, student facilities... This is really putting me off from going because I want a great uni experience and am worried greenwich won't offer me that. Then kent is a great uni, good night life, high in league tables but the course isn't really me (marketing) especially as it can't be guaranteed I can take Spanish.

I'd really appreciate someone's view point

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Lucy 13
I was at uni last year but left as didn't enjoy the course. This year I have chosen kent and greenwich as my top choices. Here's my dilemma, I love the sound of the course at greenwich advertising, marketing communications and Spanish however all I hear is bad things about greenwixh. The teaching, the night life, reputation, student facilities... This is really putting me off from going because I want a great uni experience and am worried greenwich won't offer me that. Then kent is a great uni, good night life, high in league tables but the course isn't really me (marketing) especially as it can't be guaranteed I can take Spanish.

Hi Lucy,

I can't comment about the facilities and such at Greenwich but there are a couple of things to consider.

1) Nightlife depends far more on location than university in many cases. Depending on which campus you will be at you will have access to London or Kent for nights out.
2) There are far more able university level teachers than there are jobs for them. As such, many excellent people end up teaching at the lower-ranked universities.
3) Kent is not sufficiently prestigious for its inclusion on your CV to make any real difference to your job search.

This all being said, course aside I would choose Kent if I were you because I would have more trust in its infrastructure and know a number of people who speak very highly of their time there. Could you not study Spanish in your own time or as part of an optional course at Kent?
Greenwich is a terrible University, I'm not just saying this as I am currently a student doing my second year here. I don't know much about Kent University but you should also check out Leeds University. The reason Greenwich is so bad is that the equipment are limited or they always seem to be broken, the lectures are useless and the programs do not consist relevant courses. This university accepts just about anyone even if you fail your A-levels (I didn't btw but some of my friends did and they still got in). This university isn't well regarded and my advice is to run away as far as possible.
Reply 3
Original post by lucylocket118
Greenwich is a terrible University, I'm not just saying this as I am currently a student doing my second year here. I don't know much about Kent University but you should also check out Leeds University. The reason Greenwich is so bad is that the equipment are limited or they always seem to be broken, the lectures are useless and the programs do not consist relevant courses. This university accepts just about anyone even if you fail your A-levels (I didn't btw but some of my friends did and they still got in). This university isn't well regarded and my advice is to run away as far as possible.

Hi Lucy thanks for your reply.

What course are you studying? As I am wondering if it'll be different for my course?
I thought Greenwich had upped their game a bit? And what is the accommodation like?

Thank you
Original post by Lucy 13
Hi Lucy thanks for your reply.

What course are you studying? As I am wondering if it'll be different for my course?
I thought Greenwich had upped their game a bit? And what is the accommodation like?

Thank you

I was doing Computer Systems and Networking but now I'm doing COmputer Security and Forensics and they wouldnt let me change to COmputer Science which I'm not happy about. But I have friends that are doing the course that your interested in and they said that its not very good either. I dont know what the accomodation is like because I dont live in it but I know that its expensive and old fashiuoned because some of my freiends live in it.
Original post by Lucy 13

Hey :smile:

We're sorry we couldn't get back to you earlier!

We're happy to know that we are one of your top choices and that you like the sound of our degree programme too :h:.

I would strongly recommend to coming along to our next Open Day which is this month on Saturday the 20th. It will start 10AM and finish at 3PM. This will give you the chance to come along to meet the academics and even meet some of our current students within the Business Faculty to give you an insight into their Student Experience and their opinion about their course!

We also have new halls of residence which is called 'Daniel Defoe.' Our guarantee for Accommodation is that our first year students will be guaranteed an accommodation as long as they apply before the 30th of June, 2016. To see a full list of our Accommodation and the list of fees, please click here.

If you want to know more about the lifestyle, I would suggest that you connect to our Student's Union facebook and twitter. Also you can have a look at what's on now and see if it would be something you would be interested in. :smile:. We have many sports, clubs and societies that you can join in or even set one up! Our Greenwich Campus is only 10 minutes away from the O2 (quick journey to watch some exciting events! :u:) and also there's various public transport to take you to the city and experience night life. If you really want, you can ask to to be placed at the Avery Hill campus for Accommodation as that's close to our SU, Sparrows - that's where all the parties, initiation for sport teams and events take place!

In addition, with our Business School, they are extremely supportive in terms of your employability and providing career advice. Their employability office can help find you a mentor who works in the profession you would like to go into so it's great to help plan ahead as to what you want to do in the future!

I understand how difficult it is to choose a University, because you want to make sure your choosing the best place to spend the next 3 years. It's entirely up to you where you want to go. If you got any further questions, do let me know and I'll be more than happy to help :h:.

Tasnim
Original post by Lucy 13
I was at uni last year but left as didn't enjoy the course. This year I have chosen kent and Greenwich as my top choices. Here's my dilemma, I love the sound of the course at Greenwich advertising, marketing communications and Spanish, however, all I hear is bad things about Greenwich. The teaching, the nightlife, reputation, student facilities... This is really putting me off from going because I want a great uni experience and am worried Greenwich won't offer me that. Then kent is a great uni, good nightlife, high in league tables but the course isn't really me (marketing) especially as it can't be guaranteed I can take Spanish.

I'd really appreciate someone's viewpoint

Hey Lucy,

Okay I study at the University of Greenwich, and I do not regret it one bit I am glad I chose the university above Richmond. The lecturers are lovely they help you as much as they can and also they try to support you as much as possible. The nightlife is good as it is about 10 minutes away from the business centre of Europe, Canary wharf. Also, it is 20 minutes away from Central London. And the nightlife is what you make out of it being 10 minutes away from the 02 nightlife ranges from the SU holding events at sparrows on Avery hill or events such as WWE (which I am going to :biggrin: ) sorry off track at the 02. Also, above everything else it is entirely dependent on you and what you find interesting remember this degree is going to last for three years, that is a very long time. So if you get bored of your degree that is not good. Also, we got a brand new library built with the latest tech and also there are new books coming into the library every year. As well as the library, we have computer labs across the campus in every building with facilities which allow you to book rooms for group presentations and group work. Our library is open 24/7 during the peak learning time (examination and coursework deadlines), which is great when you have deadlines coming close.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :biggrin:.
Remember do what you want not what the world wants.

Ahmed-Student ambassador.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Amukadam95
Hey Lucy,

Okay I study at the University of Greenwich, and I do not regret it one bit I am glad I chose the university above Richmond. The lecturers are lovely they help you as much as they can and also they try to support you as much as possible. The nightlife is good as it is about 10 minutes away from the business centre of Europe, Canary wharf. Also, it is 20 minutes away from Central London. And the nightlife is what you make out of it being 10 minutes away from the 02 nightlife ranges from the SU holding events at sparrows on Avery hill or events such as WWE (which I am going to :biggrin: ) sorry off track at the 02. Also, above everything else it is entirely dependent on you and what you find interesting remember this degree is going to last for three years, that is a very long time. So if you get bored of your degree that is not good. Also, we got a brand new library built with the latest tech and also there are new books coming into the library every year. As well as the library, we have computer labs across the campus in every building with facilities which allow you to book rooms for group presentations and group work. Our library is open 24/7 during the peak learning time (examination and coursework deadlines), which is great when you have deadlines coming close.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :biggrin:.
Remember do what you want not what the world wants.

Ahmed-Student ambassador.

Thank you for your reply.

I've heard i'll only be at uni 3 days a week that seems an incredibly small amount for the £9000 a year.
Would you say employers would look down on my degree if it is from Greenwich as it is low in the league tables?
Original post by Lucy 13
Thank you for your reply.

I've heard i'll only be at uni 3 days a week that seems an incredibly small amount for the £9000 a year.
Would you say employers would look down on my degree if it is from Greenwich as it is low in the league tables?

Hey Lucy,

I understand that it sounds a small amount of contact time for £9,000 a year, however that's what university is. You will have minimal contact time whatever university you go to for example my contact time is 1 day maybe 2 at times however the rest of the work is dependent on yourself. I have to put in 16 hours work per module which times by 4 = 64 hours working time.

In regards with employers not really as a degree is a degree no matter where you get it from. It's a social idea we have if you go to so and so uni then you will not be able to get a job but if you go to a uni which is ranked 10 out of so and so you will be able to go get a good job.

False, the skills are always transferable and pretty much the same flexibility, organization, time-keeping and hard working which is few of the skills employers want. The only difference is the name of the university. One of my friends had an interview with American Express for Financial adviser. I have recently applied for a job as an admissions officer and again those skills were the skills they required which is what you attain with what ever degree you do at whatever institute you choose to go to.

Also League tables do not exist, there is no official government league table that says so and so is the better university. The league tables are conducted by researchers who look at specific parts of the university not as a university as a whole Hence league tables is never the best thing to go by when selecting the University.

What you should do is select where you want to go? and where your heart says you want to go as it is 3 years, you will be paying £27,000 plus for those three years you want to make it a memorable three years which also gets your the qualifications.

That's all I can think of right now haha, if you have any questions feel free to ask :biggrin:.

Thanks Ahmed- Student Ambassador.
Hey Lucy,Was thinking about CS cyber security at Greenwich, it's BBC to get in and is my 1st choice as I feel that that will be the best option (grades wise) as I struggle to get any higher than my current. 1-10 how bad is Greenwich
Hi can you help me with this, so I’ve applied to uni of Sussex and Greenwich with an accountancy and finance with a placement year, I’m struggling which is best to go as sussex has the better ranks of this course but Greenwich has the better nightlife and views?
Hi everyone!

We are just letting everybody know that we will not be appearing as an official rep here for much longer. We will be leaving these threads open so that the conversations can continue. You will still be able to chat to us on TSR as we will have students coming on every now and then to answer questions and share their experiences.

We thought it would be important to leave a message here, we are always open to hearing student feedback to try and make every student experience as good as possible.

We are still here to help through our other communication channels below:

- Give us a call on 020 8331 9000 between 9am and 5pm during the week

- Email us at [email protected]

- Message us in real-time with our livechat feature

Duncan
Original post by UniofGreenwich
Hey :smile:

We're sorry we couldn't get back to you earlier!

We're happy to know that we are one of your top choices and that you like the sound of our degree programme too :h:.

I would strongly recommend to coming along to our next Open Day which is this month on Saturday the 20th. It will start 10AM and finish at 3PM. This will give you the chance to come along to meet the academics and even meet some of our current students within the Business Faculty to give you an insight into their Student Experience and their opinion about their course!

We also have new halls of residence which is called 'Daniel Defoe.' Our guarantee for Accommodation is that our first year students will be guaranteed an accommodation as long as they apply before the 30th of June, 2016. To see a full list of our Accommodation and the list of fees, please click here.

If you want to know more about the lifestyle, I would suggest that you connect to our Student's Union facebook and twitter. Also you can have a look at what's on now and see if it would be something you would be interested in. :smile:. We have many sports, clubs and societies that you can join in or even set one up! Our Greenwich Campus is only 10 minutes away from the O2 (quick journey to watch some exciting events! :u:) and also there's various public transport to take you to the city and experience night life. If you really want, you can ask to to be placed at the Avery Hill campus for Accommodation as that's close to our SU, Sparrows - that's where all the parties, initiation for sport teams and events take place!

In addition, with our Business School, they are extremely supportive in terms of your employability and providing career advice. Their employability office can help find you a mentor who works in the profession you would like to go into so it's great to help plan ahead as to what you want to do in the future!

I understand how difficult it is to choose a University, because you want to make sure your choosing the best place to spend the next 3 years. It's entirely up to you where you want to go. If you got any further questions, do let me know and I'll be more than happy to help :h:.

Tasnim

Don’t believe ANYTHING that comes out of this so-called UNIVERSITY. It IS a TERRIBLE university
Original post by SusanClark
Don’t believe ANYTHING that comes out of this so-called UNIVERSITY. It IS a TERRIBLE university

Go on, give us your experience..
Original post by SusanClark

why not? you can't just say that and leave

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending