The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History - Can you get an A* with a B in AS?

I know this question is asked and answered constantly (so sorry!) But if anyone can provide reassurance that would be great. My history teacher claims that I need an A in AS to get the A* but I thought the requirements were 80% Overall A level and 90% A2 Units? Has anyone ever actually got an A* with a B in Unit 1/2. I've gotten A*'s on every practise paper so far so it would be a shame if I couldn't get it due to AS struggles :/

(Also does anyone know of a thread for A World Divided: Superpower relations?)
Teacher told me the same i think , you can only get A* If you get 90% in as. Idek too much about this tbh , i got full ums ^^
Your teachers wrong. As long as you average 80% and get 90% average in A2 units you'll get the A*. I know its a different subject, but I got an A* in mathematics with a D in one of the AS units, so it's definitely possible.
Reply 3
Original post by mrrsmith
My history teacher claims that I need an A in AS to get the A*
Your teacher is wrong.

I thought the requirements were 80% Overall A level and 90% A2 Units?
You are correct.

Has anyone ever actually got an A* with a B in Unit 1/2.
Yes.

The regulations are common for almost all subjects and all domestic exam boards and are here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit/gce-entry-aggregation-and-certification-20152016
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
Your teacher is wrong.

You are correct.

Yes.

The regulations are common for almost all subjects and all domestic exam boards and are here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit/gce-entry-aggregation-and-certification-20152016

Okay, thanks! It's worrying that so many teachers do not know this :smile:
Reply 5
It's worrying that so many teachers do not know this :smile:

I'd agree - particularly as the rules haven't changed since 2010.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
I'd agree - particularly as the rules haven't changed since 2010.

Exactly! I got ABBB last year despite straight A target grades (due to personal struggles, not academic) and all of my teachers tried to coerce me into retaking all the AS exams I got a B in whilst doing 4 subjects at A2 because it "was the only way to be eligible for the A star". I dread to think how annoyed I would be to have retaken and then find out that it literally would have made no difference as long as I got 90% in A2 units. You would think teachers would know the course they are teaching inside out but apparently not :/

Quick Reply

Latest