The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jasmine Lim
Hey guys, I'm an international student and like @beewilde, I wanted to make sure that everything is correct before I submitted my application.
Hence, I just submitted my application on 15 January.

I had just sat for my LNAT yesterday (20 Jan).

Do you know roughly when my application results will be out? Will it be in March? Thanks guys!! :smile: good luck and hope y'all get into the school of your choice! :smile:

hi Jasmine. how did it go? you were very active and responsive when you needed help for your Lnat which I manage to get the necessary material for you from my friends who sat for the LNAT. but after the LNAT, attempts to get a reply from you were futile. give us an update of how the LNAT went for you and what were your essay topics etc.
Original post by Audrey18
hi Jasmine. how did it go? you were very active and responsive when you needed help for your Lnat which I manage to get the necessary material for you from my friends who sat for the LNAT. but after the LNAT, attempts to get a reply from you were futile. give us an update of how the LNAT went for you and what were your essay topics etc.

Hi audrey, I had replied you on another thread :smile:
Original post by crocface
Thanks. For languages, I am spoilt for Choice. I am Italian, having livied there for 8 years and living in Spain for a further 8 years, So I am tri-lingual Italian/Spanish/English and for IB I am doing French 'B' SL and an extra certificate in Spanish 'A' literature. My hope is to do Italian and go to Bologna (world's oldest university) for the year abroad.

If I get an offer from Bristol I will drop Exeter and firm Bristol with QMUL as insurance. If I don't get Bristol Exeter will be my insurance.

Yeah I had to choose between Spanish and French as I study both at a level, I'm waiting on KCL as they would probably be my firm with Exeter as insurance.
Original post by beewilde
How long after applying to Bristol did you guys get offers? I applied about a week and a half ago (would have loved to have applied sooner but as an international student I had to take extra care in applying correctly), and I received my confirmation email two days after but haven't heard anything from my other universities since. I currently hold an ABB equivalent but I'm expected to achieve AAABB A-Level equivalent within the next month.

My application was sent off on November 18th - so have had a bit of a wait, but so has everyone with Bristol!... Now the deadline has passed they might not take so long to get back to you but then again they are very popular so will have a lot of applicants to get through... Good luck and just forget about it for now as it could be a while until you hear!
I've seen a few people now say they will insurance QMUL, but this is a higher offer than Bristol and others, are they likely to accept lower??
Got an offer for today from Exeter for Law with European Study (4 years), M124

"This offer is subject to you obtaining 36 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma,
including 5points at Standard Level in Modern Languages and 4 points at Higher Level in English"

Already got QMUL offer (IB37, HL18)
Already rejected from Oxford and Kings. I think both didnt like my LNAT
Still waiting for Bristol, but if my LNAT was that bad I would have though they would have rejected me earlier, so still hopeful.

What were your predicted IB points overall and for your HLs, if you do not mind me asking? Also when did you apply and take the LNAT? When did King's reply?

I got an offer from Bristol about a week ago, but still waiting on KCL :/
Actually, considering that I got an offer from Bristol, can I assume that my LNAT went well? Also, which one is harder to get in: KCL or Bristol?
Original post by galatasaray1905
Actually, considering that I got an offer from Bristol, can I assume that my LNAT went well? Also, which one is harder to get in: KCL or Bristol?

I think KCL is way harder to get in
Original post by Audrey18
Hi chubby cheeks. I have no idea what you're on about. you've mixed me up with someone else. I applied to Bath for politics with economics. Nowhere did I say I attained A*A*A* or high points for the IB. Because of your miscomprehension, you have suggested that Sussex and Sunderland are lousy unis? :s-smilie: You have hurt my feelings and many here who have applied to those unis. I demand an immediate apology from you.

nowhere did I say that Kings was the best for law. I said that Kings, (after hearing and watching audio/video lectures from LSE, UCL, SOAS and Queen Mary that my friends in those unis had kindly emailed me) for me, was the best for law because the lecturers from Kings
1) spoke in good British english
2) were able to sustain my attention span
3) were able to use wide vocabulary
4) gave timely breaks and a whole lot more.

International students from outside of Europe will definitely value my output when wanting to firm their 1st and 2nd uni choices. I'm certain they don't want to get into some uni based on rankings and reputation (as many on this forum only seem to be greatly interested in) only to find that they cannot make sense of what the lecturers are saying :eek:

You harp on uni rankings and reputation. I am more concerned with the level of teaching quality.

Chubby cheeks... Meh...

Firstly, no I did not imply anything unknown about said unis. Someone who has A*AA/40IB is extremely unlikely to be applying to Sunderland or Sussex. What did I say that was so shocking to you?

So, you applied to Bath for P&E, to Sussex/Sunderland for Law, and you watched all the recordings of LSE/KCL/UCL AND QMUL...??

Sounds reliable....

Secondly, you have such a shallow understand of how university works. So, what you're saying is that you couldn't understand what the lecturers were saying? Cause that would be a first to hear.
It's the university and its reputation that will affect your career prospects (to a certain extent of course). It's not the accent of your professor...

Sure you are... sure.
Original post by *Stefan*
Chubby cheeks... Meh...

Firstly, no I did not imply anything unknown about said unis. Someone who has A*AA/40IB is extremely unlikely to be applying to Sunderland or Sussex. What did I say that was so shocking to you?

So, you applied to Bath for P&E, to Sussex/Sunderland for Law, and you watched all the recordings of LSE/KCL/UCL AND QMUL...??

Sounds reliable....

Secondly, you have such a shallow understand of how university works. So, what you're saying is that you couldn't understand what the lecturers were saying? Cause that would be a first to hear.
It's the university and its reputation that will affect your career prospects (to a certain extent of course). It's not the accent of your professor...

Sure you are... sure.

Hi chubby cheeks.

1) i wanted to have a feel of how the lectures in these tops unis were conducted. I also wanted to use the info given in these lectures when i'm making notes for my first year uni subjects. hope that clears things up.

2) being able to understand what the lecturer is saying and how he or she conveys the points across is very crucial and can be the difference between failing and passing a subject. many of the law subjects are dry so the quality of the lecturers' teaching is crucial here.

you have your opinion and I have mine. You and many here harp on reputation and rankings of unis. I for one am only interested in the level of teaching quality. I am not taking a student or bank loan so I want to be able to get my money's worth.
Original post by sjmyatt11
I've seen a few people now say they will insurance QMUL, but this is a higher offer than Bristol and others, are they likely to accept lower??

Yes. Looking at a lot of stats there is a marked difference with what QMUL officially asked for and what people there actually got. Not so for Bristol. That means for me they must be more leniant. I am gambling they will drop 1 or 2 grades if necessary if they like you and I get the impression they like European IB students, based on the fact I got an offer within a week way back in October and I see other A level candidates waiting for months.

The other aspect is that for me and my particular IB subjects, Bristol is the harder offer to fulfil as they want 6 in all 3 HL subjects, whereas QMUL say they just want a total of HL18. I'm predicting I will get 5,6,7 in HL. The extra IB point needed by QMUL is not an issue for me as I have an extra 6-7 points anyway as I am doing 7 subjects instead of 6 and I pre-checked with them that they would look favourably on this scenario.
What were your predicted IB points overall and for your HLs, if you do not mind me asking? Also when did you apply and take the LNAT? When did King's reply?

I got an offer from Bristol about a week ago, but still waiting on KCL :/

I was predicted IB39 with HL6,6,6 I sat LNAT early October and applied October 15th.

With King's they replied within 2 weeks saying I did not meet the predicted HL6,6,7 criteria even though I pre explained before applying that the criteria was a bit much since only 2-3% of IB students worldwide actually get a 7 in my 3 subjects, and so no school could realistically predict anything but a 6. In addition I explained I am doing 7 IB subjects instead of 6 adding an extra 15% workload. They said they would look upon the application leniently. I was pretty pissed off with them, as I wasted one choice which I would otherwise have used on Durham.

KCL harder but mainly for rediculous reasons especially for IB candidates
Hi, could I ask for some advice regarding firming?

I'm stuck between firming UCL or Birmingham. I've got an unconditional offer from Birmingham (provided I firm it), and a conditional of A*AA for UCL. UCL is easily my favourite university, however the entry requirement is intimidating, whereas Birmingham would allow me more security if results don't got as planned. I'd either put Birmingham or Bristol as my insurance (both AAA) if I were to firm UCL, but that's still high haha. I'm really conflicted between playing it safe and picking Birmingham, or risking it and going for UCL!

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I was predicted IB39 with HL6,6,6 I sat LNAT early October and applied October 15th.

With King's they replied within 2 weeks saying I did not meet the predicted HL6,6,7 criteria even though I pre explained before applying that the criteria was a bit much since only 2-3% of IB students worldwide actually get a 7 in my 3 subjects, and so no school could realistically predict anything but a 6. In addition I explained I am doing 7 IB subjects instead of 6 adding an extra 15% workload. They said they would look upon the application leniently. I was pretty pissed off with them, as I wasted one choice which I would otherwise have used on Durham.

ohh damn sorry :/ as an IB student I understand how challenging it must be for you. How come do you take 7 IB subjects? are you not full diploma?
Original post by Jedwards

I'm stuck between firming UCL or Birmingham. I've got an unconditional offer from Birmingham (provided I firm it), and a conditional of A*AA for UCL. UCL is easily my favourite university, however the entry requirement is intimidating, whereas Birmingham would allow me more security if results don't got as planned. I'd either put Birmingham or Bristol as my insurance (both AAA) if I were to firm UCL, but that's still high haha. I'm really conflicted between playing it safe and picking Birmingham, or risking it and going for UCL!

I know your situation. I think you have to ask yourself how realistic is it for you to get A*AA. If you do stand a chance for A*AA, I think you can risk it because in the end, you can go to your favourite university knowing you have earned it. And also do think the possibility of you firming Birmingham and dropping UCL but in the end getting the A*AA you wanted.

And what is the possibility of you getting AAA instead of A*AA ? :smile:
Original post by asgunsur
I know your situation. I think you have to ask yourself how realistic is it for you to get A*AA. If you do stand a chance for A*AA, I think you can risk it because in the end, you can go to your favourite university knowing you have earned it. And also do think the possibility of you firming Birmingham and dropping UCL but in the end getting the A*AA you wanted.

And what is the possibility of you getting AAA instead of A*AA ? :smile:

Thanks for responding!

I'm sure as hell going to give it everything I've got, I know I'll try my best. I'm a bit worried about getting an A in English (although Bristol will accept A*AB as an alternative) just because there was some very weird results at my school last year. I still got a B at AS, and I'm retaking the exam and CW, but it's a scary prospect nonetheless.

I'm going to all the applicant days again just to weigh up all the pros and cons, but it's quite a tough decision haha.
Thanks for responding!

I'm sure as hell going to give it everything I've got, I know I'll try my best. I'm a bit worried about getting an A in English (although Bristol will accept A*AB as an alternative) just because there was some very weird results at my school last year. I still got a B at AS, and I'm retaking the exam and CW, but it's a scary prospect nonetheless.

I'm going to all the applicant days again just to weigh up all the pros and cons, but it's quite a tough decision haha.

Hey :smile: may I ask when did you apply and how long did it take for UCL to send you an offer. Congrats and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobkata
Hey :smile: may I ask when did you apply and how long did it take for UCL to send you an offer. Congrats and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!

I applied on the 17th November (I had taken my LNAT in like October) and the offer came through on 22nd December. Mine was surprisingly quick to come through, as I've spoken to several people who are still waiting.

Best of luck, hopefully you'll hear soon! :smile:

Do not fall for the Birmingham unconditional trick. The only reason some Unis give unconditional is because they know there will be places left in clearing. Last year I did a lot of realtime research during clearing for all unis offering law courses that I might be interested in. Birmingham was in clearing both from the beginning of IB results day and A level results day. That tells me you will highly likely get it in clearing anyway, especially as they have already given you an offer. Therefore don´t waste your chance of a hard earned place at UCL or Bristol which would never be in clearing.