The Student Room Group

I've had 18 hours of lessons..

So, I do one lesson a week each lasting 2 hours and I was wondering whether I am on track, as I feel like its going quite slowly.

So far all we have basically covered are:

Stop/start obviously, driving on main roads, roundabouts, emergency stop, turning the road (minor to major and visa versa), and 3 point turn (manoeuvre). I've done 18 hours and I am slightly concerned. Shouldnt I have done like parking and stuff?.. I believe theres 4 manoeuvres to learn and ive done 1 (3 point turn), which he has made me do like 3 or 4 times. Each lesson the only thing we really do is drive and go through roundabouts. I want to pass by 25 hours, ideally.

So, are we going at a slow or normal pace? and do you think it would be possible to pass by 25 hours?

Thanks for the responses.
Reply 1
Original post by qwerty123A
So, I do one lesson a week each lasting 2 hours and I was wondering whether I am on track, as I feel like its going quite slowly.

Stop/start obviously, driving on main roads, roundabouts, emergency stop, turning the road (minor to major and visa versa), and 3 point turn (manoeuvre). I've done 18 hours and I am slightly concerned. Shouldnt I have done like parking and stuff?.. I believe theres 4 manoeuvres to learn and ive done 1 (3 point turn), which he has made me do like 3 or 4 times. Each lesson the only thing we really do is drive and go through roundabouts. I want to pass by 25 hours, ideally.

So, are we going at a slow or normal pace? and do you think it would be possible to pass by 25 hours?

everyone learns at different speeds but the more lessons you have the better driver you will be when you pass. Are you going to be driving regularly when you pass aa that's important to build confidence?

From this link

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/5156/dsa-ia0077311a.pdf

it seems that there are not many official statistics around about success rates for specific lengths of time spent practising (anecdotally, it does seem that there are some people out there who take to driving like a duck to water, and others who have hours of practice, and up to seven attempts before passing the practical driving test!)
Reply 3
I personally passed after 17 hours of lessons and maybe 2-3 hours driving with my dad in the passenger seat.

Don't be worried though as it takes different people different amounts of time!

Are you male or female? There is an interesting article here about a survey done on learning to drive:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7672611/Women-need-more-lessons-than-men-to-pass-driving-test.html
Reply 5
I knew I would get these ''everyones different'' replies. The thing is, im actually a fairly good driver.. I get things first time and very rarely stall if ever. Ive done 18 hours and the highest gear i've been on is 3rd. I havent even been on a dual carriage way, and last lesson he said I wont be on one for a while. Driving back and forth on this one main road is getting boring now.
Reply 6
What had you guys done by 18-20 hours of driving?
Bit concerning that you've not yet been on a dual carriageway. I had 40hrs of lessons before my test but I think I had done most (if not all) of the manouevres by my 20th lesson.
Have you thought about having a lesson with a different driving instructor so they can assess if you're going at the right pace with your other instructor? Some instructors will really try to drag out the lessons for extra money.
Reply 8
Original post by stirkee
I personally passed after 17 hours of lessons and maybe 2-3 hours driving with my dad in the passenger seat.

Don't be worried though as it takes different people different amounts of time!

Yeah I need to do some driving with a parent aswell. What type of insurance did you get (like a month/week/day)? and how much did it cost?, if you dont mind me asking..
Reply 9
Yeah I need to do some driving with a parent aswell. What type of insurance did you get (like a month/week/day)? and how much did it cost?, if you dont mind me asking..

month/week/day?

dunno. paid for the full year in advance, had my parents as named drivers. first car was a 2012 1.4 corsa sxi, it wasn't too expensive though i cant remember how much.

got an A3 now :~)
Original post by stirkee
month/week/day?

dunno. paid for the full year in advance, had my parents as named drivers. first car was a 2012 1.4 corsa sxi, it wasn't too expensive though i cant remember how much.

got an A3 now :~)

You know when you said you had ''2-3 hours of driving with dad'', im guessing it was when you had your provisional licence, driving your dads car.. you have to insure yourself on their car for a certain period of time (during which the insurance premium is more expensive). Dont worry if you dont remember lol. And ah i like A3's - very nice :smile:.
You know when you said you had ''2-3 hours of driving with dad'', im guessing it was when you had your provisional licence, driving your dads car.. you have to insure yourself on their car for a certain period of time (during which the insurance premium is more expensive). Dont worry if you dont remember lol. And ah i like A3's - very nice :smile:.

OHHH sorry i see

Nah i was just insured on that corsa, and then i think the insurance was just updated when I passed. Definitely wasn't insured daily. My parents always pay yearly so i'm guessing yearly

sorry i can't help!
(edited 8 years ago)
What had you guys done by 18-20 hours of driving?

I took 16 hours of lessons to pass, but three tests... I did a lot of driving with my parents as well and I'm sure that helped a lot. First ten hours with a local instructor (then failed test) followed by three lessons with the same guy, then a further three with a friend of my parents for the final test. I took the second and third tests in my parents car. The second test (after 13 hours of lessons) wasn't actually failed - the examiner abandoned the test after 2 or 3 minutes due to an airbag warning light coming on.

This was 9 years ago, and the test has become more stringent since, so the lessons may have to be more extensive - I'm not sure!

Passed my motorbike test first time earlier this year though so not all's bad eh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Took me about 9 lessons (total 15 hours of learning) to pass from absolute scratch (never drove a car before and was a total novice). First 5 hours I couldn't get my head around the clutch business but after that everything just clicked and I flew through it all. I was test ready after 12 hours (7 lessons) but my booked test came so late that I had to do a 3 hour refresher lesson on the day of my test. That was a pretty bad idea as I was shattered when my actual test came but thankfully passed first time.

I think it's really important to get a good driving instructor. Many of them seem super nice on their face but they will be purposely stretching out your lessons for as long as possible to maximize fees. I was lucky enough to have an uncle who's a professional driving instructor and understood my ability to learn things at an alarmingly fast rate. Once I knew I'd gotten used to the clutch I told him "I want you to chuck me in the deep end if you trust me" he looked at me and nodded which gave me a massive confident boost and after that it all came like second nature to me.

From hearing my friends stories, a lot of these instructors want you to feel useless so that you think you need them more than you really do. If you haven't done all your manoeuvres yet then I feel your instructor is playing you.
Interesting how many had done all their manuvours after a few lessons. My driving instructor didn't teach me the turn round the corner or parallel park till after around 35 hours and then I had my test very soon after and didn't have adequate preparation on these two manuvours (I don't get any practise other than the lessons) This resulted in me failing my first test as I got the turn round the corner but we had only practised it around 3 times :/
Feel a bit ripped off now.
Reply 15
Original post by tcameron
Interesting how many had done all their manuvours after a few lessons. My driving instructor didn't teach me the turn round the corner or parallel park till after around 35 hours and then I had my test very soon after and didn't have adequate preparation on these two manuvours (I don't get any practise other than the lessons) This resulted in me failing my first test as I got the turn round the corner but we had only practised it around 3 times :/
Feel a bit ripped off now.

Don't want to sound like a conspiracy nut but this also sounds like an instructor purposely setting a pupil up to fail so they come back for more lessons. :/
Reply 16
tcameron - that sounds awful! Instructors should really be teaching manoeuvres early on, if you are confident, and once you have clutch control down (and manoeuvring itself will improve clutch control). From what I remember, I learned all of them between about lessons 6-15, and had a few attempts until I was consistently good, and able to adapt and correct confidently. OP - How is your instructor? Do they push you to learn? If you feel like you're not being challenged, I would suggest looking for a new instructor. This stuff is not cheap!
Original post by Soulfood
tcameron - that sounds awful! Instructors should really be teaching manoeuvres early on, if you are confident, and once you have clutch control down (and manoeuvring itself will improve clutch control). From what I remember, I learned all of them between about lessons 6-15, and had a few attempts until I was consistently good, and able to adapt and correct confidently. OP - How is your instructor? Do they push you to learn? If you feel like you're not being challenged, I would suggest looking for a new instructor. This stuff is not cheap!

Learning them between 6-15 hours would have been the best thing to do but its too late for that now :frown:. My (old) instructor was doing everything at such a slow pace, it may have been that i was having 2 hr lessons so he thought he could stretch an hour lesson into two instead of viewing them as two separate hour lessons if you know what i mean. Im currently looking for a new instructor and im going to tell them from the start that im not looking to get my time wasted.
Reply 18
Don't worry, now that you've had more driving experience in other areas, I'm sure your control of the car will be good for the manoeuvres. They're pretty simple to grasp so you'll be fine. Definitely get you on the 2 hour lessons - there are many rip off instructors out there! Also, I was in a hurry to pass (learned intensively) and my instructor knew that, so he pushed me at a good pace. I found him through a local driving school and he had amazing reviews on their website.
I’ve had 18 hours of lessons and I’ve done dual carriageways and a couple of manoeuvres and roundabouts and what not, I’ve gone upto 5th gear and done 70mph so maybe you need to change instructor? Seems like he’s fobbing you off to get more hours in makes more money that way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending