The Student Room Group

My biggest wish is to be a wife and a mother. Is that wrong?

Is this wrong in the 21st century?

Now I'm not saying I want to be a housewife. I do want to be a co provider for my children. I was thinking about going into teaching after I finish uni so that I'm able to look after the children in the holidays, or find a job where I can work from home.

I do fear though that in this day and age that I may never find someone to take care of to start a family with. I don't want to waste my precious years as there is only limited time.

Scroll to see replies

No its not wrong, but feminazis will think that you want to take that path because you're being oppressed.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a wife or a mother. Feminism is about equality after all, and also in respecting women and their choices, that includes if they want to be a wife, a mother, even a stay at home mother, which I see from your post you don't want to be which is equally okay, if that is what they want then that is okay.
no of course it's not wrong.
Original post by Anonymous

Now I'm not saying I want to be a housewife. I do want to be a co provider for my children. I was thinking about going into teaching after I finish uni so that I'm able to look after the children in the holidays, or find a job where I can work from home.

I do fear though that in this day and age that I may never find someone to take care of to start a family with. I don't want to waste my precious years as there is only limited time.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I admire you for your wishes. :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by The Diplomat.
No its not wrong, but feminazis will think that you want to take that path because you're being oppressed.

I actually feel more oppressed in the rat race but that's nothing to do with being a woman it just does nothing for me. I'm at a uni where people can be quite competitive (UCL) but I just want to do my own thing and be happy and make success on my own terms rather than chase some corporate dream.
Reply 6
there's people into that more traditional approach still don't worry :wink:
it's prefectly normal :smile:
Very wrong. You should want to be a loving wife and mother.
Reply 8
Original post by Kay_Winters
There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a wife or a mother. Feminism is about equality after all, and also in respecting women and their choices, that includes if they want to be a wife, a mother, even a stay at home mother, which I see from your post you don't want to be which is equally okay, if that is what they want then that is okay.

Indeed I would hope that they would respect my choice as a woman to believe that the most fulfilling and thing I could do according to my own desires and definition of success would be to nurture a loving family rather than to earn 6 figures.
Reply 9
Original post by ByronicHero
Very wrong. You should want to be a loving wife and mother.

Yes, of course I do.
Yes, of course I do.

Then I am happy to announce that, pending a picture of you looking peng, I will both impregnate and marry you.

You're welcome.
Reply 11
Original post by The Diplomat.

But she is... see what the patriarchy has done to you. Dont worry our lord and savior cthulhu will find salvation for you.
Indeed I would hope that they would respect my choice as a woman to believe that the most fulfilling and thing I could do according to my own desires and definition of success would be to nurture a loving family rather than to earn 6 figures.

There are lots of people out there who want to be mothers, and would want to be a wife at some point if they meet the right person. There is nothing at all wrong with this, nor is there anything wrong with wanting this and a career, or anything wrong with not wanting to be a mother or a wife at all. Ultimately a person knows what they want, and if this is what you want then that is perfectly okay.

Yes, of course I do.

I think byronichero was being slightly sarcastic, I wouldn't worry
There's nothing wrong with doing somethint which makes you happy.
Can I ask what age you are? The reason I ask is when I was 19,20 and all through my twenties I was very broody. I really wanted to find the perfect man and have his babies. But I was also a professional dancer at the Moulin Rouge in Paris. I had trained in classical ballet for eight and a half years from the age of nine and I was not going to throw away my career just because I wanted a baby. So I worked all over the world,had a great time,and then when I was 29 I knew it was the right time for me. Luckily I met someone ,who at the time I thought was special and very quickly I became pregnant. I now have a wonderful son who is nearly 19.The relationship didn`t last too long because he was a violent alcoholic. But I have my child that I have always wanted. But if I had got pregnant any sooner I would have felt cheated out of life. That`s just me. You have to do what is right for you. But I have a LOT of friends who got pregnant quite young. I have to say every single one of them regrets not waiting.

In this day and age, men should be actually more scared of woman who says she wants to be a housewife than one who says she wants to focus on her career.

Because when you do inevitably get divorced (50% chance), its the housewife who is going to drain you for every penny you've got, not the career woman.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Apollyon.
In this day and age, men should be actually more scared of woman who says she wants to be a housewife than one who says she wants to focus on her career.

Because when you do inevitably get divorced (50% chance), its the housewife who is going to drain you for every penny you've got, not the career woman.

Did you not read the part where I said I do not want to be housewife, but I want to co provide for my family? All am I saying is that it is more important to me than being in the rat race and chasing the corporate dream.
Not wrong at all. :smile: Do what makes you happy (within reason).
Aw, there's nothing wrong with this at all.
I sincerely wish you the best- I'm sure you will be a great wife and awesome mother :h:
It's not wrong in any sense. It's noble and respectable. That's a very positive aspiration to have, good luck with it. It's very nice to see that you're passionate about this, you seem to care about it very much and that's admirable.

Latest

Trending

Trending