The Student Room Group

Cancelling Hotel - Hotel still want to charge - Transfer all my money out?

I was going to a hotel.

I had to cancel.

The cost is £115 and in dorset fml

They say I have missed their cancel time

They have my credit card account.

Can I transfer all my money to my paypal account so that they dont take it out of my account. Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Or you could just avoid all the hassle and pay the £74.
Damn girl get the first plane to Moscow cus your in for a cold day
Unless you can find something in the contract which you can show them to prove you don't have to pay you will most likely have to pay, and if you don't they'll either just give up, or they could potentially chase you for the money
Original post by Potally_Tissed

what,really?

Original post by Das Ich Man
Damn girl get the first plane to Moscow cus your in for a cold day

Original post by Potally_Tissed

Original post by Kay_Winters
Unless you can find something in the contract which you can show them to prove you don't have to pay you will most likely have to pay, and if you don't they'll either just give up, or they could potentially chase you for the money

If I transfer all the money out?

Can they still charge on a debit card?
Original post by Mihael_Keehl

They wouldn't be able to take the money no, but they could chase you for payment regardless as I understand it
what,really?

Yeah, you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Heard of an overdraft? What are you planning to do, just never use that account again?
Original post by Kay_Winters
They wouldn't be able to take the money no, but they could chase you for payment regardless as I understand it

Could they actually take it to court as such.

Thanks for your help btw.
Reply 9
They might take the money and leave your bank overdrawn - or keep hassling you. They may pass the money on to a collection agency who will add extra charges.
you should book a one way ticket to yemen.
I was going to a hotel.

I had to cancel.

The cost is £74 something

They have my debit card account.

Can I transfer all my money to my paypal account so that they dont take it out of my account. Thanks
I was going to a hotel.

I had to cancel.

The cost is £74 something

They have my debit card account.

Most hotels would allow you to move your dates forward.

So,phone up and tell them that you got a flight 2 weeks later and you want to move your dates.

Hopefully, you should now be within the cancellation time and they may not charge you for cancellation.
Could they actually take it to court as such.

Thanks for your help btw.

I am unsure about taking it to court, especially with how small the payment is I doubt they'd want to pay fees of taking the issue to court at all, as it likely wouldn't be worth it at all
Original post by TheArtofProtest

So,phone up and tell them that you got a flight 2 weeks later and you want to move your dates.

Hopefully, you should now be within the cancellation time and they may not charge you for cancellation.

Do you think it would work if I tried to postpone and then cancelled a week from now.

the hotel is for tomorrow, will that be a problem?

Do you think thanks for your help
the hotel is for tomorrow, will that be a problem?

Do you think thanks for your help

Do you not think you're being slightly unreasonable NOT paying them considering they likely won't be able to re-book that business at 8pm in the evening for the next day?
Do you think it would work if I tried to postpone and then cancelled a week from now.

Find their postponing and cancellation policy and then take it from there.

Or, if you are outside the time of their policy, then it's still worth phoning up and speaking personally because they may be able to do something at short notice.
Just pay it. You agreed to stay in the room and now they might struggle to let it because you've changed your mind. You agreed to the terms so deal with the consequences.
Find their postponing and cancellation policy and then take it from there.

Or, if you are outside the time of their policy, then it's still worth phoning up and speaking personally because they may be able to do something at short notice.

I can't find anythin it is very obscure.

Should I just call them up and ask them if I can postpone and try to cancel on later.

I will do this tomorrow if it does not get resolved.
I can't find anythin it is very obscure.

Should I just call them up and ask them if I can postpone and try to cancel on later.

Yes, call them up as soon as possible.

Depending on the hotel in question, many of them overbook customers because they know some people would cancel at the last minute.

Try to postpone it for a week and then call up the next day or so, and cancel. Normally, there is no charge if you cancel X days in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest