The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

How is PC gaming in university accomodation? (Catered/Non-Catered)

Hi, I am a prospective undergraduate and I after looking on the internet I have heard that the campus internet can be quite poor/block online gaming, which is something that I am interested in. If a current student could let me know if it works/ how fast it is that would be great. I would be interested in using steam and also some blizzard games like hearthstone or soon overwatch.
They block WoW and pretty much every STEAM game m7. Lord Gaben led an army against Nottingham in 2012 but suffered great casualties.

RIP to ur gaming rig. Death from cobwebs n dust. x
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by High Stakes
They block WoW and pretty much every STEAM game m7. Lord Gaben led an army against Nottingham in 2012 but suffered great casualties.

RIP to ur gaming rig. Death from cobwebs n dust. x

Is this just on the campus internet and catered halls, or does this apply to the self catered as well? nevertheless this is pretty annoying.
Reply 3
I play Dota often, never had any problems. Self-catered hall.
Reply 4
Does anyone use Ethernet connection and can give the actual down/up speeds?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Reply 5
Original post by Jimmy_M
Does anyone use Ethernet connection and can give the actual down/up speeds?

catered - jubilee campus
Reply 6
Original post by finkployd

catered - jubilee campus

Thanks a lot!
Not too bad then, was expecting worse if I'm honest. How many ports are there in your room?
Reply 7
Original post by Jimmy_M
Thanks a lot!
Not too bad then, was expecting worse if I'm honest. How many ports are there in your room?

Yes it is decent, haven't had any problems with it as of yet. There are two ports in every room as far is i'm aware, only one of mine works tho :/
Reply 8

University park is better than Jubilee, my ethernet cable broke moving out so this is wi-fi speeds. Get 17m/s ping on ethernet playing LoL.

Also, I can't connect to teamspeak or steam or LoL over Eduroam, anyone else got this problem?
Reply 9
Original post by milky228

University park is better than Jubilee, my ethernet cable broke moving out so this is wi-fi speeds. Get 17m/s ping on ethernet playing LoL.

Also, I can't connect to teamspeak or steam or LoL over Eduroam, anyone else got this problem?

jelly of those speeds
pretty much anything gaming is blocked on eduroam i believe

Thanks for the reply, those speeds look nice. What exactly do you mean by Eduroam? I had heard people say that some gaming at Nottingham was blocked but I wasn't sure to what degree.
Reply 11
I've heard halls block PSN too, is this true?
Original post by StaticImpulse
Hi, I am a prospective undergraduate and I after looking on the internet I have heard that the campus internet can be quite poor/block online gaming, which is something that I am interested in. If a current student could let me know if it works/ how fast it is that would be great. I would be interested in using steam and also some blizzard games like hearthstone or soon overwatch.

Just change unis. DansGame
Original post by StaticImpulse
Thanks for the reply, those speeds look nice. What exactly do you mean by Eduroam? I had heard people say that some gaming at Nottingham was blocked but I wasn't sure to what degree.

eduroam is the wifi in halls and anywhere on campus. they block all (or most) gaming on it so you have to use ethernet which works fine
I played Minecraft (still do) and had no problems with the internet back when I lived in 1st year catered accommodation.

Holy ****. These are literally 50x better than mine at home wtf
I play steam games for CSS (Sorry, I still can't stop playing after ALL these years) & FM16... But I also have an Xbox One. I hope theres no online stipulations regarding me playing that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending