The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Intermum
Thank you for your reply. I will let her know, she did extremely well in her Physics GCSE so I will have a chat to her and see if she was aware of what you have told me and whether that may affect her decision for uni's.

Thanks again

In first year Dynamics and Relativity is the course the is Mechanics/Physics.
So maybe ask her to do alot of Mechanics so this might rid the AT's of fears of lack of physics. The AT can clear this if this advice is not appropriate. Plus Mechanics modules are very attractive to stats or decision in maths applications. Maybe M1-3+ these modules will then form part of the Maths and FM a level and will prepare fir first year Dyn and relativity as alot of principles are covered in those modules relevant to the course.
M4/5 has more relevant mechanics then Physics A level does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
What subject are you applying for? You'll never get in for French with those! GCSE results are not important and are only ever considered in the context of your school. If you're on track to meet the typical offer, you shouldn't be put off.

Economics hopefully and I know my GCSE results were in the top 10% of the cohort.
Original post by jamestg
Which set of A-levels would you prefer me to take to A2?

Maths, Politics and Biology
or
Maths, Politics and History

Also how much importance do you place on GCSEs - would one A*, five As and 5 Bs seriously impact me, even if I get predicted A*AA or more.

For Economics, the typical offer is very likely to be increasing to A*A*A with Maths essential and Further Maths and Economics (or Business Studies if Economics isn't available) highly advantageous. You should be aware that you don't have the strongest set of A level subjects for Economics and you will be in competition with many candidates with both Economics and Further Mathematics if you were to apply, but if you have a very good set of AS results, very strong mathematical abilities and some understanding of Economics you should be able to make a competitive application. If you can add some more maths (ideally Further Maths, but if not then odd modules are fine, particularly pure and stats) then you would have a stronger application.

Whilst the Cambridge course is very mathematical, it also involves looking at things from a historical context and quite a bit of essay writing. The decision is yours on which set of subjects you prefer to A2 as neither set will prevent you from applying for Economics and History vs Biology won't affect admissions decisions but History may be marginally more useful in terms of preparation for the course.
(edited 8 years ago)
For Economics, the typical offer is very likely to be increasing to A*A*A with Maths essential and Further Maths and Economics (or Business Studies if Economics isn't available) highly advantageous. You should be aware that you don't have the strongest set of A level subjects for Economics and you will be in competition with many candidates with both Economics and Further Mathematics if you were to apply, but if you have a very good set of AS results, very strong mathematical abilities and some understanding of Economics you should be able to make a competitive application. If you can add some more maths (ideally Further Maths, but if not then odd modules are fine, particularly pure and stats) then you would have a stronger application.

Whilst the Cambridge course is very mathematical, it also involves looking at things from a historical context and quite a bit of essay writing. The decision is yours on which set of subjects you prefer to A2 as neither set will prevent you from applying for Economics and History vs Biology won't affect admissions decisions but History may be marginally more useful in terms of preparation for the course.

I was unable to take Economics and it was suggested that I didn't take Business Studies. I will discuss taking FM with my head of sixth form, focussing on doing FP1, S2 and S3 units.

I am doing an EPQ on the economic impacts of leaving the EU, as well as summer school on an economics course.

A*A*A shouldn't be a problem considering Maths and Politics are two VERY strong subjects of mine. Obviously at the moment I don't want to get too ahead of myself so I'll stick with A*AA.
Reply 44
I mean that the NHS rejected my GP's referral to CAMHS, because effectively my illness isn't bad enough. Whilst I have suffered disruption to my education, especially because I also have depression which means completing homework and independent study (kind of needed for A levels) is difficult for me, I assumed that my education hasn't been disrupted 'enough' by NHS or your standards to validate an ECF.

Also, what level of support do you offer at your college for those with mental illness or other difficulties? Is this the same at all colleges? I currently meet with someone from my school once a week (who is a trained councillor I believe) and I often see her mid week because I go to her office if I have an anxiety or panic attack. Seeing as I am receiving no support from the NHs, I do find that this helps me.
Original post by qeyoo
I mean that the NHS rejected my GP's referral to CAMHS, because effectively my illness isn't bad enough. Whilst I have suffered disruption to my education, especially because I also have depression which means completing homework and independent study (kind of needed for A levels) is difficult for me, I assumed that my education hasn't been disrupted 'enough' by NHS or your standards to validate an ECF.

Also, what level of support do you offer at your college for those with mental illness or other difficulties? Is this the same at all colleges? I currently meet with someone from my school once a week (who is a trained councillor I believe) and I often see her mid week because I go to her office if I have an anxiety or panic attack. Seeing as I am receiving no support from the NHs, I do find that this helps me.

If you have mental issue, there's university-wide support system provided by University Counselling Service, so the care you will get is same across all colleges. Usually Senior Tutor (=responsible for students' welfare/pastoral care) of your college will refer you to the Service. Or you can contact them directly yourself if you prefer.

http://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi! How highly does Peterhouse value the TSA for Economics? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qeyoo

This is a common misunderstanding. There is no 'qualifying' for the ECF - if you think you've been affected you should ask for a relevant professional (usually a teacher) to complete the form and send it to us by the UCAS deadline. We will only ask you about adjustments to the interview process if you declare a disability at UCAS.

I always strongly encourage all applicants with extenuating circumstances and/or a disability to declare them. If you don't it means we can't take the information into account, adjust the interview procedures and make you comfortable at interview and this means that the process can't function fairly and other applicants have an unfair advantage over you.

In terms of support, there is the University Counselling Service and the Disability Resource Centre. These are available to all students across the University. There's also support available through the central Cambridge University Students' Union. The great thing about being a collegiate university is that there is another extra layer support given by the College, through your personal Tutor and Director of Studies and the college's student union (JCR). Again, this would be available at all colleges.
Original post by Don Joiner
Hi! How highly does Peterhouse value the TSA for Economics? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't currently use the TSA for applicants interviewed in Cambridge. However, admissions tests across the University will be reviewed before the next admissions round so things might change a little.
We don't currently use the TSA for applicants interviewed in Cambridge. However, admissions tests across the University will be reviewed before the next admissions round so things might change a little.

Am I right in saying if someone did M1-5 then Physics A level would be much less of a problem since this covers alot of First years Dynamics and reletivity course?
In the case where someone did not have Physics A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
How do you feel about people applying after A2 grades are released and having a gap year between A2 and first year in order to apply with the strongest grades possible if AS was weak?
You previously said about the entry requirements possible being increased to A*A*A for economics, I was just wondering if this were for definite? Also whether the auto-pooling for post A2 applicants will stay at A*A*A*?
Thanks
Reply 52
Hello,

As a 2017 entry medicine hopeful, I am currently in year 12.

How would the following GCSEs affect my application for medicine: 2 A*s, 7 As, 2 Bs.

Currently, I am sitting Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and the EPQ related in a biological/medical field, I am predicted A,A,A,A,A* this year for those subjects respectively. I will be sitting exams in all subjects this year, so will have UMS numbers to present on my application.

I am from a state school with a disadvantaged background.

I volunteer in a care home, I have work experience set up and plan to do further research placements in the summer.

Look forward to hearing from you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 53

Sounds positive. Hopefully a move towards a more standard approach which would be less confusing for applicants with little knowledge of Cambridge systems.
hi, I was wondering whether an applicant would be particularly disadvantaged in their application to peterhouse for taking 2 'gap years' (for english literature). do different colleges have different policies on years out?
Original post by KMcC_
How do you feel about people applying after A2 grades are released and having a gap year between A2 and first year in order to apply with the strongest grades possible if AS was weak?

This is fine. Many applicants do this every year. If your on track to achieve the typical offer, it's always worth applying in year 13! Don't believe the TSR hype about what a 'typical' applicant achieves at AS.

One occasional exception is for Mathematics where gap years can lead to students losing proficiency in maths skills so we'd want to see evidence of continuing mathematics in the intervening year. For all subjects, we'd want to see a plan for continuing academic engagements to maintain and build your abilities and interest in your subject during your gap year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheNicholas
You previously said about the entry requirements possible being increased to A*A*A for economics, I was just wondering if this were for definite? Also whether the auto-pooling for post A2 applicants will stay at A*A*A*?
Thanks

I think that the change to the typical offer has been agreed. All compulsory pooling criteria will be reviewed at the annual review of the admissions round.
Original post by KS7
Hello,

As a 2017 entry medicine hopeful, I am currently in year 12.

How would the following GCSEs affect my application for medicine: 2 A*s, 7 As, 2 Bs.

Currently, I am sitting Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and the EPQ related in a biological/medical field, I am predicted A,A,A,A,A* this year for those subjects respectively. I will be sitting exams in all subjects this year, so will have UMS numbers to present on my application.

I am from a state school with a disadvantaged background.

I volunteer in a care home, I have work experience set up and plan to do further research placements in the summer.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi, happy to help!

The GCSE requirements for Medicine are Cs in dual award science (or Biology and Physics) and Mathematics so you seem ok there! The typical conditional offer for Medicine is A*A*A and you're studying a great range of subjects for Medicine. You don't need to take all 4 to A level for Cambridge - 3 is fine with Chemistry very strongly recommended (it is essential to AS).

If you are on track to achieve A*A*A then it sounds like you could have the basis for a competitive application. Remember that al information is considered holistically and that this includes contextual information about your school. With your work experience, it is very important to reflect on what the experience has taught you and how you found it (a reflective journal or diary might be an idea) rather than just viewing it as a box-ticking exercise. Quality over quantity! One placement in a care home where you've really thought about what you saw and did and how it affected you is much much better than shadowing a dozen different high-profile doctors if you don't reflect on it. This old thread of ours may be of interest to prospective medics.
Original post by jeangenie
hi, I was wondering whether an applicant would be particularly disadvantaged in their application to peterhouse for taking 2 'gap years' (for english literature). do different colleges have different policies on years out?

It wouldn't disadvantage you per se, but you'd have to show that you've maintained and built your interest, ability and potential over the two gap years with sustained academic engagement. At interview, we'd also expect older candidates to show a highly level of reflection, insight and intellectual maturity.

Different colleges may well view things differently, you'd have to ask them! Do bear in mind that it will be difficult to give you guidance without knowing more about your circumstances so be sure to include that in any emails to admissions offices.
Reply 59
This is fine. Many applicants do this every year. If your on track to achieve the typical offer, it's always worth applying in year 13! Don't believe the TSR hype about what a 'typical' applicant achieves at AS.

One occasional exception is for Mathematics where gap years can lead to students losing proficiency in maths skills so we'd want to see evidence of continuing mathematics in the intervening year. For all subjects, we'd want to see a plan for continuing academic engagements to maintain and build your abilities and interest in your subject during your gap year.

Is there a popular/common way of keeping up Maths throughout the year?

Latest

Trending

Trending