The Student Room Group

Do you think the police are a good thing or not?

'The police' are facing massive cuts in numbers of officers, which is not good.

However the other day a women driver was arrested for eating a banana whilst in her car even though she wasn't even driving as she was stuck in traffic. The over zealous officer threw the book at her. It seems 'The Police' have nothing better to do.

She ended up appearing in court got a criminal record and ban. With that record she is forbidden from working in schools or with miners. She can't travel to the US as the Americans these days forbid entry to anyone with a criminal record.

In effect her life has been ruined by a jobs worth police officer trying to act clever or big. Well maybe these police cuts are a good thing. When the police do things like this then the fewer police the better. I'd rather tax payers money went to better causes like the NHS, welfare or education.

I used to like the police but my support is diminishing rapidly and so is public support for them.

We can only hope that this officer will be one of the first to be made redundant and end up jobless. Won't look too clever then!

Are 'The Police' a good thing or not what experiences do you have of them?

Scroll to see replies

The Police as a service are good for communities however many police officers are bad at their job and some think that they are above the law when in fact they should be even morally upstanding to set a good example
Damn, poor woman :redface:

Of course we need the police. Some officers may be dicks, but in the bigger picture they are imperative to our safety.

Would you rather have a lawless, anarchist society?
Original post by Ambitious1999

However the other day a women driver was arrested for eating a banana whilst in her car even though she wasn't even driving as she was stuck in traffic. The over zealous officer threw the book at her. It seems 'The Police' have nothing better to do.

She ended up appearing in court got a criminal record and ban. With that record she is forbidden from working in schools or with miners. She can't travel to the US as the Americans these days forbid entry to anyone with a criminal record.

In effect her life has been ruined by a jobs worth police officer trying to act clever or big. Well maybe these police cuts are a good thing. When the police do things like this then the fewer police the better. I'd rather tax payers money went to better causes like the NHS, welfare or education.

I used to like the police but my support is diminishing rapidly and so is public support for them.

We can only hope that this officer will be one of the first to be made redundant and end up jobless. Won't look too clever then!

if she was called Anna the judge could have said ....

Spoiler

:hat2:
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
Damn, poor woman :redface:

Of course we need the police. Some officers may be dicks, but in the bigger picture they are imperative to our safety.

Would you rather have a lawless, anarchist society?

In 1960s China, Mao put the students and youths in charge of policing and it worked well.
Original post by the bear
if she was called Anna the judge could have said ....

Spoiler

:hat2:

Damn that was smooth :lol:

In 1960s China, Mao put the students and youths in charge of policing and it worked well.

Smh don't like that dude

Why do you put the police in quotes ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
She deserved the stick she got.

There is a time and place to eat a banana and it definitely isn't behind the wheel.
I like the police, they're doing their job to make the community safe for us all.
Can't work with miners? Daaamn.
The Police are good and they keep us safe. I'd like to see a larger police presence in the UK. The British police are seen as some of the best in the world.
Yes and no. Yes because they're a way to keep neighbourhoods safe from criminals. No because they're often racist and corrupt, and can/are used by governments to keep their citizens in check when they do something the government doesn't like.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Can't work with miners? Daaamn.

Good job all the pits are shut now, anyway!
Original post by Sgt_Haytham
She deserved the stick she got.

There is a time and place to eat a banana and it definitely isn't behind the wheel.

But the officer could have used his discretion and given her a stern telling off or even a fine instead of making her go to court and ruining her life and reputation with a criminal record. But he decided to act big or thought he was clever. Just be thankful the police officer wasn't also the magistrate otherwise she'd be doing bird as well.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Good job all the pits are shut now, anyway!

What's the connection with pits or coal industry?
But the officer could have used his discretion and given her a stern telling off or even a fine instead of making her go to court and ruining her life and reputation with a criminal record. But he decided to act big or thought he was clever. Just be thankful the police officer wasn't also the magistrate otherwise she'd be doing bird as well.

How he acted doesn't concern you... it was his discretion (i.e his choice).

You shouldn't be eating, drinking, smoking or talking on the phone when at the wheel. Talking on the phone is against the law, but it is up to the police officer to choose whether he thinks you might be endangering those in the car and around you. Don't be mad.
What's the connection with pits or coal industry?

"...she is forbidden from working in schools or with miners"

Why did you put the police in quotes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james.proctor
The Police are good and they keep us safe. I'd like to see a larger police presence in the UK. The British police are seen as some of the best in the world.

I once thought that more police were a good thing, but when things like this happen and peoples lives and futures are ruined by over zealous cops looking for easy targets and stamping down on people people for very petty offences then it will be much better when these massive police cuts take effect.

We are a generally law abiding society and can look after ourselves with things like crime prevention and technology.
I once thought that more police were a good thing, but when things like this happen and peoples lives and futures are ruined by over zealous cops looking for easy targets and stamping down on people people for very petty offences then it will be much better when these massive police cuts take effect.

We are a generally law abiding society and can look after ourselves with things like crime prevention and technology.

Why did you put the police in quotes in the original post?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest