The Student Room Group

Is it something about me?

I don't understand what's going on, but recently it's been feeling as though my peers have all had some kind of a group meeting and decided to abandon me. I may be feeling paranoid about things, but I have so many questions as to why people dislike me.
Is it because I don't drink? Or because I'm ill? Could it be because I'm not 'visually appealing'? Or is it because I'm anxious and worried that I could mess up when speaking to people? I'm pretty confused.

If anyone could provide some kind of advice on how to fit in better, I would appreciate it beyond belief! Many thanks in advance
Reply 1
People are bastards.
if I had a pound for every time a person on this site felt like they didn't fit in I would never work again lol, it's a common suspicion which the vast majority of the time is not actually true, I often felt like this through school and yet at Uni, I have plenty of people to hang out and speak with and can see that it was just my anxiety and overthinking things. So I doubt that your peers are intentionally doing this and even if they were you'll meet so many people through your life that you'll inevitably make friends with someone lol
I can relate to this so much as I had a situation like this before Christmas. Are you in school or sixth form? My advice would be to try and stick with the people you feel aren't on your 'peers' side like people you get on with in lessons etc and the more you hang around with them the more your 'peers' will realise how you are feeling and they might understand they've been acting different around you and making you feel abandoned. If you need to talk or any more advice on your situation feel free to message me and I'll try and give you some more advice:-)

Hope it get better soon!
Reply 4
Original post by Blondie987
if I had a pound for every time a person on this site felt like they didn't fit in I would never work again lol, it's a common suspicion which the vast majority of the time is not actually true, I often felt like this through school and yet at Uni, I have plenty of people to hang out and speak with and can see that it was just my anxiety and overthinking things. So I doubt that your peers are intentionally doing this and even if they were you'll meet so many people through your life that you'll inevitably make friends with someone lol

Original post by Sarah_1708
I can relate to this so much as I had a situation like this before Christmas. Are you in school or sixth form? My advice would be to try and stick with the people you feel aren't on your 'peers' side like people you get on with in lessons etc and the more you hang around with them the more your 'peers' will realise how you are feeling and they might understand they've been acting different around you and making you feel abandoned. If you need to talk or any more advice on your situation feel free to message me and I'll try and give you some more advice:-)

Hope it get better soon!

Thank you both. I sure hope this clears up. Normally at sixth form, I find myself sat alone and even when part of a friendship group I'm not actually spoken to. It genuinely the feeling that they go out of their way to outcast me. And it is rather depressing (I should know, severe major depressive disorder sufferer for around 9-10 years). But anyway, thank you both. It's almost over now, and then I'm going to uni. Fingers crossed for a better time there!
Talk to new people, make new friends, people drift away all the time. You shouldn't have to make people like you or spend time with you because then it wouldn't be a positive friendship. Also always assume laziness over maleficent actions because outcasting someone on purpose is a lot of effort unless you really dont like someone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending