The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by galatasaray1905
ohh damn sorry :/ as an IB student I understand how challenging it must be for you. How come do you take 7 IB subjects? are you not full diploma?

Yes Im doing a full bilingual diploma plus an extra IB certificate in parallel worth up to an extra 7 points. A lot of Unis say that I can´t simply add it to max 45 for the diploma as would be unfair advantage but quite a few Unis including Kings said they would look upon it as a favourable edge to the application.
Hi guys, my plan is to insure Exeter (AAB) but am undecided on the best uni to firm out of KCL, Nottingham and Wariwck?
Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions
Original post by sjcalvert98
Hi guys, my plan is to insure Exeter (AAB) but am undecided on the best uni to firm out of KCL, Nottingham and Wariwck?
Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions

I would say depends it you are city person or campus life both are respected, I would choose:

1. KCL >> London. Better for city connections/future jobs/life
2. Notingham >> Very respected but is same offer as KCL a bit too provincial
3. Warrick. >> Lower requirements but was in clearing last year so not worth choosing
Original post by crocface
Do not fall for the Birmingham unconditional trick. The only reason some Unis give unconditional is because they know there will be places left in clearing. Last year I did a lot of realtime research during clearing for all unis offering law courses that I might be interested in. Birmingham was in clearing both from the beginning of IB results day and A level results day. That tells me you will highly likely get it in clearing anyway, especially as they have already given you an offer. Therefore don´t waste your chance of a hard earned place at UCL or Bristol which would never be in clearing.

Oh wow, thank you very much! I really appreciate that information. I'm definitely not going to take it just because of an unconditional, I'm going to look anyway on an open day just to see for sure before ruling it out, but I love UCL and Bristol haha.

Thanks again!
I would say depends it you are city person or campus life both are respected, I would choose:

1. KCL >> London. Better for city connections/future jobs/life
2. Notingham >> Very respected but is same offer as KCL a bit too provincial
3. Warrick. >> Lower requirements but was in clearing last year so not worth choosing

It is really between KCL and Nottingham, providing I get the offers haha, there is a possibility that Nottingham will offer me AAA as I did the summer school. Regardless my aim is to get A*A*A, I like the look of both unis, probably KCL tips it but the cost element as well as the potential lower Nottingham offer may sway me...
I got an offer from UCL today! Law with French Law. IB 41 points.
Original post by Lalliish
I got an offer from UCL today! Law with French Law. IB 41 points.

Congrats on your offer :smile: When did you send off your application? I hope I will hear from them soon :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those who have been offered places for law at Oxford-> what were your gcses (and a massive congrats!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how or in what order (if any) UCL or KCL are distributing their offers?
Original post by JohnGreek
UCL's give most of its offers out, and has its interviews for those doing Law with a foreign legal system on the 20th. KCL hasn't really gotten back to anyone who hasn't applied for a scholarship, or who hasn't applied with achieved A-Level/IB grades.

Oh I see...! That's very helpful, thank you! :h:
UCL's given most of its offers out, and has had its interviews for those doing Law with a foreign legal system on the 20th. KCL hasn't really gotten back to anyone who hasn't applied for a scholarship, or who hasn't applied with achieved A-Level/IB grades.

How do you know ucl has given most of them out?

I feel as though you have just presumed from what you read on here, either that or you work for the university....
(edited 8 years ago)
In October!
Original post by Bobkata
Congrats on your offer :smile: When did you send off your application? I hope I will hear from them soon :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do not fall for the Birmingham unconditional trick. The only reason some Unis give unconditional is because they know there will be places left in clearing. Last year I did a lot of realtime research during clearing for all unis offering law courses that I might be interested in. Birmingham was in clearing both from the beginning of IB results day and A level results day. That tells me you will highly likely get it in clearing anyway, especially as they have already given you an offer. Therefore don´t waste your chance of a hard earned place at UCL or Bristol which would never be in clearing.

is there a reason why birmingham always ends up in Clearing year in year out? birmingham acts very tough with it's entry requirements but in Clearing they've been known to let people in who've missed their grades. so why the pretense in the first place?
UCL's given most of its offers out, and has had its interviews for those doing Law with a foreign legal system on the 20th. KCL hasn't really gotten back to anyone who hasn't applied for a scholarship, or who hasn't applied with achieved A-Level/IB grades.

Well, if that is the case, am I screwed? I mean, I have been waiting for UCL since November 18th. I hope they will get back to me soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Audrey18
is there a reason why birmingham always ends up in Clearing year in year out? birmingham acts very tough with it's entry requirements but in Clearing they've been known to let people in who've missed their grades. so why the pretense in the first place?

Its all about branding and image and where they position their standard offer. There are lot of tripple A unis that are perceived to be better therefore rarely are they one of the 5 choices so will always end in clearing. They are just trying to move up by raising image by setting high grades. For QMUL the strategy has been successful but not for Birmingham so far
Nope, visited the offer holders' day and asked the admissions staff themselves during the meet-and-greet.

My friend went aswell, she told them she knew people who were still waiting and they told her not to worry as they still had a lot of places to give out.....
Its all about branding and image and where they position their standard offer. There are lot of tripple A unis that are perceived to be better therefore rarely are they one of the 5 choices so will always end in clearing. They are just trying to move up by raising image by setting high grades. For QMUL the strategy has been successful but not for Birmingham so far

I have friends in SOAS, Kings, LSE, UCL, QM and Oxbridge and I've just asked all of them on whatsapp. funnily enough they all say that it has something to do with Birmingham's landscape in terms of the community enclaves there?? i've just replied to them to ask them what has community enclaves got to do with tons of vacant places on Birmingham's LLB course! my friends are really absurd.
Is it significant that Birmingham sent me an email saying they are still reviewing my application? Did anyone else get this just before a response?
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Is it significant that Birmingham sent me an email saying they are still reviewing my application? Did anyone else get this just before a response?

Its just 'marketing' to reassure you that they haven't forgotten you.
It doesn't mean anything significant.
Oh... That's disappointing but it makes sense. :/

Latest

Trending

Trending