The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy applicants 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ItsGrace31
Ahh right, fingers crossed then! where are you waiting to hear from?

Bradford, Leeds, Huddersfield and York

Fingers crossed
Hello guys. Since many of you are receiving offers for physiotherapy i would like to ask you all for advice/tips on what i should do to increase my chancea on getting on this immensely competetive course. I am currently in year 12, studying biology, psychology and history. Tbh i feel like history will severely hinder me academically due to the difficulty of it. Any kind of advice is welcome, just think of it as what would you do if you were back in jan year 12. Thank you!
Original post by Lil-rascal
Hello guys. Since many of you are receiving offers for physiotherapy i would like to ask you all for advice/tips on what i should do to increase my chancea on getting on this immensely competetive course. I am currently in year 12, studying biology, psychology and history. Tbh i feel like history will severely hinder me academically due to the difficulty of it. Any kind of advice is welcome, just think of it as what would you do if you were back in jan year 12. Thank you!

Believe in yourself...back at a levels i definately didnt and went and did a different degree and convinced myself I wouldnt be good enough to get where I am now.
Also start contacting as many hospitals,SEN schools, hospices, rehab centers etc to sort out work experience and try to gain it in different areas e.g some neuro, some musculoskeletal, some cardio/ resp. The greater variety the better you will feel so much more confident going into interview when you properly understand the role and the wide range of areas physios can be found in.
Hope that helps:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Work hard in your studies.

Research the profession - in every way e.g read about it, get as much work experience as poss, ask lots of questions to people in the profession or who are on the degree.

Make notes on work experience. You'll need them for interview prep. I wrote mine up on my lunch breaks so that I wouldn't forget everything.

Research each uni that you apply to and be able to answer why that uni.

Do some voluntary work in a caring role and have a hobby which involves team play (sports are good but be creative if you don't play sport and think of how your hobbies develop you as a person).

When you get around to applying and getting interviews do mock interviews through your school if they offer them. If not, get a parent/teacher/friend to ask you some typical physio interview questions (you can find them on Google).

In your personal statement talk about work experience and what you learned. Find some examples to get an idea of what they're looking for and read each unis physio page for clues about what they want to hear (e.g NHS principles/teamwork etc).

It all hinges on academics/work experience, personal statement and interview performance. But from my experience different unis place greater and lesser importance on each of those elements. So pretty much the exact same application and interview performance at one uni could result in an offer whilst another may reject you or even reject before interview. So even if your application is good enough for an offer, it might not get you 5 offers but 1 is all you need. So don't be discouraged early in the application process if you receive a negative response on UCAS. In short: stay positive, persevere and try your best.

Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 824
Original post by hunterf
eee ! well done! 3rd of feb whens yours? :smile:

Thank you! Omg Same here! So nervous! Mines in the afternoon I think! Any clue what the questions are going to be like😩😂xxx
Reply 825
Original post by maxxwren
Just got an interview at Huddersfield, anyone got any tips or anything to help out? Would be greatly appreciated!

If it's the same as last year, you have a presentation where the admissions tutor talks about the uni and you then have a group interview before all going to a room to have your certificates checked and then go off to your individual interview. I was the last to be interviewed and was still only there for around 2 hours
Thanks slurry90 and somethingbeautiful, i really appreciate the advice. Ive been emailing various nhs hospitals and private practices for work experience but most of their places are filled etc. Ive found it is mostly about who you know rather than anything else. Is there any alternatives i can try in the mean time while im waiting for work experience?
Thanks slurry90 and somethingbeautiful, i really appreciate the advice. Ive been emailing various nhs hospitals and private practices for work experience but most of their places are filled etc. Ive found it is mostly about who you know rather than anything else. Is there any alternatives i can try in the mean time while im waiting for work experience?

I found when applying to the hospitals it could take about 6 months to arrange. Have you been on their websites to look at the work exp opportunities they have available?
Volunteering at hospital can also take months.
Have you tried contacting the likes of Bupa and Spire?
I found a hospice was one of my most valuable experience as the physios actually spoke to me for a good few hours first where i could ask them anything about the role.
I would suggest volunteering within your community to show you are a caring person in the mean time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 828
Hi everyone! I received an interview invite form Brighton? Has anyone else?
Reply 829
Original post by jessjkc
I still haven't heard anything from Keele either!!

Is that after an interview or not even that?
If so when was the interview?
Has anyone got an offer from UEA?
Applying is so stressful! Has anyone heard from Bournemouth, keele or cardiff? I applied in December and haven't had anything from these three 😯
Original post by spshsha1
As have I my interview was 25th November! Don't panics though still plenty of time! No news is good news

Hi, how long after your interview did you receive your offer?
I had my interview on Wednesday this week, just wondering how quickly they respond?
Original post by ksharples
Just got an offer from Keele!!

Hi how quickly did the university get back to you with your offer. I had my interview yesterday afternoon, I know I'm not expecting a reply yet, but would be interesting to know how soon replies are sent out to other people
Thanks x
Reply 834
Original post by Jesswarby
Hi how quickly did the university get back to you with your offer. I had my interview yesterday afternoon, I know I'm not expecting a reply yet, but would be interesting to know how soon replies are sent out to other people
Thanks x

Took me just under 2 weeks (5th Jan interview until 18th Jan offer) for Keele.
Original post by Rory_M_
Is that after an interview or not even that?
If so when was the interview?

Not even an interview!!
Original post by Jessnewsway
Applying is so stressful! Has anyone heard from Bournemouth, keele or cardiff? I applied in December and haven't had anything from these three 😯

I haven't heard for cardiff or keele either!!
Reply 837
Original post by jessjkc
Not even an interview!!

Well january was the first set of interviews done and they continue on through february and march so you still have a good chance of getting an interview!
No news is good news, and atleast you've not been rejected yet.
Original post by Rory_M_
Well january was the first set of interviews done and they continue on through february and march so you still have a good chance of getting an interview!
No news is good news, and atleast you've not been rejected yet.

Thank you, how's it all going for you!!
Im currently studying at Cumbria, and got an unconditional for Teeside. If anyone needs any questions feel free to drop me a message

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending