The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Fashion Journalism at LCF Lime Grove, accommodation?

I've got a place to study Fashion Journalism at London College of Fashion at the Lime Grove campus in Shepherds Bush however I'm not starting till September 2016 as when I applied I chose to defer my application for a year in order to get a job and save money, which is what I'm doing now. I can't wait to go though and I am kind of sad I'm not going this year as I know a few people who are moving to London this year and going to UAL:frown:

Anyway, for a while I've been researching about uni accommodation for UAL and I've noticed all of the accommodation is so far away from the LCF Lime Grove campus which is so annoying, the closest being The Costume Store which is just so expensive and I think a little out of my price range - so I was wondering if anyone could help me out, if you're studying at LCF Lime Grove currently or are planning to next year like me, what are you doing for accommodation?

I have considered private accommodation/renting a flat with other students but I've always had my mind focused on staying in uni halls for the first year as I will be moving from Liverpool to London.

Any help would be appreciated, I just want to be prepared tbh!
Reply 1
Hey!
Ive just applied for Fashion Photography at the Lime Grove Campus and am having the same query! I haven't been for an interview yet but I'm just forward planning!
Im the same, I cant afford The Costume Store even though it looks so amazing!! Let me know if you find anything, last thing we want is having to travel all the way across london for a two hour lecture or something! Ill be coming from Birmingham so id rather live in halls too!

:biggrin:
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jadeamy
Hey!
Ive just applied for Fashion Photography at the Lime Grove Campus and am having the same query! I haven't been for an interview yet but I'm just forward planning!
Im the same, I cant afford The Costume Store even though it looks so amazing!! Let me know if you find anything, last thing we want is having to travel all the way across london for a two hour lecture or something! Ill be coming from Birmingham so id rather live in halls too!

:biggrin:

Ah hi! I've been researching more and I think don gratton is the best option as its 30 mins away on the tube which isn't so bad, that's what I travel to work now back home anyway so I could do it. It's still quite expensive but I think I'd be able to afford it compared to the costume store! I just wish they had accommodation near lime grove campus, they should definitely make another one:frown:

I think getting a flat would be cheaper but I definitely don't want to do that for first year so guess I'll just have to suck it up!
Hi, parent alert!! My son is also applying for the fashion photography, literally has his heart set on LCF..in reality if he manages to get a place I have no idea how we will afford the accommodation fees, currently have a daughter already at at uni (half the cost) I really don't want to tell him he cant go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Poppybear
Hi, parent alert!! My son is also applying for the fashion photography, literally has his heart set on LCF..in reality if he manages to get a place I have no idea how we will afford the accommodation fees, currently have a daughter already at at uni (half the cost) I really don't want to tell him he cant go!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My parents were in the same boat when I told them I wanted to go to UAL and since getting a place at LCF there has been an air of worry about the financial side of things but that's why I am currently on a gap year as I am pretty much working full time and saving so hopefully I will be alright - the student loan is also significantly higher if you are studying in London too. Have you looked into private accommodation/flats? I have researched this a little bit and it seems like in some cases this comes out slightly cheaper. It's just a real shame that the cheaper UAL accommodation is ages away from the LCF Lime Grove campus :frown:
Hello everyone! Can you please fill my survey about luxury fashion stores and music? It is part of my LCF BA Fashion Management project and it takes only seconds! Thank you:smile: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PLMPQY7
Reply 6
Original post by JayneEmma
I've got a place to study Fashion Journalism at London College of Fashion at the Lime Grove campus in Shepherds Bush

Sorry this is slightly irrelevant haha.

I've applied for the same course starting in Sept 2016 (as well as at UCA Epsom, CSM and Southampton Solent.) I was just wondering what the application process was like at LCF (and anywhere else you applied) and what kind of thing you put in your portfolio?

I checked my applicant portal for UCA and found that I've been invited to an applicant day in January (with an interview and portfolio review) but I'm just so nervous I'm going to mess up hahaha :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by bluezara
Sorry this is slightly irrelevant haha.

I've applied for the same course starting in Sept 2016 (as well as at UCA Epsom, CSM and Southampton Solent.) I was just wondering what the application process was like at LCF (and anywhere else you applied) and what kind of thing you put in your portfolio?

I checked my applicant portal for UCA and found that I've been invited to an applicant day in January (with an interview and portfolio review) but I'm just so nervous I'm going to mess up hahaha :s-smilie:

I wasn't asked to bring a portfolio, instead for LCF they asked you to bring along an article you had written and a copy for them to keep. I wrote about blogging and how the popularity of it has risen greatly over the past few years and the significance of that and the influence bloggers now hold within the fashion industry. Then at the interview they asked me questions about that article, why I had chosen that topic, the process of writing it and what research I done etc. The interviewers (there were two of them) asked me other questions about fashion such as what magazines I like to read, how I felt technology was impacted print magazines and general questions on my interest/knowledge of the fashion industry. it was quite a chatty interview and I actually really enjoyed it. I think it was about a week afterwards (might have been two I can't remember clearly) I got an offer!

I would say just put relevant pieces of work in your portfolio that show a range of skills? Sorry I feel like I'm not much help on that part as I never had to bring one! Don't worry about being nervous, I was so nervous for the LCF interview before it happened, especially given I only had short notice to write the article, but honestly when it came to the interview I felt quite calm and that is not me at all! I'm sure I probably sounded nervous and fumbled my words a bit at first but it's understandable after all! No matter what, it won't be as daunting as you think - everyone will make you feel welcome!
I've got a place to study Fashion Journalism at London College of Fashion at the Lime Grove campus in Shepherds Bush however I'm not starting till September 2016 as when I applied I chose to defer my application for a year in order to get a job and save money, which is what I'm doing now. I can't wait to go though and I am kind of sad I'm not going this year as I know a few people who are moving to London this year and going to UAL:frown:

Anyway, for a while I've been researching about uni accommodation for UAL and I've noticed all of the accommodation is so far away from the LCF Lime Grove campus which is so annoying, the closest being The Costume Store which is just so expensive and I think a little out of my price range - so I was wondering if anyone could help me out, if you're studying at LCF Lime Grove currently or are planning to next year like me, what are you doing for accommodation?

I have considered private accommodation/renting a flat with other students but I've always had my mind focused on staying in uni halls for the first year as I will be moving from Liverpool to London.

Any help would be appreciated, I just want to be prepared tbh!

Hey!

I've just applied for fashion journalism at LCF for Sept 2016. Do you have any tips for the interview process/ writing piece?

Thank you so much if you can help!
Reply 9
Original post by emmafox98
Hey!

I've just applied for fashion journalism at LCF for Sept 2016. Do you have any tips for the interview process/ writing piece?

Thank you so much if you can help!

Definitely write about a topic that you feel comfortable in knowing what you're talking about, and do research on it too, it might seem like an obvious tip but it's so important because it will show - stick to what you know. Integrating relevant quotes into your piece to support what you're talking about is a good idea, I found quotes just through googling about the topic I was writing about. Planning helps so much, it did for me at least, it stopped me from waffling and repeating what I had already stated, as well as creating a clear ending for the piece. As well as reading it yourself, get someone else to proof read it as well and ask their opinion too! Even better (if you're not too shy) is to get a teacher to look at it, making sure the grammar is correct is important.

Preparing for the interview is what set my mind at ease, I looked on here for what questions people had been asked in previous interviews and thought about my answers for those questions. Reading the course content etc on the UAL website is very helpful, if they ask questions about why you chose to apply and why you want to do the course it shows you have done your research and that you are informed, it also came in handy when at the end of the interview the two interviewers asked if I had any questions and I asked a question concerning one of the course units. Have in mind what your favourite fashion publications are, favourite fashion writer, designer even because those questions may be asked and it shows you have an interest in fashion, it will come across clearly anyway! Honestly relax about the interview because I am SUCH an anxious person and I was so scared for it but I felt at ease when it came to the interview, my experience was quite chatty and it wasn't intimidating at all! Another tip would be put thought into your outfit, you don't have to wear interview attire, wear something that reflects your style.

Hope that was somewhat helpful, it's been almost a year since I had my interview so it's hard to remember certain details! If you have any further questions just ask, I've also written more about the interview process further up on this thread.
Definitely write about a topic that you feel comfortable in knowing what you're talking about, and do research on it too, it might seem like an obvious tip but it's so important because it will show - stick to what you know. Integrating relevant quotes into your piece to support what you're talking about is a good idea, I found quotes just through googling about the topic I was writing about. Planning helps so much, it did for me at least, it stopped me from waffling and repeating what I had already stated, as well as creating a clear ending for the piece. As well as reading it yourself, get someone else to proof read it as well and ask their opinion too! Even better (if you're not too shy) is to get a teacher to look at it, making sure the grammar is correct is important.

Preparing for the interview is what set my mind at ease, I looked on here for what questions people had been asked in previous interviews and thought about my answers for those questions. Reading the course content etc on the UAL website is very helpful, if they ask questions about why you chose to apply and why you want to do the course it shows you have done your research and that you are informed, it also came in handy when at the end of the interview the two interviewers asked if I had any questions and I asked a question concerning one of the course units. Have in mind what your favourite fashion publications are, favourite fashion writer, designer even because those questions may be asked and it shows you have an interest in fashion, it will come across clearly anyway! Honestly relax about the interview because I am SUCH an anxious person and I was so scared for it but I felt at ease when it came to the interview, my experience was quite chatty and it wasn't intimidating at all! Another tip would be put thought into your outfit, you don't have to wear interview attire, wear something that reflects your style.

Hope that was somewhat helpful, it's been almost a year since I had my interview so it's hard to remember certain details! If you have any further questions just ask, I've also written more about the interview process further up on this thread.

Ahhh wow thank you so much for this!!! This is so helpful and definitely put my mind at ease!

I haven't unfortunately been emailed for an interview yet - my friend has but I'm still anxiously waiting! I really hope I get the chance to prove myself though!

Thanks again!
Reply 11
Ahhh wow thank you so much for this!!! This is so helpful and definitely put my mind at ease!

I haven't unfortunately been emailed for an interview yet - my friend has but I'm still anxiously waiting! I really hope I get the chance to prove myself though!

Thanks again!

Aw you're welcome, hope it all goes well for you! xx
Aw you're welcome, hope it all goes well for you! xx

Thank you!

If I could ask one last question - I sent off my application in November, and I know interviews are at the end of February, but I haven't heard anything from LCF yet? I'm getting worried , particularly as my friend has received an email for an interview.

I rang them up and they said they're still reviewing applications - although surely they would've read mine by now? I only sent mine a week later than my friend! And surely they would all give us the same amount of time to write the article?

So should I be worried? How much time did you have to write the article when you got emailed, before the interview?

Thanks!
Reply 13
Thank you!

If I could ask one last question - I sent off my application in November, and I know interviews are at the end of February, but I haven't heard anything from LCF yet? I'm getting worried , particularly as my friend has received an email for an interview.

I rang them up and they said they're still reviewing applications - although surely they would've read mine by now? I only sent mine a week later than my friend! And surely they would all give us the same amount of time to write the article?

So should I be worried? How much time did you have to write the article when you got emailed, before the interview?

Thanks!

Honestly don't worry, I didn't send my ucas off until the start of January and I didn't receive an interview offer until the 10th of Feb, they may have started replying to people but I think it may be a gradual process, I don't think it's all at once so they will get back to you but may get back to others first,. They might be doing things earlier this year but it all depends!

I applied for Fashion Journalism at CSM as well so I just brought the article I submitted for that which I wrote under 2 weeks notice, I also got 2 weeks notice for my interview so it'll be around that mark I assume. I then got an offer on the 5th March which was about a week after the interview!
Honestly don't worry, I didn't send my ucas off until the start of January and I didn't receive an interview offer until the 10th of Feb, they may have started replying to people but I think it may be a gradual process, I don't think it's all at once so they will get back to you but may get back to others first,. They might be doing things earlier this year but it all depends!

I applied for Fashion Journalism at CSM as well so I just brought the article I submitted for that which I wrote under 2 weeks notice, I also got 2 weeks notice for my interview so it'll be around that mark I assume. I then got an offer on the 5th March which was about a week after the interview!

Ah okay! Thanks so much!!
Hi there! I have my interview coming up in two weeks for fashion journalism- so nervous! I'm starting my article now but I wanted to know more about the interview- the interviewers, the questions asked, the general vibe? Thanks!
Reply 16
Original post by Katie mcc
Hi there! I have my interview coming up in two weeks for fashion journalism- so nervous! I'm starting my article now but I wanted to know more about the interview- the interviewers, the questions asked, the general vibe? Thanks!

Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply!

I found the interview was quite chatty, there were two interviewers and they were very welcoming! They asked me questions about my article, how I approached writing it, the process used and why I chose to write about that subject and the research I did. They also asked me what publications I read, the interview lasted about 15-20 minutes and they asked me more questions but I'm afraid I can't exactly remember as it was over a year ago now. Just be prepared for any questions they may ask relating to fashion such as your favourite fashion journalist etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending