The Student Room Group

Self-directed racism from minorities.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Smurf
The only thing wrong with the article was her throwing in the small penis stereotype and saying it's true. If a Chinese guy wrote the same article but said Chinese girls had breasts flatter than a piece of paper compared to white girls how would people react? Especially all the people here saying there is nothing wrong with what she last said.

the thing is this article and the last bit especially is clearly written in a light hearted and jokey way. Comedy has always been a way to talk about the harmful stereotypes in a different light. She's not literally saying 'all Chinese men have small penises and therefore I will never be friends with them or be seen with them'. She's just messing around based on all the stereotypes that Chinese people face, of which penis size is one of them.
Can you be racist to yourself though? People always claim racism is about power and that's why, supposedly, white people can't suffer racism because we always have 'the power'. So if you are Chinese and being 'racist' about Chinese people...is that really racism because there's no power element there??

I don't agree with this power thing and I think anyone can be racist to anyone, and I agree with you that I find it extremely weird when people put down their own race. I'm no white supremacist but it really gets on my nerves when other white people put down white people, it's just odd and if i were you I would be maybe not offended but certainly weirded out by this article
Bar the last bit about Chinese people having small dicks which was inappropriate, it's not self-mocking at all as far as I can see. That last bit is racist, but this is The Tab, complete ****ing trash and always will be.

A lot of these stereotype's the author is trying to turn into positives, I don't think she was saying "Yh lol we eat rice dae ching chong rice lol", she's identifying and addressing the stereotypes in a positive way.

Anyway lol at taking the Tab in any way srs.
Original post by EtherealNymph22
the thing is this article and the last bit especially is clearly written in a light hearted and jokey way. Comedy has always been a way to talk about the harmful stereotypes in a different light. She's not literally saying 'all Chinese men have small penises and therefore I will never be friends with them or be seen with them'. She's just messing around based on all the stereotypes that Chinese people face, of which penis size is one of them.

So she picks a stereotype that has no effect on her? Why didn't she pick one that makes Chinese girls seem inferior to white girls?
(edited 8 years ago)
So she picks a stereotype that has no effect on her? A girl wouldn't understand how that stereotype can hurt males.

LOLLLLLL you did not just say that oh lord
Original post by infairverona

I edited it out. :p: But I don't see much wrong with it.
Original post by infairverona

Looks like you caught it and then it got edited...
We're a minority!

stupid.jpg
I edited it out. :p: But I don't see much wrong with it.

I both agree and disagree with you. On the one hand I think girls know full well what it's like to be stereotyped, obviously not on the penis issue, but on a whole host and possibly MORE issues than that. I also don't really get why she brought that in when it doesn't apply to her.

But, considering she's talking about her whole race in most of the article, it makes sense that she would include that stereotype. I mean when discussing 'all Chinese people' that includes men. It was just a bit weirdly disjointed to bung that in at the end I think.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jebedee
There isn't much effort from the Chinese side in UK universities either as they come in such large numbers, they seem to have no motivation to hang out with or understand non chinese people or culture.

That's because they don't really want to be here, they barely speak English and they are just made to come to the UK for university by their parents and they have no intention of actually staying in the country after graduation so why bother.
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
There is a double standard that people cannot admit because racism towards the Chinese is not acknowledged.

The fact that the Chinese (and other Asian countries and all non-Western countries, really) are far more racist than any country in the west and especially the UK, which is probably the least racist place on Earth, is also not acknowledged. (I'm talking about people who are actually from those countries, not British Asians). Let's not discuss what happens when a Chinese girl brings a black guy home.
I'm really confused, how is this racist? Please explain, maybe I'm just not getting it? :s-smilie:
Original post by driftawaay
That's because they don't really want to be here, they barely speak English and they are just made to come to the UK for university by their parents and they have no intention of actually staying in the country after graduation so why bother.

Some would argue that they are morally obliged to because they are there, regardless of if it is their wishes or not.
Original post by driftawaay
The fact that the Chinese (and other Asian countries and all non-Western countries, really) are far more racist than any country in the west and especially the UK, which is probably the least racist place on Earth, is also not acknowledged. (I'm talking about people who are actually from those countries, not British Asians). Let's not discuss what happens when a Chinese girl brings a black guy home.

agreed and PRSOM
agreed and PRSOM

Generalisations.
Generalisations.

is this racist now? You tell me what happens in China when a girl brings a black guy home then?
is this racist now? You tell me what happens in China when a girl brings a black guy home then?

You assume the worst of the people you have never met but when a girl actually insults an entire race of people you are saying "not racist". Biased.
Absolutely nothing in that article was racist.
I just found this article really racist and offensive. Unless I am reading this wrong, this girl basically wrote an insecure article that ends up mocking her own race... for a couple of likes on a university website that caters for impressionable (sometimes racist) students. What is wrong with people these days?

not to be nit picky but this is a generalisation, you are saying what is wrong with people- because one person has put up a post you are generalising others.

Plus an earlier comment about black people committing more crime than white men and there being an uproar- if it's specific to a country/area and there are statistics to back it up, how is that racist?!! it's actually just a statement of fact.
Original post by Jebedee
Some would argue that they are morally obliged to because they are there, regardless of if it is their wishes or not.

Well, everybody is entitled to be a right wing Internet warrior if they wish to be.

Quick Reply