The Student Room Group

I think i'm making mistake. Help?!

Okay, so, I'm in year 11 and I've already applied to a bunch of sixth forms, and I've decided that I want to do the IB course.
I seriously have no idea what I actually want to do as a career, so I thought maybe if I took the IB, I wouldn't have to work that out straight away.
But boy was I wrong.
If anything, it has made me WAY more tense and anxious about everything.

The subjects I have chosen are:

-Biology HL
-Chemistry HL
-English Lit HL (higher is compulsory at the sixth form I applied to)
-French SL
-Maths SL
-Geography SL

All my friends know what they want to do, and everyone else keeps pointing out that Chemistry and Biology are hard (as if I don't know already) but I enjoy those subjects, Geography and creative writing too.

I'm basically clueless about what career I should take from those subjects, and I'm scared that if I do take Chemistry and Biology at HL, I'll screw everything up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
If I were you I'd look at 2 or 3 university courses for degrees you might be interested in, such as Chemistry or Geography. Look at the degree modules and information on the uni websites and decide what degree you'd most enjoy studying, therefore what career path you'll end up following.
If you like geography, do geography HL ( its an amazing course imo)

When people tlak about IB being better for uncertain futures they just mean you hae a wider choice. Also remember your career isnt always based on your uni course (something i wish someone told me when i was in year 11) so its comoletely possible to do a degree in something you simply like
Reply 3
Original post by timelizard
If you like geography, do geography HL ( its an amazing course imo)

When people tlak about IB being better for uncertain futures they just mean you hae a wider choice. Also remember your career isnt always based on your uni course (something i wish someone told me when i was in year 11) so its comoletely possible to do a degree in something you simply like

I agree. When I started sixth form I had this idea I wanted to be an architect. By the time I got round to applying for uni I decided I didn't want to stop doing what I loved. So I decided to do a degree in history. My advice would be to do subjects you enjoy and you can't really go wrong. Do a degree in a subject you like and you will enjoy uni a lot more too. There are loads of people I know who decided on a 'career' choice and ended up hating their course for three years. Just do what you enjoy.
Reply 4
okay idk about you, but I definitely would not do chem AND bio HL. it depends on whether you're willing to take up the work, especially since you're not sure what to do? i have neither subject, but it can become really hard to keep up with all the work, according to my classmates.

i would recommend that you choose subjects that you know you'll put the work into, if you choose :smile: as another person said, maybe take geography HL instead, if you enjoy that :biggrin:
Honestly, your subject choices at IB won't affect your university subject choice. The only subjects that universities look out for are HL Maths (more prestigious unis have HL Maths as an entry requirement) so not taking HL maths can limit you in the future, however apart form that you can do geo, bio, chem at IB and then econs at Uni and it'll be fine (as long as you have HL Maths).Only subjects that can hinder you by not being accept by unis are Math Studies and Individual Studies. So your IB subject selection shouldn't hinder your future subject/career choices unless you will want to do a "tough: course like medicine, econs or science (bio or chem) at a very good uni, if so you need HL Maths.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending