The Student Room Group

Would you rather live in a feminist state or an islamic state?

Scroll to see replies

There is no way feminism is worse than the IS.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by BobbyFlay
Can you not see the difference between the wage gap or patriarchy and mathematics? Or are you so dogmatic in your belief that you actually think that wage gap etc is the same as mathematical proof?
Surely you can see the difference here, one literally has evidence to prove itself, the other is just an assertion.

Refer to my original comment. You made multiple assertions, some that have evidence proving that they do not exist, the the wage gap.
I asked for evidence for those assertions, which you have yet to give me.

You're mistaking me for someone else I'm afraid.
Original post by offhegoes
You're mistaking me for someone else I'm afraid.

Yep, my bad haha. You guys have the same profile picture.
Reply 63
Original post by Helloworld_95
Neither should any other state, but here we are...

Just because it doesn't fit your description of Islamic does not mean it is not true under the definition held by significant groups of people, and I'm not talking about UKIPpers, I mean every day people who see ISIS as being a state fighting in the name of Islam. And they are, they fight in the name of their interpretation of Islam just as you presumably believe in your interpretation of Islam, or Protestant Christians believe in that interpretation while the Westboro Baptist Church believes in another. It's the same with people talking about Feminism in this thread, yes the ideal is Feminism means the equality of men and women, but to a large proportion of people Feminism means the advancement of rights of women, but not necessarily of men to the same level which would be egalitarianism, a name which is a bit more neutral than Feminism.

You said 'significant groups of people' then go on to say 'every day people'. These 'every day people' are not 'significant people' when it comes down to giving reliable interpretations of Islam, since they (myself included) are just simple laymen.
Instead we have a group of well respected scholars in Islam called the ulama who make these decisions for us.
Go up to any one of these scholars and ask them if killing innocent people is permissible when living under an Islamic state.

I don't give my own interpretations, whenever I try and explain an Islamic ruling or whatever, I always refer to a reliable source of information rather than making up something from the top of my head.
Reply 64
Original post by mkap
Islamic state, already packed my bags and moved to one for a few years, sue me

Take me with you next time :frown:
Original post by HAnwar

We have a group of well respected scholars in Islam called the ulama who make these decisions for us.
Go up to any one of these scholars and ask them if killing innocent people is permissible when living under an Islamic state.

I don't give my own interpretations, whenever I try and explain an Islamic ruling or whatever, I always refer to a reliable source of information rather than making up something from the top of my head.

If I were to walk up to a/the Ulama and ask him (are any of these well respected scholars female, by the way?) what the punishment for homosexuality is, I imagine it would be a little more than a slap on the wrist.
Reply 66
Original post by MountKimbie
If I were to walk up to a/the Ulama and ask him (are any of these well respected scholars female, by the way?) what the punishment for homosexuality is, I imagine it would be a little more than a slap on the wrist.

I don't know if there are female ones, I haven't looked into it so there might be and might not be.
No punishment for being a homosexual, but for carrying out homosexual acts.
Original post by HAnwar
You said 'significant groups of people' then go on to say 'every day people'. These 'every day people' are not 'significant people' when it comes down to giving reliable interpretations of Islam, since they (myself included) are just simple laymen.
Instead we have a group of well respected scholars in Islam called the ulama who make these decisions for us.

It doesn't matter if it's a reliable interpretation, the point is that a significant proportion of people believe in that definition.

Everyday people is a subset of significant, they are a valid group, and you've clearly completely missed the point of my post.
So you're asking whether people would rather live in a state where men and women are completely socially equal, or in a state where women are treated as second-class citizens and any man who's ever looked at a dick even by accident is killed?

Talk about a no-brainer.
Reply 69
Original post by Drunk Punx
So you're asking whether people would rather live in a state where men and women are completely socially equal, or in a state where women are treated as second-class citizens and any man who's ever looked at a dick even by accident is killed?

Talk about a no-brainer.

You seem to assume feminism has one sect. And also that Islamic State refers to Daesh, which is fundamentally inaccurate. It refers to a state under Islamic religion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sw651
You seem to assume feminism has one sect. And also that Islamic State refers to Daesh, which is fundamentally inaccurate. It refers to a state under Islamic religion.

If we're going by general beliefs then I'm not really wrong. Feminism is pro-equality (in general), whereas it is written in Islamic scripture that women aren't always equal to men (in general, though there are passages within scripture that say the opposite of that, or so I'm lead to believe).

OP never specified which exact branch of either feminism or Islam we're basing this off of, so I assumed the general ideology behind both.

Would I want to live in a society where men are treated as second class citizens? No. But I also wouldn't want to live in a theocracy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BobbyFlay
Flip the wording and listen to how ridiculous this sentence sounds.
women would not feel pressured into hyper-femininity

What's ridiculous about that?
Original post by mkap
Islamic state, already packed my bags and moved to one for a few years, sue me

Good for you for actually doing it why not make a few years into a lifetime. Where you at sis?
Reply 73
Original post by MrKmas508
Good for you for actually doing it why not make a few years into a lifetime. Where you at sis?

Jeddah, im actually here with my dad and family but my mum and everyone is in the UK, i would like to go back for them also when i have finished my degree i would like to do a masters in the UK

Original post by HAnwar
Take me with you next time :frown:

your free to come anytime! :smile:
Original post by mkap
Jeddah, im actually here with my dad and family but my mum and everyone is in the UK, i would like to go back for them also when i have finished my degree i would like to do a masters in the UK

your free to come anytime! :smile:

Why not get a masters in Saudi...
Reply 75
Why not get a masters in Saudi...

i want one through the NHS
Reply 76
honeslty who the **** said islamic state ¬_¬
Original post by mkap
i want one through the NHS

Not trying to be a dick here but isn't it a little bit hypocritical to take advantage of a western kuffar organisation when you're so steadfast in your pro theocratic views.
Original post by z33
honeslty who the **** said islamic state ¬_¬

Men who are trying to be funny and Muslims who are chasing the pied piper to Jannah.
Reply 79
Men who are trying to be funny and Muslims who are chasing the pied piper to Jannah.

ah I see :tongue:
x'DDD well I'm Muslim myself but I certainly wouldn't live in an Islamic State :O
we've come so far why the **** would we go backwards again -_-'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending