The Student Room Group

Changing the subject formula

Hi can anyone work out these equations but break it down or step by step to how you get to the answer please. I'm getting the hang of subject formula but I just can't figure these 2 questions out. Thank you!

1.) Rearrange y= 1/2x + 2 to make x the subject

2.) Rearrange y= 1/3x + 1 to make x the subject
Reply 1
Original post by xDivax90x
Hi can anyone work out these equations but break it down or step by step to how you get to the answer please. I'm getting the hang of subject formula but I just can't figure these 2 questions out. Thank you!

Assuming it's y=x2+2y = \frac{x}{2} + 2 then try subtracting 2 from both sides and then multiplying both sides by 2.

Assuming it's y=12x+2y = \frac{1}{2x} + 2, try subtracting 2 from both sides then taking the reciprocal of both sides, culminating in a division of 2 of both sides.

Rinse and repeat for the second equation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2

for the first

start by subtracting 2 from both sides

or

multiply each of the 3 terms of the equation by 2
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
Assuming it's y=x2+2y = \frac{x}{2} + 2 then try subtracting 2 from both sides and then multiplying both sides by 2.

Assuming it's y=12x+2y = \frac{1}{2x} + 2, try subtracting 2 from both sides then taking the reciprocal of both sides, culminating in a division of 2 of both sides.

Rinse and repeat for the second equation.

Sorry realised the equation didn't form right.

It's....

1.) y=12y = \frac{1}{2}x + 2

2.) y=13y = \frac{1}{3}x + 1
Reply 4
Sorry realised the equation didn't form right.

It's....

1.) y=12y = \frac{1}{2}x + 2

Then it's the first option in my post, subtract 2 from both sides and then multiply both sides by 2, that should isolate x.

Quick Reply

Latest