The Student Room Group

Is it bad that I'm old fashioned?

Hello,

I'm a teenager about to go University but, for example, I don't use these social media things, like Facebook and Tinder and hardly know anything about them. I despise rap music, cringe whenever someone uses a slang word, prefer to wear suits than causal clothes and am generally the complete opposite of the average youth.

Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out living in the modern world but then I also like being old fashioned, so it's like there's two sides fighting.

Interested in hearing other opinions.

Thanks!
What sort of interests and culture are you into then? And by the way...most music genres have ****ty pop versions of themselves in the mainstream. I'm not a massive fan of hip hop but I can respect the more political and conscious sub-genres. What sort of suits do you like wearing? Are you just talking grim polyester, poorly cut or actually stylish, nicely fitting suits. If it's the former, I think its a bit try hard trying to take the appearance of a middle class, middle age man but failing. Casual wear done tastefully looks miles better than a bad suit on the cheap imo.
My best one is probably a double-breasted suit made by Burtons.
So what do you like in terms of your interests and music. I'm curious now.
Original post by similarBlank
Hello,

I'm a teenager about to go University but, for example, I don't use these social media things, like Facebook and Tinder and hardly know anything about them. I despise rap music, cringe whenever someone uses a slang word, prefer to wear suits than causal clothes and am generally the complete opposite of the average youth.

Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out living in the modern world but then I also like being old fashioned, so it's like there's two sides fighting.

Thanks!

Socia media is a useless waste of your time, most people don't use Tinder and there are plenty of young people who don't listen to rap music....the suit thing is weird though, suits arent really comfortable for everyday wear

Oh and, remember

[video="youtube;360gboVLjQQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=360gboVLjQQ[/video]
Reply 5
It's only bad if you think you're superior to those who like mainstream things.
So long as you are happy and don't look down, belittle or try to change others for their choices there is nothing wrong with being old fashioned.
No, you aren't missing anything special

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by driftawaay
the suit thing is weird though, suits arent really comfortable for everyday wear

Yeah I guess I was kind of exaggerating slightly with that. I meant I like the style of them better, I actually rarely wear them. :P But I hardly ever go out anyway (except education) so I don't have much opportunity to wear them anyway.

I don't really listen to all that much music really, I spend most of my time watching TV. I guess I like David Bowie and stuff like that. Pop n' Rock.

I certiainly don't think I'm superior, as I said I often feel like I'm missing out on a lot of things, which is something which worries me. I greatly dislike the way I am, really, which is why I made this thread I guess.

EDIT: By the way, just noticed your avatar driftawaay, very nice. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah I guess I was kind of exaggerating slightly with that. I meant I like the style of them better, I actually rarely wear them. :P But I hardly ever go out anyway (except education) so I don't have much opportunity to wear them anyway.

I don't really listen to all that much music really, I spend most of my time watching TV. I guess I like David Bowie and stuff like that. Pop n' Rock.

I certiainly don't think I'm superior, as I said I often feel like I'm missing out on a lot of things, which is something which worries me. I greatly dislike the way I am, really, which is why I made this thread I guess.

I wouldn't say you were old fashioned. I rarely go out, i don't use social media and i listen to pretty obscure music (although i still listen rap, but even the rap i listen to still falls into the obscure catergory). Maybe you should just fine someone who is into the same stuff as you?
Original post by Vlammm
I wouldn't say you were old fashioned. I rarely go out, i don't use social media and i listen to pretty obscure music (although i still listen rap, but even the rap i listen to still falls into the obscure catergory). Maybe you should just fine someone who is into the same stuff as you?

You might be right. I don't really have any friends (hence why I have no reason to go out) and I think I'm just old fashioned in my mind.... I'm kind of preparing imagining going to university and thinking what clothes I'd wear, hence where the suit thing comes from but really I don't think I've worn a full suit in my life. And I do listen to Epic Rap Battles of History, though I for some reason never have really considered them to be rap music, though I guess they are hence the title.
I'm a bit old fashioned as well haha,

I have a moustache (no beard or sideburns tho)
I love proper dress shirts
I never talk about sex (but I do flirt)
I love fine arts and classical music

And interests? Sport duh, Old is gold: horses, fencing, swimming, rugby :smile:
OP, do you have internet friends? :cyber:
Original post by Das Ich Man
I'm a bit old fashioned as well haha,

I have a moustache (no beard or sideburns tho)
I love proper dress shirts
I never talk about sex (but I do flirt)
I love fine arts and classical music

And interests? Sport duh, Old is gold: horses, fencing, swimming, rugby :smile:

:gah::gah::gah:
Hello,

Thanks!

i like certain rap and have facebook but no other social media mainly for family rather then friends but otherwise i am very akin to yourself op and don't worry the modern world messed up wish i was born 20 years earlier

Quick Reply

Latest