The Student Room Group

Saudi Mufti declares chess as haram

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
We have already seen hadith evidence that Mohammed himself declared that Chess is, indeed, haram. Do you think the perfect prophet was wrong? And do you feel scholars are likely to disagree with him?

He is not perfect because he doesn't exist. If he exists why has my life been so horrific and he has done nothing to help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
everything is haraam these days fam ¬_¬

but me and my dad are still playing chess and aint nobody convincing me otherwise X'D
Original post by davidguettafan
He is not perfect because he doesn't exist. If he exists why has my life been so horrific and he has done nothing to help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you kindly shut up for once about your 'crappy life' because noone honestly cares...
Original post by Student403
Could you kindly shut up for once about your 'crappy life' because noone honestly cares...

Spider-Man does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spider-Man does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I ain't Spider-Man
I ain't Spider-Man

Your avatar is

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.. No it isn't
No.. No it isn't

What is it then

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is it then

Posted from TSR Mobile

:holmes:
Such an enlightened, forward thinking religion
Original post by EccentricDiamond
Such an enlightened, forward thinking religion

Hahaha yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty sure chess isn't haram.One scholar doesn't have precedence over another.

So, how do you decide which interpretation to follow? The one that suits your beliefs the most? Surely, that will lead to misunderstanding, like we see across the Islamic world.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mkap
Just bc one sheikhs made a fatwa doesn't mean other people and sheikhs will agree. It was actually a Muslim who created chess

actually, chess originated in Sassanid Persia (Shatranj) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shatranj

Edit - OK, seems that this was already mentioned several times. Sorry about that
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar
we have to make sacrifices in this life for the next.
we got a very rough deal, it appears

and, exactly, why ?
Original post by HAnwar
It would, but reality is we have to make sacrifices in this life for the next.

Why did Allah create such a flawed world if all his creations are perfect?
Reply 57
Original post by thunder_chunky
You make sacrifices for your imaginary afterlife party with your 72 virgins in paradise, but maybe you people shouldn't try to impose these moronic ideas on other people.

We aren't imposing anything on anyone, you "moron".
Original post by Ahem-
We aren't imposing anything on anyone, you "moron".

If a cleric declares something as "haram", he is decreeing that none of his followers should take part in it. He is imposing his views on his followers who in turn sometimes pressure those not in their community to follow suite. Hence, imposing. Imposing is a part of any religious law you simpleton.
Reply 59
Original post by thunder_chunky
If a cleric declares something as "haram", he is decreeing that none of his followers should take part in it. He is imposing his views on his followers who in turn sometimes pressure those not in their community to follow suite. Hence, imposing. Imposing is a part of any religious law you simpleton.

The followers have a choice. They aren't held at gunpoint you fool.

Quick Reply