The Student Room Group

Economics or Politics for PPE

I am unable to take both economics and Politics at A-level for politics as I am planning to do the one year fast track course. I was wondering which would be more essential. I am taking Maths, Chemistry, History A-level and Physics AS. I reckon I have the grades, but if I wanted to take ppe/politics and economics which one would be better to take at A-Level or would it not matter, bear in mind that I will be attempting the one year course
I'd say either tbh. Maths A Level is the most important for PPE for the most competitive courses - some unis doesn't even require it for AS level. You're taking a mixture of both essay and numerical subjects, which is also good. Finally, you took four of the strongest A levels, so taking politics, which may be seen as not as strong, wouldn't disadvantage you. Neither A level economics or politics are mandatory, so I personally don't think you even need to consider doing this. I'm taking both A levels, I could elaborate on what the two is like if you want?

EDIT: Spelling

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by blackdiamond97
I'd say either tbh. Maths A Level is the most important for PPE for the most competitive courses - some unis doesn't even require it for AS level. You're taking a mixture of both essay and numerical subjects, which is also good. Finally, you took four of the strongest A levels, so taking politics, which may be seen as not as strong, wouldn't disadvantage you. Neither A level economics or politics are mandatory, so I personally don't think you even need to consider doing this. I'm am taking both A levels, I could elaborate on what the two is like if you want?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would really appreciate it if you could elaborate and also tell me which one you think would be beneficial, tougher and which would I be able to do in 1 year?

Also would it not matter not taking one/ either for economics and politics degree especially prestigious unis
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by clement345
I would really appreciate it if you could elaborate and also tell me which one you think would be beneficial, tougher and which would I be able to do in 1 year?

Also would it not matter not taking one/ either for economics and politics degree especially prestigious unis

I'm on the Edexcel board for both. For economics, you don't even need to be amazing at maths, most people in my class doesn't even do maths so it definitely should be fine for someone who is able to understand A Level maths. You still need to be able to write essays, however. Some people find economics easy, others find it to be the hardest thing in the world, really you won't know how you feel until you try it.

Politics at AS level was far more interesting and what I imagine to be more relevant for uni than A2. This is because you were encouraged to stay on top of the news as recent stories/statistics are vital in order to get a good grade. My current A2 work is so boring however, I'm just learning about historical political ideologies. One big memory test.

More beneficial - either one I think. Someone who actually does PPE at uni would be able to answer this better.

Tougher - probably economics

One year - both. The AS units both help you out when it comes to learning A2, but I think politics may be easier to do.

Nope, I haven't seen one uni that asks for any subject within PPE at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm on the Edexcel board for both. For economics, you don't even need to be amazing at maths, most people in my class doesn't even do maths so it definitely should be fine for someone who is able to understand A Level maths. You still need to be able to write essays, however. Some people find economics easy, others find it to be the hardest thing in the world, really you won't know how you feel until you try it.

Politics at AS level was far more interesting and what I imagine to be more relevant for uni than A2. This is because you were encouraged to stay on top of the news as recent stories/statistics are vital in order to get a good grade. My current A2 work is so boring however, I'm just learning about historical political ideologies. One big memory test.

More beneficial - either one I think. Someone who actually does PPE at uni would be able to answer this better.

Tougher - probably economics

One year - both. The AS units both help you out when it comes to learning A2, but I think politics may be easier to do.

Nope, I haven't seen one uni that asks for any subject within PPE at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I will prefer politics as there seems like less content to learn than economics.

I am looking at unis like LSE, UCL, Bristol and Southampton for Politics and economics and Oxford for PPE, I am also looking to do an EPQ on politics and economics, do you think I'll have a strong application?

Yeh you're right no
I think I will prefer politics as there seems like less content to learn than economics.

I am looking at unis like LSE, UCL, Bristol and Southampton for Politics and economics and Oxford for PPE, I am also looking to do an EPQ on politics and economics, do you think I'll have a strong application?

Yeh you're right no

I would have said that the concepts within politics are way easier to understand than economics, but you also have to remember more content than economics. EPQs are always helpful, I know Southampton for a fact lowers their offers if you get an A in it. If you narrowly miss your offer grades on results day, unis might still accept you if you have an EPQ (the more competitive the uni, the less likely this will be the case, however).

Most strong applicants would have good AS grades as well as work experience/taster days/summer schools as well as have had read widely around their subject - don't rely on what you learn in the A level only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I would have said that the concepts within politics are way easier to understand than economics, but you also have to remember more content than economics. EPQs are always helpful, I know Southampton for a fact lowers their offers if you get an A in it. If you narrowly miss your offer grades on results day, unis might still accept you if you have an EPQ (the more competitive the uni, the less likely this will be the case, however).

Most strong applicants would have good AS grades as well as work experience/taster days/summer schools as well as have had read widely around their subject - don't rely on what you learn in the A level only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am obviously still deciding but I can't help think that if I go ahead with 3 A-Levels then I may mess up chemistry and not get it to an A. If I took one of the others though I have loads of content to catch up on, I am really stuck and don't want to be spending a 3rd year at college!! If you were in my position what would you do?
(edited 8 years ago)
I am unable to take both economics and Politics at A-level for politics as I am planning to do the one year fast track course. I was wondering which would be more essential. I am taking Maths, Chemistry, History A-level and Physics AS. I reckon I have the grades, but if I wanted to take ppe/politics and economics which one would be better to take at A-Level or would it not matter, bear in mind that I will be attempting the one year course

If you are sure on pursuing PPE then chemistry and physics are not necessary.

I once read that: math, further math, history and law are a great combination for PPE.

I would go for economics as it is the foundation for political/public policy.
I am obviously still deciding but I can't help think that if I go ahead with 3 A-Levels then I may mess up chemistry and not get it to an A. If I took one of the others though I have loads of content to catch up on, I am really stuck and don't want to be spending a 3rd year at college!! If you were in my position what would you do?

Personally, I'd stay with chemistry as we're now quite a bit into the educational year, and there is still time to revise hard and understand concepts. In addition, apparently most unis will cover the basics in your first year due to wide range of A Level backgrounds. However, your work ethic and mine are more than likely to be two different things, so idk if it would be better for you to stick with it or not. I'm presuming that you'd have to teach yourself if you opted to drop chemistry and pick up economics/politics - have you considered what topics you would cover each week and how you would do so?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest