The Student Room Group

The lack of gay Oscar nominees is a scandal

#OscarsSoStraight

Oh wait. Scrap that. No major populist/celebrity backing.

Scroll to see replies

Being gay is nothing like being a POC. Don't ever compare the two.
I'm gay, may I have an Oscar?
However you could argue that the inclusion of Carol and the Danish Girl are both positive for LGBT narratives and visibility.
Reply 4
Original post by Blondie987
I'm gay, may I have an Oscar?

Im dying:tongue:
It's funny how the proportion of black actors nominated since the turn of the century is the same as the proportion of black people in america. That being said, some great black actors haven't been recognised over the last 2 years in great movies.

The worst you can be is latino, virtually no nominations and significantly less than their proportion of the american population
As for gay people, who has been outstanding who hasn't been nominate? Genuine question, I'm not particularly educated on the matter and would like to know more.
Original post by bisolarsystem

Just did.

Both however are groups oppressed in modern society and who are neglected/forgotten in mainstream media and mainstream media events such as the oscars. It's not a competition about who is more oppressed, it should be a conversation on how to work to change the oppression of all oppressed groups, not fighting between oppressed groups about who is more oppressed, thereby taking the fight away from the oppressors and therefore stopping any potential change.

Although just as your comment is extremely unhelpful this entire thread is also unneeded and unhelpful, and if anything is just damaging and divide causing.
Original post by spacepirate-James
However you could argue that the inclusion of Carol and the Danish Girl are both positive for LGBT narratives and visibility.

Funny, I have heard last year's Academy Awards are also being included as an example of #OscarsSoWhite, due to the colour of the actors/actresses nominated, yet Selma was up for best film; Carol and the Danish Girl are not this year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by leinad2012
That being said, some great black actors haven't been recognised over the last 2 years in great movies.

Go on, who?
Original post by Lady Comstock
Funny, I have heard last year's Academy Awards are also being included as an example of #OscarsSoWhite, due to the colour of the actors/actresses nominated, yet Selma was up for best film; Carol and the Danish Girl are not this year.

What point are you trying to make? The Danish Girl isn't a very good film. Carol should have got a nomination for Best Picture, but rightly deserves its actress and supporting actresses for both LGBT-character leads.
Original post by leinad2012
It's funny how the proportion of black actors nominated since the turn of the century is the same as the proportion of black people in america. That being said, some great black actors haven't been recognised over the last 2 years in great movies.

The worst you can be is latino, virtually no nominations and significantly less than their proportion of the american population

There's also been some great performances by white actors that haven't received nominations in recent years.
What point are you trying to make? The Danish Girl isn't a very good film. Carol should have got a nomination for Best Picture, but rightly deserves its actress and supporting actresses for both LGBT-character leads.

It was addressing your point that suggested that my argument was somehow less valid because two LGBT films are associated with nominations this year. I don't think that makes a difference, as pointed out with last year and Selma.
It was addressing your point that suggested that my argument was somehow less valid because two LGBT films are associated with nominations this year. I don't think that makes a difference, as pointed out with last year and Selma.

I'm genuinely confused. Do you or do you not want LGBT films to be strongly nominated in the acting categories?
I'm genuinely confused. Do you or do you not want LGBT films to be strongly nominated in the acting categories?

I am following the logic of the #OscarsSoWhite campaign. Clearly it doesn't matter if LGBT films are represented if none of the nominated actors/actresses are openly gay.

Firstly, can everyone stop using 'person of colour'? Please. Taking 'person of colour' as 'correct', whilst apparently being offended by 'coloured person', is pretty much the most idiotic thing in PC right now.

Secondly, as Michael Caine quite rightly pointed out today, no-one is going to vote for a black actor just because he is black. If your problem is with representation within the film industry, then make that argument, but either way holding responsible an awards show that simply reflects the state of the industry as it is today is completely stupid.
Reply 17
Danish girl is not lgbt.... It's just a movie trying to skew the life of an intersex woman.... She was not trans. But she was bisexual.
Original post by Anon993
Danish girl is not lgbt.... It's just a movie trying to skew the life of an intersex woman.... She was not trans. But she was bisexual.

Bisexuality doesn't fall under the LGBT heading?
#OscarsSoStraight

Oh wait. Scrap that. No major populist/celebrity backing.

So, which gay actors would you suggest deserve oscars? Just curious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending