The Student Room Group

David Cameron on UK Muslim Communities: "We won’t let women be second-class citizens"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simon_g
unless they will adopt and assimilate into the local culture.

No matter how much they assimilate into the culture they will never become a person of British heritage. Their heritage will be different and they have every right to be proud of its difference.

Original post by simon_g
actually, it does. there are better and worse cultures; claiming all are equally good "but different" is a multiculturalism fallacy.

One culture being "better" or "worse" is a matter of subjectivity and you cannot proclaim a culture being "bad" as a fact.

People wonder why we have terrorist attacks left right and centre when all we do and continue to do is demonize everything about their countries and acting is if they don't even matter in the decaying legacy of our imperialism.
Original post by NickLCFC
Want to live in England? Learn English. This is literally common sense, I wish he'd just deport them all instead and require them to learn English before they permenantly move here.

So to add to the trauma of seeing their family members die in front of their eyes, living every day of their lives in their homelands fearing for their lives, to then have to embark on an odyssey across Europe often with infants in tow only to be turned away because in between all of that, they may not have been able to fit in the extensive study of a foreign language?

Coming from someone who can't even spell in their first language

Spoiler

I think that's a bit rich.
Original post by katinthehat
So to add to the trauma of seeing their family members die in front of their eyes, living every day of their lives in their homelands fearing for their lives, to then have to embark on an odyssey across Europe often with infants in tow only to be turned away because in between all of that, they may not have been able to fit in the extensive study of a foreign language?

When did I even mention anything about refugees? David Cameron is clearly talking about UK Muslim communities that have already settled here and have lived here for several years.

Original post by katinthehat
Coming from someone who can't even spell in their first language

I think that's a bit rich.

More like a bit of an exaggeration.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Then they see their families split, and ultimately they lose out too (incentive for reduced oppression)

Cameron et al. cannot be in their living rooms, or even in their communities, to police this stuff. So, we need some way of ensuring baseline improvements in integration by way of (dis)incentives

Only a very small few would actually break from thier families, The indoctrination and subservience runs deep through many generations.

And you cannot force intergration - it will only build resentment. Islamic people and thier culture are utterly incomprehensible with western ideals and values. Unless they change it will not happen
Original post by Quantex
"190,000 British Muslim women or 22 per cent"

There are around 1.3 million Muslim women in the UK. 190,000 is not 22%. I think the government may need to employ a statistician with at least a GCSE in maths. And the general population should stop accepting stats without applying some really basic critical thinking.

British Muslim women
I imagine that doesn't include immigrants
Original post by Flame Alchemist
It seems as soon as any politician comes into power the British public automatically hates them. It even seems the Americans at least treat their leader with some amount of respect; it's a sad state of affairs if they're beating us in that area...

Sorry, have you heard how the Republicans and Tea party (and their supporters) talk about Democrats, let alone Obama?
Original post by abruiseonthesky
Sorry, have you heard how the Republicans and Tea party (and their supporters) talk about Democrats, let alone Obama?

Oh yeah definitely, it just seems a more general thing. It's probably more a result of the left-bias of social media, though.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Slightly bizarre way of putting it, but nonetheless rings true. That said, plenty of British ex-pats who could also 'take a leaf' in this regard :rolleyes:

Yeah but foreign governments aren't charging the locals for the expats' lessons either. I don't want my tax money to be used to pay for their lessons. They should be able to speak some english before they get benefits and handouts. They stay in their segregated communities out of choice. They could integrate better if they wanted to but they don't so leave them be.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Next week: David Cameron tackles the same issues in the Jewish community...

...Or not.

These issues are no way near as prevalent in the Jewish community.
Original post by BaconandSauce
You say that but I now people from the UK who live in Spain France Germany and Japan to name a few and all of them can speak the local language well enough to get by at places like the shop or at a doctors.

But if other countries decided to enforce this does that mean you would have no issue with this in the UK as well?

I'm from spain and it is astonishing how many Brits my age have lived here all their lives and don't speak a word of Spanish. Like, they live completely isolated from the local community: they have their own bars, shops, radio stations and even private schools. It's like they live in Britain but with sun.
Original post by Heisenberg97
I'm from spain and it is astonishing how many Brits my age have lived here all their lives and don't speak a word of Spanish. Like, they live completely isolated from the local community: they have their own bars, shops, radio stations and even private schools. It's like they live in Britain but with sun.

Yup.

Us english have a massive wedge up our arse when it comes to this.

Double standards everywhere.
Original post by Heisenberg97

Do the Spanish people fund these people?

But it's up to Spain to decide how to handle this and I wouldn't criticise them for whatever choice they made.
Original post by simbasdragon
These issues are no way near as prevalent in the Jewish community.

I didn't say they were but even if they were not as prevalent, I would still expect some kind of response from David Cameron but there has hardly been anything, in all his years as PM.

Or is it because Muslims tend to generally vote Labour and David Cameron is simply trying to score political points by castigating a minority?

But it's up to Spain to decide how to handle this and I wouldn't criticise them for whatever choice they made.

Does it really matter who funds the people? Is your argument about economics or is it about integration?

By the content of your posts, it seems to be the latter but suddenly we see you concentrating on the former.

Double standards or cultural superiority, call it what you will.
Does it really matter who funds the people? Is your argument about economics or is it about integration?

By the content of your posts, it seems to be the latter but suddenly we see you concentrating on the former.

Double standards or cultural superiority, call it what you will.

Given this was my first post on the subject

YesI expect if you want the state to support you and your children you should be able to ask for this in the language of this country

I doubt you've read my posts

Nope, the thing is the Brits here are usually upper class and dont ask for government support, if anything they're much more consistent with their tax paying than many spaniards, and they help boost our economy for sure. Although, most of their privately spent monet goes to their inner circle kind of markets like british supermarkets and such. I was talking about a cultural issue rather than an economical one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Given this was my first post on the subject

I doubt you've read my posts

So you have no issue with women not speaking English, so long as they don't seek support from the state?
So you have no issue with women not speaking English, so long as they don't seek support from the state?

Or try and become citizens yes I have no problem then speaking the language of their country while living in the UK.
Or try and become citizens yes I have no problem then speaking the language of their country while living in the UK.

I'm guessing you're cool with bilinguals keeping up their mother tongue too :tongue:
Original post by abruiseonthesky
I'm guessing you're cool with bilinguals keeping up their mother tongue too :tongue:

Yes I even, shock horror, don't care what language people speak at home but if you have children you should choose English as it should be their first language and its improving your childs lot, a thing all good parents try and achive.

But being able to communicate with the society you have chosen to be a citizen of is, I don't think, an unreasonable part of citizenship of a country
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending