The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for Oxbridge? Proving it here.

Scroll to see replies

You got a Cambridge offer with BCD?! Dayuuuum. I thought you had to average out around 90% in your AS... :ninja: am I missing something? :lol:

What subject do you plan on studying?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
All of them :tongue:. They were the modules I took in '14 plus Fp1 which I have 94 in. I was originally meant to be self studying D1, M2 and S2 as the applied class clashed with music and I refused to drop anything. I didn't and kind of did this cram attempt in the weeks/days before hand to varying degrees of failure.

Spoiler

That's what you get for cramming. I think I tried reading D1 the day off or day before. Anyway, new beginnings! Fp2 surprised me. I did no papers outside of class but I had gotten an A* scrape in the mock before so thought that making it to the occasional pure math class was paying off. Clearly not. I remember predicting 68/75 or so in the real exam so was a shocker. Fp3 was about right. I missed a lot of lessons but most of it made sense and wasn't conceptually difficult.

S2 will require practice, yes! I've not considered S3, no. I've already made my entries but I'll look at the spec description this weekend. @Robbie242 has said it's easy but I don't trust those that do STEP.

And thank you for checking me out :h:

I say look at wither M3 or S3 because you'll find that there will be a lot of cross over material. Plus, because D1 is a AS module, even if you get over 90 in it, it won't actually count towards the A* which you would be requiring (I remember the days when Cambridge gave AAB offers :tongue: ) Having a quick look at the S2 and 3 syllabus, there isn't much in terms of content and given that you're going over the S2 content (which you could do in a weekend), the S3 stuff shouldn't be too terrible. Plus there are resources online (via youtube and asking questions on here) that can aid you on that front :smile:

Do you get any support from the Further Maths Support Network? I can't remember how you can get support via them but it would be something I'd look into :yep: Your college could help on that front? (or ask your DoS at Cambridge? )

I tried doing D1 a few days before. Sadly I had a crash with the fact that I had 3 exams on the day and as such got a D in that and my physics unit 1 paper (which I retook to get a high A in the physics paper). D1 you can't cram at all. It's not possible and a lot of people fail or do badly as a result.

For the Further maths modules, make sure that you're confident with the material. You can always PM/write here if you ever have any tricky questions you want me to help with :smile:

You can do this! :biggrin:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
You got a Cambridge offer with BCD?! Dayuuuum. I thought you had to average out around 90% in your AS... :ninja: am I missing something? :lol:

I did get As at AS but my year 13 A2s were D-Us so the averages were bad. FM was all done in year 13 so I don't have a separate AS.
(edited 8 years ago)

I too have done it with ABBCC at AS (but missed my grades due to STEP :mmm: )
Reply 24
I'm aiming for A*A*A* to make up for my rather mediocre to poor BCD grades that I currently hold in the subjects in question.
They are Biology, Chemistry and Further Mathematics respectively.

I'll edit in my Study Plan. And will do a weekly target check.

While A*A*A* would be nice, I need only A*A*A to meet my offer for Cambridge so if time-management continues to be an issue, I will concentrate on Further Maths and Chemistry. I'm concentrating on those for my A*s because I'd need 94% in Bio to get an A* as I only have a B in the A2 CW. I need only get a B in either of the exams to get an A over all in Bio so for this reason it's of a lower priority. But I will try my best with them all :biggrin:.

April Easter break is crazy past paper season so I will be trying to definitely be past paper then by the latest.

Wrong tag - but I'm here anyway. Must be karma :smile:

Good luck dude!
You guys are shining a light that's never been shone before omg :zomg:

Original post by Slowbro93
I too have done it with ABBCC at AS (but missed my grades due to STEP :mmm: )

what?! :eek3: :eek4: :eek2: I need to breathe

I did But my year 13 A2s were D-Us so the averages were bad. FM was all done in year 13 so I don't have a separate AS.

Okay, I understand you've completely placed your A2s at the back of your mind as if they've never happened and have started afresh with your ASs and that's all they should consider tbf, but don't they look at year 12 averages before making an offer?

Even if they do or don't, you must have something special about you that they seriously couldn't resist :moon:
Original post by jneill
Wrong tag - but I'm here anyway. Must be karma :smile:Good luck dude!

Thanks. Apologies.

Okay, I understand you've completely placed your A2s at the back of your mind as if they've never happened and have started afresh with your ASs and that's all they should consider tbf, but don't they look at year 12 averages before making an offer?

Even if they do or don't, you must have something special about you that they seriously couldn't resist :moon:

Perhaps I haven't been clear. ASD thing? I'm not resitting any ASs as they're fine as they are (except for kinda FM as that was all done in year 13).

I am resitting some year 13 units in A FM, A2 Chem and A2 Bio. I am leaving Chem and Bio practicals because I got 44/60 and 54/60 in them and they're pricey to resit.
My ASs were adequate for an application and they were also looked at in the context of haven moved out at 16 to live alone in my first apartment.

He's brilliant at maths :wink:. Doing a PHD now actually :biggrin:.
(edited 8 years ago)
You guys are shining a light that's never been shone before omg :zomg:

So for a range of reasons, I didn't perform as I could have during my A Levels. However, during my application I had a couple of teachers explain this as part of my reference (despite my head of sixth telling me that I would blacklist the school should I apply ...)

I wasn't expecting to get anywhere with the application however I was given an interview and I was over the moon! I prepared for the interview (applied for maths) and then went :smile: During my time there, there was a guy before me who was in tears and I was quite nervous at that stage. However, I went into the interview and although I asked for another colour pen (because at the time I used to feel really sick writing in blue pen and told them this) felt the interview went alright. The second one however I really enjoyed, as I was able to essentially become a babbling mathmo which is something I never got the chance to do whilst at school :tongue:

There were bets on who would get in from my school as two of us applied (the other to Oxford). At the time, Oxford gave the results before Christmas and they found out they didn't get in (despite everyone thinking he would, and he was so great at Physics!) I waited for the letter but got an email with the letter attached. I got an offer!

The issues I had during my AS year cropped up again and I was in a really bad place in my life. As such, I messed up a couple of my papers and didn't make the maths offer. I was offered an alternative course but decided quite quickly to say no and take my offer at KCL (which because I missed one of the physics grades just they called them up and helped me with my case).

A few years later, I'm in a much better place with my mental health, I have a first class degree and now doing a PhD in a field that I love (Meteorology), at a place I love! So it didn't end up terribly for me :tongue:

(sorry for the massive digression, I don't tell this story often but only do when people ask :smile: )

I interview really well. Must be the glasses.

Ok fair enough but how did you even get them predictions? No teacher would predict that based off your current grades surely!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frances98
Ok fair enough but how did you even get them predictions? No teacher would predict that based off your current grades surely!

Posted from TSR Mobile

With AS scores over 90% and some at 98- 100, it wasn't a stretch to think I could do similarly well at A2.

They knew I was never in in year 13 due to caring and depression. It took some begging but they were willing to make the predictions after I assured them my life was back on track.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
(edited 8 years ago)
Get off TSR and start revising!
Done exercises A-C of Matrices. Onto exercise D. Wondering if I ought to have done vectors first as the examples for this exercise are about transformations of planes and lines.

Ah well. I think I'll do most or all the questions instead of just the last few as there's a few types of question.

Finding new line and plane equations after giving a matrix T but also figuring out a matrix after being given a linear transformation rule.

With AS scores over 90% and some at 98- 100, it wasn't a stretch to think I could do similarly well at A2.

They knew I was never in in year 13 due to caring and depression. It took some begging but they were willing to make the predictions after I assured them my life was back on track.

So your doing year 14?
I'm aiming for A*A*A* to make up for my rather mediocre to poor BCD grades that I currently hold in the subjects in question.
They are Biology, Chemistry and Further Mathematics respectively.

I'll edit in my Study Plan. And will do a weekly target check.

While A*A*A* would be nice, I need only A*A*A to meet my offer for Cambridge so if time-management continues to be an issue, I will concentrate on Further Maths and Chemistry. I'm concentrating on those for my A*s because I'd need 94% in Bio to get an A* as I only have a B in the A2 CW. I need only get a B in either of the exams to get an A over all in Bio so for this reason it's of a lower priority. But I will try my best with them all :biggrin:.

April Easter break is crazy past paper season so I will be trying to definitely be past paper then by the latest.

Good luck, hope it works for you! (:
I am also studying Further Maths, which board are you on and how are you finding it ?
Original post by frances98
So your doing year 14?

In a manner of speaking. I left college in '14. I'm working. You could say that I'm on my 2nd of 3 gap years.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Roxanne18
Good luck, hope it works for you! (:
I am also studying Further Maths, which board are you on and how are you finding it ?

Thanks Roxanne. I'm on Edexcel. It's fine so far but I'm dreading D1 and topics like integration which have a lot to remember. I've much to remember.

Same questions to you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks Roxanne. I'm on Edexcel. It's fine so far but I'm dreading D1 and topics like integration which have a lot to remember. I've much to remember.

Same questions to you.

Awh okay, I'm on AQA. I haven't done D1, I'm doing S2 and M2 instead, which others went with yours ?
Though integration has a lot to remember, I'm dreading FP2 as that requires a lot of learning!
I'm finding it okay, I find FP4 challenging, as it is totally new to me, its like nothing I've seen before, though we are coming to the end now!

Well I had ABCCD :tongue:. I did A level maths in years 11 and 12 :holmes:. ASs in Chemistry, Biology and Music in year 12 which were As. A2s in those as well as a full A level in FM in year 13. Year 13 was a disaster.

The Natural Sciences Tripos
Biological

that's much better than i thought from your OP, well done and good luck
He's brilliant at maths :wink:. Doing a PHD now actually :biggrin:.

Who is? Sorry I'm lost just got reading the whole thread post and every comment. :tongue: Congratulations on the offer! I hope your grind pays off in the end.

Here is some motivation

Original post by Rftra
No more gym 100% revision till end of exams

A healthy body is a healthy mind. You can always fit gym around + it helps you be more productive if your using it as a break inbetween studying different subjects.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Who is? Sorry I'm lost just got reading the whole thread post and every comment. :tongue: Congratulations on the offer! I hope your grind pays off in the end.

@Slowbro93 is. No need to apologise. And thank you.

This week has been pretty bad across the ball. I'm stressed with work. Hope to work rather effectively in the next 2 days in order to meet Wed's targets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending