The Student Room Group

4 Rejections - Tips for applying again next year !

Well I nearly have 4 rejections. One more expected soon - and all before interview.

I know the problem is a low UKCAT of 625. I worked very hard for it but I am just a slow reader and could not get enough answers completed. I don't know how I could improve on it.

I have decided that if I get AAA in the summer I will take the UKCAT again and if I get around 670 I will reapply again and get plenty of volunteering jobs etc. I may also bring my 4th AS up to A2 in order to keep my brain ticking over for a year.
If my UKCAT is bad then I may just take my BioMed offer and try graduate entry later.

Are there any UNIs who give extra points for completed A2s. The only one I have seen is Leicester. Ironically I wish I had applied there this time as I would have had enough points on their scoring system to have got an interview.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BadLashes
Well I nearly have 4 rejections. One more expected soon - and all before interview.

I know the problem is a low UKCAT of 625. I worked very hard for it but I am just a slow reader and could not get enough answers completed. I don't know how I could improve on it.

I have decided that if I get AAA in the summer I will take the UKCAT again and if I get around 670 I will reapply again and get plenty of volunteering jobs etc. I may also bring my 4th AS up to A2 in order to keep my brain ticking over for a year.
If my UKCAT is bad then I may just take my BioMed offer and try graduate entry later.

Are there any UNIs who give extra points for completed A2s. The only one I have seen is Leicester. Ironically I wish I had applied there this time as I would have had enough points on their scoring system to have got an interview.

Tbh, are you definitely sure it's because of UKCAT? I would get feedback from uni's just to make sure you know exactly what you need to improve on.

I'm only saying this because my UKCAT was alright (680) but I've still managed to get 3 rejections so far)

Good Luck!!!
Reply 2
Original post by cookiemonster15
Tbh, are you definitely sure it's because of UKCAT? I would get feedback from uni's just to make sure you know exactly what you need to improve on.

I'm only saying this because my UKCAT was alright (680) but I've still managed to get 3 rejections so far)

Good Luck!!!

Yes I am sure as I have been told. Cant be exams as I have 10A* at GSCE and 4 As at AS with predictions of A*A*A at A2. My personal statement is good and I have 5 hours per week in care home for the last 2 years. Also plenty of work experience which also included 4 weeks in a cancer research place.
Did you write about any of your extracurricular activities in your ps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I am sure as I have been told. Cant be exams as I have 10A* at GSCE and 4 As at AS with predictions of A*A*A at A2. My personal statement is good and I have 5 hours per week in care home for the last 2 years. Also plenty of work experience which also included 4 weeks in a cancer research place.

Jesus christ. Assuming you aren't exaggerating, how on earth do they reject candidates with those grades? Your UKCAT score wasn't even bad. Was it a rejection without an interview?

My only tip would be to actually achieve your predicted grades (or at least close to them) then apply again to a variety of Uni's. You don't have to do medicine at Imperial or Oxbridge.

Was in a similar position and currently looking at graduate entry. My advice would be keep looking for undergrad entry. Ever increasing competition for grad level entry makes it even harder to get in to. You will be competing against a lot more people for far fewer available places. There is also a much greater financial burden, no where near the level of support available
Reply 6
If you get two or three A* then you are pretty much guaranteed interview in Exeter because they use tier system and achieved 2A* will put you in the first tier. Also with your GCSE grades you are guaranteed to get interview in Cardiff they don't look at your Ukcat. Consider doing UKcat courses they will really help. it seems you are really good at science you might try to do BMAT unis. Also Majority of students who do ukcat second year end up improving their previous year score. Do you mind telling me your this year choices ?

sorry to hear :frown: i got 620 and had an interview still waiting from my others, i definitely would reapply next, all my friends who have done with achieved grades said it is a lot less of a gamble!!
Reply 8
Original post by Mimikhalil
sorry to hear :frown: i got 620 and had an interview still waiting from my others, i definitely would reapply next, all my friends who have done with achieved grades said it is a lot less of a gamble!!

Where did you apply to ? and what uni interviewed you?

I applied to Aberdeen, Glasgow and Liverpool and still waiting on Bristol. I just missed Liverpool's ukcat cutoff by 5 marks I think!

I did a UKCAT course and also included plenty of extra curricular stuff as I play hockey at high level.
Where did you apply to ? and what uni interviewed you?

I applied to Aberdeen, Glasgow and Liverpool and still waiting on Bristol. I just missed Liverpool's ukcat cutoff by 5 marks I think!

I did a UKCAT course and also included plenty of extra curricular stuff as I play hockey at high level.

UEA, nottingham, keele, cardiff, interview at UEA
thats so annoying :frown:
Reply 10

Sorry to hear of your situation. I just thought it would be worth saying that the UKCAT cutoff scores for graduate entry are higher than for undergraduate entry.
I also think it's because you applied to the wrong universities perhaps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Hey there, I am sorry to hear you got rejected by the three medical schools you applied to. Fingers crossed that you will at least get called for an interview at Bristol. The shortlisting process is rather subjective in my opinion, as they have to filter out thousands of applications for only a few hundred interview places. You have excellent extra-curriculars, but I doubt they read every applicant's personal statement. I am a reapplicant this year as I got rejected by all four medical schools last year. Thankfully, now I hold an unconditional offer to study medicine at Cambridge :biggrin:

My advice to you is this. If you decide to reapply this October, make sure to commit more time in preparing for your application. Focus on your weakness. For example, you mentioned that your UKCAT score is low because you're a slow reader. I was a slow reader too. But this time, I came prepared. I learnt how to speed read, almost doubled my words per minute read. My VR section of the UKCAT improved vastly as a result. I don't recommend going to any of the UKCAT courses at all, as the key to doing well in my opinion is practice. Plenty of cheaper and better alternatives are available, such as investing on a Medify subscription.

Be mentally prepared to go through what you went through all over again - the admissions test, personal statement, waiting for interviews, interviews, and more waiting again. I also suggest organising some mock interviews for practice as you did not manage to get any interview experience.

My choices last year were quite ambitious, but this year my uni choices are more conservative. Do your research and always apply to your strength. Your UKCAT this year is slightly below average. Applying to unis that uses the UKCAT as part of their shortlisting process isn't such a good idea. Unis like Cardiff only uses the UKCAT in borderline situations, while using personal statement and academic results to shortlist applicants for interviews. Also, a bad UKCAT isn't the end. You can always try applying to a BMAT university.

The best thing about reapplying is that you could actually buckle down and prepare yourself for the admission tests and interviews, since you have completed your A-levels. Take the year out to do some postive things, like learning a new skill, or volunteering. I'd be happy to answer any of your questions through PM if you want!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Vodka
Hey there, I am sorry to hear you got rejected by the three medical schools you applied to. Fingers crossed that you will at least get called for an interview at Bristol. The shortlisting process is rather subjective in my opinion, as they have to filter out thousands of applications for only a few hundred interview places. You have excellent extra-curriculars, but I doubt they read every applicant's personal statement. I am a reapplicant this year as I got rejected by all four medical schools last year. Thankfully, now I hold an unconditional offer to study medicine at Cambridge :biggrin:

My advice to you is this. If you decide to reapply this October, make sure to commit more time in preparing for your application. Focus on your weakness. For example, you mentioned that your UKCAT score is low because you're a slow reader. I was a slow reader too. But this time, I came prepared. I learnt how to speed read, almost doubled my words per minute read. My VR section of the UKCAT improved vastly as a result. I don't recommend going to any of the UKCAT courses at all, as the key to doing well in my opinion is practice. Plenty of cheaper and better alternatives are available, such as investing on a Medify subscription.

Be mentally prepared to go through what you went through all over again - the admissions test, personal statement, waiting for interviews, interviews, and more waiting again. I also suggest organising some mock interviews for practice as you did not manage to get any interview experience.

My choices last year were quite ambitious, but this year my uni choices are more conservative. Do your research and always apply to your strength. Your UKCAT this year is slightly below average. Applying to unis that uses the UKCAT as part of their shortlisting process isn't such a good idea. Unis like Cardiff only uses the UKCAT in borderline situations, while using personal statement and academic results to shortlist applicants for interviews. Also, a bad UKCAT isn't the end. You can always try applying to a BMAT university.

The best thing about reapplying is that you could actually buckle down and prepare yourself for the admission tests and interviews, since you have completed your A-levels. Take the year out to do some postive things, like learning a new skill, or volunteering. I'd be happy to answer any of your questions through PM if you want!

Good luck :smile:

Thankyou very much for your very detailed reply.

I will take your advice on board. I have discovered there are courses that you can do to speed read and I will do one. If my UKCAT is not great next time then I will do the BMAT and say apply to 2 BMAT and 2UKCAT universities.

I am already thinking about what I will do next year with regard to volunteering. I will also upgrade my fourth AS to an A2 to keep my brain focused. I am also told that Universities look favourably at repeat applications as it shows determination to follow the medical path.

Well done on your Cambridge Offer and I wish you every success with it.

Thanks Again
My ukcat is 637.5 and I have had three interviews,I don't think it's your ukcat score particularly but more about where you applied.You have amazing stats and I think that you should next year apply to your strengths.Also maybe consider doing the bmat
Thankyou very much for your very detailed reply.

I will take your advice on board. I have discovered there are courses that you can do to speed read and I will do one. If my UKCAT is not great next time then I will do the BMAT and say apply to 2 BMAT and 2UKCAT universities.

I am already thinking about what I will do next year with regard to volunteering. I will also upgrade my fourth AS to an A2 to keep my brain focused. I am also told that Universities look favourably at repeat applications as it shows determination to follow the medical path.

Well done on your Cambridge Offer and I wish you every success with it.

Thanks Again

Hello,

The grades you listed earlier in the thread look amazing - we hope you get your predicted grades as that will certainly take the pressure off when you reapply this October!

If you're particularly worried about your UKCAT performance, you could try and find universities who don't focus too much on UKCAT scores. For instance, we used our Medical School Comparison Tool to see how various universities use the UKCAT and found the following:

Aberdeen says:
"Candidates' UKCAT scores are considered in our selection for interview but are not the sole indicator for selection. They are considered alongside actual and predicted academic achievement in deciding who will be selected for interview. A minimum UKCAT cut-off score is NOT used. A score is allocated based on the applicant's overall performance in UKCAT compared with all other applicants to Aberdeen." (This is useful for you because of your great results and predicted grades.)

Birmingham says:
"An application will receive an overall score, which is the sum of weighted scores for each of the academic and UKCAT components. The weightings will be: academic 70%; UKCAT 30%. Applicants (exceptions identified below) will be ranked according to this score." (Again, useful for you because if 70% if based on grades, you could have a good chance!)

Cardiff says:
"There is no minimum score or threshold required for Cardiff in the UKCAT so no matter what you apply with, we will still consider your application.
We only use the results of an applicant’s UKCAT test if we are at the end of the process with two applicants in a “tiebreak” situation, at which point we may refer to the test results to make a decision." (Useful for you if you're worried about getting a low UKCAT grade!)

The above information has been checked with the university websites (hyperlinked in blue).

Working down the list of UK Medical Schools in alphabetical order, we have already found three universities that say they don't focus on the UKCAT alone! If you continue down the list, we're sure you'll be able to find other unis that do the same.

We wish you best of luck with your second application, and hope the above information helps!

Don't lose faith - you can do it!

The Medic Portal
Reply 16
Original post by Michaaelaaa
My ukcat is 637.5 and I have had three interviews,I don't think it's your ukcat score particularly but more about where you applied.You have amazing stats and I think that you should next year apply to your strengths.Also maybe consider doing the bmat

Thanks, were did you apply ?

Thanks Medic Portal. I have been told that Aberdeen really favour scottish applicants. 5 from my school applied there and all got rejected and most of them had good accademics and ukcats all above 650.
Thanks, were did you apply ?

Thanks Medic Portal. I have been told that Aberdeen really favour scottish applicants. 5 from my school applied there and all got rejected and most of them had good accademics and ukcats all above 650.

I applied to Cambridge (rejection post interview),Leeds(interview),Queen mary(interview) and Bristol (rejection pre interview)
Reply 18
I applied to Cambridge (rejection post interview),Leeds(interview),Queen mary(interview) and Bristol (rejection pre interview)

You must have has a good BMAT especially to get an interview for Cambridge and Leeds. I just got rejected from Bristol 2 days ago and am gutted as it was my last hope !

what are your GCSE and A-level grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending