The Student Room Group

(OCR) A2 English Literature *F663* | 2016 Official Thread

(OCR) A2 ENGLISH LITERATURE OFFICIAL THREAD

*Details of exam*
F663 - Drama and Prose Pre-1800
Friday 17 June (am)
completed

How did you find the exam? Were you expecting any of the questions that came up? Be sure to express your thoughts and feelings here!

Fill in the really quick and easy form below if you can!:

AS Grade:
A2 Personal Target Grade:
Section A:
Section B:

I'll do mine:

AS Grade: B
A2 Personal Target Grade: B/A
Section A: Antony and Cleopatra
Section B: The Rivals + The Wife of Bath's Prologue and Tale

:party2: May this 2016 be a successful one for all of us! :party2:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'll bump this thread a few times in case anyone is looking for it but can't find it :ninja:
Moving to English exams! :h: I'll also sticky it to keep it at the top, hopefully that's allowed :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Moving to English exams! :h: I'll also sticky it to keep it at the top, hopefully that's allowed :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You star :gah:
Hi I'm doing The Wife of Bath and Volpone as a comparative essay but I'm really struggling and my teacher isn't much help as I'd like :frown: I'm doing King Lear as well but my teacher for this part of the exam is really good so I think I'm okay on that section. Is anyone doing the same texts and can share some wisdom with me? Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by sophia.lega
Hi I'm doing The Wife of Bath and Volpone as a comparative essay but I'm really struggling and my teacher isn't much help as I'd like :frown: I'm doing King Lear as well but my teacher for this part of the exam is really good so I think I'm okay on that section. Is anyone doing the same texts and can share some wisdom with me? Thank you!

I'm doing the same texts as you and I'm struggling with the comparative essay too. We have had a change of teachers half way through so its been confusing.Have you found any good revision sources or example essays.
Original post by Xero1
I'm doing the same texts as you and I'm struggling with the comparative essay too. We have had a change of teachers half way through so its been confusing.Have you found any good revision sources or example essays.

I can't find anything on WOB or Volpone as comparisons, whoever thought these two texts would be a good idea to use are idiots.
Reply 7
AS Grade: A
A2 Personal Target Grade: A
Section A: Anthony and Cleopatra
Section B: 'Tis Pity She's a Whore + Songs of Innocence and Expereience
anyone doing blake and volpone?!
Who knows what the questions for last years section B was? I have a mock next week and think they will use last years paper!
Original post by learner248
anyone doing blake and volpone?!

Yes!!
Original post by Naveed Rahman

I'm doing the exact same texts as you! :five:

How are you finding The Rivals and WoB? I feel like it's going to be hard to think of comparisons on the spot during the exam haha.
Original post by sophia.lega
I can't find anything on WOB or Volpone as comparisons, whoever thought these two texts would be a good idea to use are idiots.

You can read the WoB modern translation online on Sparknotes where everything makes a trillion times more sense. Once you've read the translation you'll be reading the medieval English like it's a second language! :lol:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I'm doing the exact same texts as you! :five:

How are you finding The Rivals and WoB? I feel like it's going to be hard to think of comparisons on the spot during the exam haha.

I really like both of the texts, but i'm finding it hard to realise how weighted the exam is in A04 and A03. I have really good A02 points but my ability to compare on the spot in an exam is being tested haha! I had a mock exam this week and was really confident before i went in; when i started to write i realise that i talk about one text too much before i talk about the next, but we're meant to interweave comparisons throughout each paragraph- which is hard!
I really like both of the texts, but i'm finding it hard to realise how weighted the exam is in A04 and A03. I have really good A02 points but my ability to compare on the spot in an exam is being tested haha! I had a mock exam this week and was really confident before i went in; when i started to write i realise that i talk about one text too much before i talk about the next, but we're meant to interweave comparisons throughout each paragraph- which is hard!

Oh my, we haven't even had a mock for section B because we spent 4 months doing Antony and Cleo and the Rivals :afraid:

For my mock, I got full marks for A02 and A03 but got 4/5 for A01 and A04 - they're so difficult to put in. And I suck at doing comparison work, so God knows how I'll write in the exam and my upcoming coursework :dontknow:. It's easy to forget to put in the critics but once you get going, it'll be fine I guess :h:
Reply 16
Section A: Anthony and Cleopatra
Section B: 'Tis Pity She's a Whore + Songs of Innocence and Expereience
Oh my, we haven't even had a mock for section B because we spent 4 months doing Antony and Cleo and the Rivals :afraid:

For my mock, I got full marks for A02 and A03 but got 4/5 for A01 and A04 - they're so difficult to put in. And I suck at doing comparison work, so God knows how I'll write in the exam and my upcoming coursework :dontknow:. It's easy to forget to put in the critics but once you get going, it'll be fine I guess :h:

We started with The Rivals and TWOB so dont worry, we're going start Antony and Cleo next week! How are you finding the Shakespeare? I'm looking forward to it because its more AO2 and I am the king of language analysis haha! Plus its not comparative thank the lord!
We started with The Rivals and TWOB so dont worry, we're going start Antony and Cleo next week! How are you finding the Shakespeare? I'm looking forward to it because its more AO2 and I am the king of language analysis haha! Plus its not comparative thank the lord!

I feel like you could easily do Antony and Cleo is 3 weeks (if you read it all with the translation before starting) but The Rivals and WoB takes time. Especially since you need to learn some snippets of the medieval English which is a pain to do haha. Antony and Cleo have quotes you can use for any question (you get two choices in the exam) and you just need to remember a handful of critics - my teachers recommended we only know quotes from Frank Kermode and Lucy Hughes-Hallet.

Yep, Antony and Cleopatra will be a life saver (hence why I performed well in the mock). I definitely need to work on A04 though (context).
I feel like you could easily do Antony and Cleo is 3 weeks (if you read it all with the translation before starting) but The Rivals and WoB takes time. Especially since you need to learn some snippets of the medieval English which is a pain to do haha. Antony and Cleo have quotes you can use for any question (you get two choices in the exam) and you just need to remember a handful of critics - my teachers recommended we only know quotes from Frank Kermode and Lucy Hughes-Hallet.

Yep, Antony and Cleopatra will be a life saver (hence why I performed well in the mock). I definitely need to work on A04 though (context).

Ah thats a good idea! I might watch the film version and read the play before-hand, and i like a text with versatile quotes. Tbh if i just smash Ant and Cleo and my coursework hopefully i'll bag an A for A2 (fingers crossed)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending