The Student Room Group

I think I would rather adopt than have kids of my own.

Ever since I was 12 years old, I have never wanted kids of my own, I have always told my self I wanted to adopt instead, now I am turning 18, my mind has not changed from this idea and still want to adopt but I don't want to have kids of my own.
I just think it is pointless to bring children into this already over-populated not-so-great world and enhance someone else's life instead. - I have yet to meet someone that thinks like me yet though.:rolleyes:
I just feel quite upset about the whole situation because I feel as if the chance of my finding a guy that I am interested in plus prefers to adopt than have his own kids is low- so it might not happen.

Does anyone feel the same way as me??

Scroll to see replies

Yes, I don't want any of my own either

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd probably like biological children but I hate the idea of sex so much that adoption would probably be better, plus idk if I'd even want to like get married or whatever but when you adopt a kid you don't need another person :smile: I love kids anyway so as long as I love them as my child I don't think it would matter if they were biologically related or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I absolutely agree with that, had the same opinion since I saw personally the conditions where orphaned children live...
That's not a feeling I share, but I can definitely see where you're coming from
I feel the same :smile:
Original post by loveleest
Ever since I was 12 years old, I have never wanted kids of my own, I have always told my self I wanted to adopt instead, now I am turning 18, my mind has not changed from this idea and still want to adopt but I don't want to have kids of my own.
I just think it is pointless to bring children into this already over-populated not-so-great world and enhance someone else's life instead. - I have yet to meet someone that thinks like me yet though.:rolleyes:
I just feel quite upset about the whole situation because I feel as if the chance of my finding a guy that I am interested in plus prefers to adopt than have his own kids is low- so it might not happen.

Snap!

There are way too many neglected and needing children in the world already from all over the place; like you said the world is short on natural resources; it would be selfish to bring a new child into this world when there's already loads out there who need it far better

Hi,

you're only nearly 18, you have your whole life ahead of you. I would suspect many guys your age are not ready for children either. Your mentality might change when you hit 23+, you never know!
(edited 8 years ago)
World isn't overpopulated lol

This is exactly how I feel!!! And coming from a Nigerian family adopting isn't looked down on but my parent's say that I HAVE TO have a child of my own as well and that I shouldn't let wanting to adopt a child stop me from getting married to the person if they don't want to adopt one. Ever since I was little I've loved the idea of adoption. I could adopt children from Africa, Asia, South America etc and give them a good life. And I agree, the chance of finding a man who would like to adopt is low.

I'm perfectly fine with adopting without having a husband tbh. My family might disown me but at least i'd have my child/children.:tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TSR Mustafa

Expand on this? We can't just migrate to central Australia or the Arctic tundra.

For sure! I do kind of want maybe one child of my own but adoption is definitely something I want to do. I also have pretty crappy genes to pass on, pretty much everybody in my family is suffering from some kind of illness and on a more superficial level, my eyesight is awful :tongue:

Don't feel disheartened because men might not feel the same way. There are bound to be guys out there with similar views to you and adoption is less frowned upon today. Plus, as the above poster mentions, you can also adopt without a partner.
Reply 12
Original post by bisolarsystem
This is exactly how I feel!!! And coming from a Nigerian family adopting isn't looked down on but my parent's say that I HAVE TO have a child of my own as well and that I shouldn't let wanting to adopt a child stop me from getting married to the person if they don't want to adopt one. Ever since I was little I've loved the idea of adoption. I could adopt children from Africa, Asia, South America etc and give them a good life. And I agree, the chance of finding a man who would like to adopt is low.

I'm perfectly fine with adopting without having a husband tbh. My family might disown me but at least i'd have my child/children.:tongue:

Yeah, I understand what you mean. Like my mum really wants me to have kids of my own.
Reply 13
Original post by antigone-
For sure! I do kind of want maybe one child of my own but adoption is definitely something I want to do. I also have pretty crappy genes to pass on, pretty much everybody in my family is suffering from some kind of illness and on a more superficial level, my eyesight is awful :tongue:

Don't feel disheartened because men might not feel the same way. There are bound to be guys out there with similar views to you and adoption is less frowned upon today. Plus, as the above poster mentions, you can also adopt without a partner.

Most definitely, but I feel as if I will stay single forever because I won't be able to find a guy I am interested in and ONLY wants to adopt.

You are completely right, there is no need to bring another child in this world when there are many in orphanages without families. It's truly humanity's shame that orphanages even exist when most people do want children.
Yeah, I understand what you mean. Like my mum really wants me to have kids of my own.

Parents who want to live through their children are so annoying.
I know this lovely Italian couple who adopted a Filipino orphan and she's honestly so sweet, she attends the same school as my younger brothers. The love I see both the parents and their child exchange looks to me much like the love exchanged between biological parents and their child(ren). Knowing them, it has opened my mind a lot more in regards to having children who aren't biologically my own (which I really wanted when I was younger). Also, the thought of labour actually terrifies me. Terrifies me to the extent that I actually feel sick even thinking about it :lol:

tl;dr I'm open to the idea, it'll be dependent on whether my partner and I agree on what we want when the time comes.
Kids are nothing but a burden. Don't bother, youre going to make a biiiiig mistake.
You're 18. See how you feel in your mid 20s.
Original post by TSR Mustafa

I think what she meant is that there is a significant number of children who aren't experiencing the quality of living that they truly deserve, therefore what is the point of bringing more children into the world when there are already some who aren't living the way they are meant to.

Childhood is a precious and vulnerable stage of one's life I guess

Quick Reply

Latest