The Student Room Group

Glorified historical figures who are undeserving of their praise?

Or if not undeserving then who would you say are the figures of history that we often praise too highly?

I'm asking in deliberately vague terms because you cannot really compare, for example, the personalities of a person who lived twenty years ago and two thousand years ago. But it is undeniable that history is riddled with heroes and villains who are remembered, whether rightfully or not, for their great deeds and infamous acts. But nothing is quite so black and white as that. So it can be about anything at all and about anyone at all. I'd be interested to hear any suggestions. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Thomas Edison, he stole work from Tesla and patented it as his own, or so I heard. Apparently he wasn't very nice either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Little Bo Peep. We are expected to feel sorry for this feckless trollop. She was entrusted with a flock of valuable livestock which she promptly lost. No doubt she was distracted by some inane shepherd's pipe music or was chatting wet to her girlfriends instead of concentrating on her task. Once she realised the flock had vanished LBP played the victim card and expects us to feel sorry for her.

smh

:nopity:
the wicked witch Margaret Thatcher
Original post by the bear
Little Bo Peep. We are expected to feel sorry for this feckless trollop. She was entrusted with a flock of valuable livestock which she promptly lost. No doubt she was distracted by some inane shepherd's pipe music or was chatting wet to her girlfriends instead of concentrating on her task. Once she realised the flock had vanished LBP played the victim card and expects us to feel sorry for her.

smh

And then the Toy Story movies had the gall to make her out to be the cutesy love interest of Woody. Justice! :rant:
Genghis Khan, Attila the Hun...
Cecil Rhodes...
Original post by eternaforest
Thomas Edison, he stole work from Tesla and patented it as his own, or so I heard. Apparently he wasn't very nice either

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a good one :smile: for some reason the whole 'stealing ideas from a guy cleverer than yourself' is doubly annoying to me. It reminds me of the whole controversy surrounding Bob Kane and Bill Finger in the creation of the Batman comics. Just pure spinelessness and downright cheeky :tongue:
Don't get me started on Little Miss Muffet with her weird snacks.

:mob:
Original post by driftawaay
the wicked witch Margaret Thatcher

To be honest I agree, although I know some people will hate me for saying that. Luckily people seem to be generally divided about whether she was a total saint or a sinner. At least she's like marmite in that respect. :tongue:
Original post by eternaforest
Thomas Edison, he stole work from Tesla and patented it as his own, or so I heard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that actually true? I saw it in The Prestige but I thought that was fictionalised

Original post by the bear

smh

I think this is probably the funniest post I've ever read on TSR

'She was entrusted with a flock of valuable livestock which she promptly lost.' :rofl:
(edited 8 years ago)
inb4 some imbecile submits Winston Churchill
Original post by a noble chance

Winston Churchill. :smile:
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
Winston Churchill. :smile:

Get out
Get out

Yes sir :getmecoat:

George W Bush had a bust of Churchill in the Oval Office. Obama got rid of it. Any guesses as to why?
Spartacus

He's been a popular icon in depictions of 1st century BC Rome and used as a symbol of slave revolution, democracy, and freedom. In reality, his partners Crixxus and Oenamaus were key leaders in the beginning of the third servile war; they showed no motivations towards abolishing slavery in Rome or reforming the class system; and they spent a large amount of their time pillaging civilian villages and defeating many smaller Roman armies, before finally being crushed by Crassus' legions 2 years following their escape.
Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa. Famous for her supposed concern for the poor of Calcutta but in fact responsible for more misery than existed in Calcutta before her interventions. A liar and a fraud, through and through.
Original post by adityac3688
Mother Teresa

Original post by Hydeman
Mother Teresa. Famous for her supposed concern for the poor of Calcutta but in fact responsible for more misery than existed in Calcutta before her interventions. A liar and a fraud, through and through.

Totally agree. In fact she was one of the people who actually inspired me to make this thread. Have you seen the documentary on Mother Teresa hosted by Christopher Hitchens? It was extremely eye-opening for me and actually kind of sickening..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending