The Student Room Group

Money vs Happiness

I guess this is something that people talk about a lot and I'm mostly leaning on the "doing the job you like most" idea but say I'm the kind of person who likes travelling and would like to visit many countries in my life time and require a job that can pay for that, would it be worth it to do a job that isn't necessarily my dream job (but obviously one I don't hate and won't mind) so that I can visit the world?

So... in summary. What is your opinion on doing a job you love but resulting in not having the chance of doing other things you like (visiting the world) vs doing an "OK" job that allows you to travel?

Title possibly doesn't fit the question.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ACJHealy
Gap year?!

Yeah but what if your family is poor and the only way you'd get those opportunities is through the money you earn as an adult :frown: iygm
Reply 2
Do a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life. A reasonably paid job will allow you to still see the world, a bit at a time, during your annual leave, as long as you don't waste money on other things...
Original post by TKLovesScience
I guess this is something that people talk about a lot and I'm mostly leaning on the "doing the job you like most" idea but say I'm the kind of person who likes travelling and would like to visit many countries in my life time and require a job that can pay for that, would it be worth it to do a job that isn't necessarily my dream job (but obviously one I don't hate and won't mind) so that I can visit the world?

So... in summary. What is your opinion on doing a job you love but resulting in not having the chance of doing other things you like (visiting the world) vs doing an "OK" job that allows you to travel?

To be honest, loving your job will make you happier in the long term. You only get about 4 weeks holiday a year in most jobs, so I think choosing a different career that you don't love just so you can have a few weeks of fun every year is not worth sacrificing the rest of your year for. And if you choose a job you love, it is more likely that you will get ahead and earn more than if you chose a job which you don't really care about and just want it for the money. Honestly most grad jobs in any field will pay you enough that you can save up for a few weeks holiday a year...

What job is it that you want to give up and what is the job that you think will bring you more money?
Reply 4
Yeah but what if your family is poor and the only way you'd get those opportunities is through the money you earn as an adult :frown: iygm

My aunty worked for the international department at a university and part of her job was travelling abroad to recruit students to the uni. She went to Malaysia and other places so just get an okay job that allows for traveling.
It is absolutely essential for one to have money in order to be happy. It is simply impossible to carry on living without dosh
Original post by driftawaay
To be honest, loving your job will make you happier in the long term. You only get about 4 weeks holiday a year in most jobs, so I think choosing a different career that you don't love just so you can have a few weeks of fun every year is not worth sacrificing the rest of your year for. And if you choose a job you love, it is more likely that you will get ahead and earn more than if you chose a job which you don't really care about and just want it for the money. Honestly most grad jobs in any field will pay you enough that you can save up for a few weeks holiday a year...

What job is it that you want to give up and what is the job that you think will bring you more money?

I don't really have any specific jobs and such in mind, I'm still in school xD I'd like to do jobs related to science or computing though but I guess jobs revolving that still vary a lot. My interests are science and computers, so I'd be pretty happy with a job in those areas, just not sure if they'd allow me to go travel and stuff.
Original post by chikane
My aunty worked for the international department at a university and part of her job was travelling abroad to recruit students to the uni. She went to Malaysia and other places so just get an okay job that allows for traveling.

Cool! :biggrin: I come from Malaysia! (current uk :smile:)
I don't really have any specific jobs and such in mind, I'm still in school xD I'd like to do jobs related to science or computing though but I guess jobs revolving that still vary a lot. My interests are science and computers, so I'd be pretty happy with a job in those areas, just not sure if they'd allow me to go travel and stuff.

well science-y and computer science degrees are technical and sought after and grad jobs in those areas are well paid so i dont think you have to worry about it. it doesnt matter what field you work in though, if you work for a company you only get 4 weeks off a year so you wont be traveling a lot lmao. if you want to travel, become an entreprenuer or freelance so that you can travel whenever you want.
Reply 9
Cool! :biggrin: I come from Malaysia! (current uk :smile:)

Awesome, my friend works as an assistant lecturer for the business department and she travels to Paris, Madrid, Belgium etc on uni trips.
Money brings happiness up to a certain point. After that, even if you get more money, you won't get any more happy. That's the point where you'll have to find happiness with something else - be it a loved one, an activity, or any other form of self-enlightenment. I'd say, take risks while you're in your twenties. Even if you make a mistake, you can fix it easily. It's a lot harder to take risks later in life.
Original post by driftawaay

I'm currently applying for a grad job that pays £14,104 per annum

Spoiler

Money = happiness

Always pick money.

There's no point in doing a job you enjoy to lose out on every other aspect of your life. You have to be able to seperate your work life from your home life, and if your job isn't able to let you do that because of things such as working hours and pay, then there's no point in "enjoying" the job.

You have to be able to do something outside your job, regularly, that you look forward to. Even football players (who are 99% living the dream) take time off to persue their other interests.

Make more of your life other than your job.

I say this but I'm personally going for a higher paid/ more hours job. I think that's because I come from a poor family so the value of money is a lot more to me than most, I'm sure that'll quickly change as I mature :smile:

Unfortunately the way capitalism and the West is structured:

money = freedom, freedom = happiness, ergo, money = happiness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ComputerMaths97
There's no point in doing a job you enjoy to lose out on every other aspect of your life. You have to be able to seperate your work life from your home life, and if your job isn't able to let you do that because of things such as working hours and pay, then there's no point in "enjoying" the job.

You have to be able to do something outside your job, regularly, that you look forward to. Even football players (who are 99% living the dream) take time off to persue their other interests.

Make more of your life other than your job.

I say this but I'm personally going for a higher paid/ more hours job. I think that's because I come from a poor family so the value of money is a lot more to me than most, I'm sure that'll quickly change as I mature :smile:

I'm from a poor family too so I think money is quite important as I want to be able to help my parents live a good rest of their life as they work really hard to support me. So I feel like I would need a job that would support me, (possible my own family) and give some to them too, whilst also allowing me to travel the world and do the things I love. Maybe that's too much to ask for :frown:
Reply 16

I can only think of some kind of self employment
I'm from a poor family too so I think money is quite important as I want to be able to help my parents live a good rest of their life as they work really hard to support me. So I feel like I would need a job that would support me, (possible my own family) and give some to them too, whilst also allowing me to travel the world and do the things I love. Maybe that's too much to ask for :frown:

Honestly mate, if you seriously put the effort in, you can do it. You will just have to give up other things in your life such as having nice furnature, or having all the latest gadgets - for example. Trust me, once you start to really take note of what you're spending when you are, you realise how much we waste :biggrin:
Original post by TeeEm
I can only think of some kind of self employment

My dream scenario would be successfully making a good game / software and own my own company but the chances of that would be pretty slim xD
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Honestly mate, if you seriously put the effort in, you can do it. You will just have to give up other things in your life such as having nice furnature, or having all the latest gadgets - for example. Trust me, once you start to really take note of what you're spending when you are, you realise how much we waste :biggrin:

Yeah I guess xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending