The Student Room Group

how can true racial equality be achieved in racist Britain?

In light of the Oscars row decided to throw my two cents in

The situation is this: Slavery happened. Colonialism happened. It was not rectified and thus there is an implicit sense of racial superiority held by whites in this society

representation eases the pain but ultimately does not help. the philosophies we ascribe to, the people we hold in high regard and our business practices are based on a foundation of whiteness. getting inside the system does not change it. A black judge must use precedents informed by whiteness

Similarly, meritocracy does not work either because of the way the system is built to disadvantage BMEs. Even if every black person worked in financial services they would still be expected to work in an industry which harms and negatively impacts on the lives of people in developing countries for the benefit of the west.

arguments around discomfort for the way things are met with "go back home then". Not only is this insensitive it ignores the reason why many BME foreigners come here in the first place. to get back the resources that were stolen from them.

Statements like "we did good for you look at you now" are implicitly racist and disingenuous.

i dont know if there is any real solution and if true racial equality can exist. reparations wont change the structures the west have built to unfairly compete against developing countries. Britain will not tear down queen Victoria for india or rhodes for south africa. So where do we go from here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE

arguments around discomfort for the way things are met with "go back home then". Not only is this insensitive it ignores the reason why many BME foreigners come here in the first place. to get back the resources that were stolen from them.

That's part of it but not the whole story. The problem with saying "GO back home" is that not all black people were here through free will in the first place despite slavery playing a larger part in Black American history.

Some moved to the UK in the search of a better life because imperialism decimated the existing systems in their country that allowed them to generate their own wealth. But some were also invited from colonial countries like the west indies to help rebuild post war Britain (like my grandfather and grandmother) and some fought in the war and that shows a sincere lack of gratitude for the services that not only made the country prosperous through over the slavery years but rebuilt Britain on site within the last 100 years.

This is the problem with history taught in schools in the UK, is that it seems that people are simply not taught the role in which POC both forcibly and voluntarily (in some cases) helped the UK become what it was today. To then be treated as a 2nd class citizen in the country you gave up your birth country for, sometimes by force is just ****ed up and reeks of entitlement and ingratitude.

"Thanks for helping in the war or after the war and I know you're injured and your former country is a load of bull**** since we carted you off from west africa to an island on the other side of the world. Me bad! But you can **** off back home now."

If you've lived here your whole life as a result and haven't ever been to West Indies or wherever your origins, to hear "Go home" from racist, white people is a massive slap in the face.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Eveiebaby
That's part of it but not the whole story. The problem with saying "GO back home" is that not all black people were here through free will in the first place despite slavery playing a larger part in Black American history.

Some moved to the UK in the search of a better life because imperialism decimated the existing systems in their country that allowed them to generate their own wealth. But some were also invited from colonial countries like the west indies to help rebuild post war Britain (like my grandfather and grandmother) and some fought in the war and that shows a sincere lack of gratitude for the services that not only made the country prosperous through over the slavery years but rebuilt Britain on site within the last 100 years.

This is the problem with history taught in schools in the UK, is that it seems that people are simply not taught the role in which POC both forcibly and voluntarily (in some cases) helped the UK become what it was today. To then be treated as a 2nd class citizen in the country you gave up your birth country for, sometimes by force is just ****ed up and reeks of entitlement and ingratitude.

"Thanks for helping in the war or after the war and I know you're injured and your former country is a load of bull**** since we carted you off from west africa to an island on the other side of the world. Me bad! But you can **** off back home now."

If you've lived here your whole life as a result and haven't ever been to West Indies or wherever your origins, to hear "Go home" from racist, white people is a massive slap in the face.

Totally agree. Not many people really wanna leave where they are from. the go home response is really bad for people who dont even know where they are specifically from due to the diaspora. its also kind of a ultimatum "shut up or leave" which is really unfair and totally ignores history as you said
Reply 3

The situation is this: Slavery happened. Colonialism happened. It was not rectified and thus there is an implicit sense of racial superiority held by whites in this society

representation eases the pain but ultimately does not help. the philosophies we ascribe to, the people we hold in high regard and our business practices are based on a foundation of whiteness. getting inside the system does not change it. A black judge must use precedents informed by whiteness

Similarly, meritocracy does not work either because of the way the system is built to disadvantage BMEs. Even if every black person worked in financial services they would still be expected to work in an industry which harms and negatively impacts on the lives of people in developing countries for the benefit of the west.

Statements like "we did good for you look at you now" are implicitly racist and disingenuous.

i dont know if there is any real solution and if true racial equality can exist. reparations wont change the structures the west have built to unfairly compete against developing countries. Britain will not tear down queen Victoria for india or rhodes for south africa. So where do we go from here?

This is one of the most ignorant little posts I have ever read. From the suggestion that "whites" are an homogeneous lump that can't think for themselves to that bizarre (presumably meaningless) comment about Queen Victoria. But amazingly you have the sheer nerve to talk about implicit racism, staggering...
I 100% agree that there are a given amount of people within the UK that are racist and it sickens me! They should be severely prosecuted. However, the world of racism towards black people has become ridiculous to another extent. You only have to say the word 'black' nowadays and you can be accused of racism. Look at the nursery rhyme for example, changing words from 'black sheep, black sheep' to 'rainbow sheep'! The world of racism has become out of control on both agenders.
britain is the least, or at least one of the least, racist countries in europe
the most racist countries in the world are india, and jordan, and saudi arabia, etc - not typically western liberal democracies
so before you call britain racist, ask yourself "relative to what?"

(edited 8 years ago)
Britain is not a racist country.
Original post by Chaz Kirkham
Look at the nursery rhyme for example, changing words from 'black sheep, black sheep' to 'rainbow sheep'!

Omfg #homophobia
Reply 8

Apparently by shortlisting actors for Oscars purely because they are black is how we stop racial prejudice....

Reply 9
Original post by sleepysnooze
britain is the least, or at least one of the least, racist countries in europe
the most racist countries in the world are india, and jordan, and saudi arabia, etc - not typically western liberal democracies
so before you call britain racist, ask yourself "relative to what?"

America is racist everyone knows that study is flawed

Racial equality by your terms certainly cannot exist. Reparations aren't going to happen. Nobody is going to hop in to their way way back machine to stop the actions of people who died a hundred and fifty years before we were born and we certainly aren't going to treat any race like they are children incapable of growing up and contributing to society.

That leaves a choice: Either attempt to live as best you can without regard to the crimes committed by dead people against other dead people or let the actions of those dead people who did bad things to those other dead people dictate your destiny.

It's up to you.
Original post by al_94
America is racist everyone knows that study is flawed

let's face it: you only think america is racist because it's portrayed that way in the media as a stereotype. why is it okay to stereotype a country when you (assumed) dislike things like racism and generalisations? what evidence do you even have to suggest america is racist? a few bad apples in the south? every country has its racists - you're never going to change that

Right here, you sound like the racist towards whites, and I hate racism towards any group
Reply 13
i don't get why people are offended by the oscar thing
it doesn't matter if you're black, white, asian, if you're not an amazing actor you're not gonna be nominated... and if there were no amazing black actors that year then what are we supposed to do? nominate a **** one just to get some diversity and not nominate another well deserving actor just because he/she ain't black? isn't THAT racist too?

but then again I don't know of any amazing black actors since I haven't watched that many movies :tongue: if there were some very wel-deserving ones they should've been nominated
Reply 14
let's face it: you only think america is racist because it's portrayed that way in the media as a stereotype. why is it okay to stereotype a country when you (assumed) dislike things like racism and generalisations? what evidence do you even have to suggest america is racist? a few bad apples in the south? every country has its racists - you're never going to change that

No I have one study as my evidence

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/08/25/three-quarters-of-whites-dont-have-any-non-white-friends/

this is because there are far more whites than other racial individuals you spanner - of course there are going to be white people with mostly white friends. also, consider this: black people, in a society *full* of white people, have 10% of their friends made up of white people. I'd say that's pretty weird.
Reply 16
this is because there are far more whites than other racial individuals you spanner - of course there are going to be white people with mostly white friends. also, consider this: black people, in a society *full* of white people, have 10% of their friends made up of white people. I'd say that's pretty weird.

This is weak argument you are defending racist white Americans if you look at averages they are choosing to not not be friends with people of colour I don't think you've done your research on the USA what your'e saying is not realistic at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by al_94
This is weak argument you are defending racist white Americans if you look at averages they are choosing to not not be friends with people of colour I don't think you've done your research on the USA what your'e saying is not realistic at all.

no, I'm saying that if you're saying that the number of different race friends is important, then you're shooting yourself in the foot because black people seem to have much less of an excuse to not have white friends (seeing as most people in the US are white) yet the % of their white friends is 10!
(edited 8 years ago)
Tbh I don't care about your problems and I just want to get on with my life. I'll make sure I'm not racist to anyone but beyond that there's nothing I can do. Goodbye

You may consider Britain racist, and Britons will deny that they're racist just as I consider you're post one of the most racist and offensive things I have ever read and you would deny that you're racist. That's the trouble with this problem, no matter who's right or wrong each side will claim that they're right and not racist. All this post is doing is causing a pathetic argument that will lead to no where. A sensible conversation can occur about inequality in Britain but not on this post, due to the extremely biased nature of what you've said. You appear to be a clearly biased person with a chip on your shoulder and as long as you continue to remain bitter and live that way you will be met with resistance due to being completely unreasonable.

As for my solution to inequality: In my opinion, if everyone took a Libertarian view to everything, racism would be extinguished.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending