The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

offer holders for mathematics

I've decided to firm Exeter for sept 2016. Anybody else holding an offer or looking to start at Exeter for mathematics? Genuinely can't wait to start :h:
Reply 1
Original post by Mythological
I've decided to firm Exeter for sept 2016. Anybody else holding an offer or looking to start at Exeter for mathematics? Genuinely can't wait to start :h:

I'll be doing Nat Sci but intend to do a lot of maths :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Aph
I'll be doing Nat Sci but intend to do a lot of maths :smile:

I Had a choice between Bristol and Exeter, both require AAB but Exeter just looks like an amazing place to live albeit maybe not as good as Bristol for mathematics. To be honest I would only pick Oxford or Cambridge over Exeter judging by the open days.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Had a choice between bristol and exeter, with the same grade requirements but the exeter just looks like an amazing place to live albeit maybe not as good as bristol for mathematics

Have you been to either?

What offer do you have?
What maths modules are you taking for alevel?
Reply 5
Exeter is up and coming and I recently heard good things about its Maths Department.
Original post by mayamiami
What offer do you have?
What maths modules are you taking for alevel?

I'm doing FP2 and FP3 this year along with S3 for further maths and I shall be doing C3, C4 and D1 for normal maths. I know I'll probably get A*A or AA for double maths, it's just my third subject, politics, which I'll probably get a B in.
EDIT: Oh and I have an AAB offer you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
Exeter is up and coming and I recently heard good things about its Maths Department.

It's got more of an applied approach to mathematics and I'm more of a pure kinda guy and although they offered that at Bristol, I think I'd be happier at Exeter
Reply 8
It's got more of an applied approach to mathematics and I'm more of a pure kinda guy and although they offered that at Bristol, I think I'd be happier at Exeter

How do you know you are pure?
Original post by TeeEm
How do you know you are pure?

I don't very much like applied modules :colondollar:
Reply 10
I don't very much like applied modules :colondollar:

have you seen pure maths?
Original post by TeeEm
have you seen pure maths?

Love it :P proving equations and finding why things work gives me a buzz
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Love it :P

Not many people have seen pure maths before they go to University, so I will take your word for it.

All the best!
Original post by TeeEm
Not many people have seen pure maths before they go to University, so I will take your word for it.

All the best!

What do you think F(urther)p(ure)2/3 are? Applied modules :biggrin: Also did a bit of number theory on my own, actually wrote about it in my personal statement
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
What do you think Fp2 and Fp3 are? Applied modules :biggrin:

... more applied than pure.
Their correct classification withing the grand scheme of Maths is "methods".
Definitely not a shred of pure maths in them.
Original post by TeeEm
... more applied than pure.
Their correct classification withing the grand scheme of Maths is "methods".
Definitely not a shred of pure maths in them.

shots fired *pew**pew* :biggrin:
Reply 16
shots fired *pew**pew* :biggrin:

I am going to wish well again, wherever you go, and maybe we will revisit this thread after you start University next year

all the best.
Original post by TeeEm

Realise this is an old thread, but wondered whether this still holds true? Considering Exeter for Maths and was wondering if there is really much difference in a Maths degree from Exeter vs Bristol for instance in terms of reputation/career prospects
Original post by TeeEm
It is in my opinion.
I still advise my students to apply thee for maths (I am a quest speaker there on the 19th of January so maybe I have a soft spot for the place...:smile:)

Thankyou! :smile: What's the talk on out of interest?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending