The Student Room Group

how can true racial equality be achieved in racist Britain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sleepysnooze
no, I'm saying that if you're saying that the number of different race friends is important, then you're shooting yourself in the foot because black people seem to have much less of an excuse to not have white friends (seeing as most people in the US are white) yet the % of their white friends is 10!

Blacks have ten times as many black friends as white friends. But white Americans have an astonishing 91 times as many white friends as black friends. Read the article also.
Do people really have a moral obligation to care?
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Racial equality by your terms certainly cannot exist. Reparations aren't going to happen. Nobody is going to hop in to their way way back machine to stop the actions of people who died a hundred and fifty years before we were born and we certainly aren't going to treat any race like they are children incapable of growing up and contributing to society.

That leaves a choice: Either attempt to live as best you can without regard to the crimes committed by dead people against other dead people or let the actions of those dead people who did bad things to those other dead people dictate your destiny.

It's up to you.

The problem is the legacy of post colonial uk where unfortunately POC still feel the effects of being seen as inferior to white people. This is not a historical problem that has largely disappeared. I assume that you think that there isnt a significant problem because it's not in the locus of your individual experience and I'm afraid that's one of the fatal errors: assuming that your voice is more valid that the other person in that particular community living the real experience.

I've been sworn at, my kind sweet mother called a ****** and barged by a massive white brute on the tube, in my home town I feel the need to cover my hair when I visit because people will either comment or stare at me in my natural state. At school people pulled my hair so much it hurt and tore, I was excluded from kiss chase because being black obviously made me disgusting. Feeling the pressure to always keep your cool in the face of injustice just because (white) people will assume you're another "angry, black woman" running her mouth. You just get used to people not believing what you say which can breed alienation and disenfranchment.

The negative conditioning starts from a child and can really erode at your feelings of self-worth if you don't learn very quickly to develop an unshakable centred sense of self.

Think about all the anti-black women threads on and all white glorifying threads from non-white people. It's so cringe-worthy and pathetic, but I understand that the social norms and beauty is set to uplift white people; you have to have straight, long hair and be androgynous bodied or skinny to be beautiful. People will tear you down for glorifying fat people if you don't conform to narrow, eurocentric tastes in women which basically says "Your opinion is wrong. The only right beauty is THIS beauty"

As adults POC for example are sometimes denied the chance to rent properties and landlords are able to enforce their racist criterion by denying them access to their properties giving different reasons - i.e the property has been taken by someone else etc. Same goes for jobs. You think that the law protects against such things and has done away with inequality when people can take advantages of loopholes and still find a way to discriminate.
Original post by driftawaay
Britain is not a racist country.

Not sure if serious.
Original post by Silver Arrow
Not sure if serious.

Yes, I am serious, the UK is not a racist country, racism is seen as unacceptable by the vast majority of the population and discrimination based on race is outlawed. Racists are considered to be idiots by the vast majority.
Yes, I am serious, the UK is not a racist country, racism is seen as unacceptable by the vast majority of the population and discrimination based on race is outlawed. Racists are considered to be idiots by the vast majority.

Why, because it doesn't affect you? Ok I guess i'll just have to take your word for it.

Rape doesn't affect me as a man so therefore it doesn't exist. Rape is seen as unacceptable by the vast majority of the population and it is outlawed. Rapists are considered idiots by the vast majority.
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE

Similarly, meritocracy does not work either because of the way the system is built to disadvantage BMEs. Even if every black person worked in financial services they would still be expected to work in an industry which harms and negatively impacts on the lives of people in developing countries for the benefit of the west.

Meritocracy doesn't work? What sort of world are you living in? Are you actually living in twenty first century Britain, or have you teleported in from some horrific parallel universe?

How can a system that is built on merit, rather than gender, race or class not work? Clearly, it does work.

If you want affirmative action, go to America. I'm sure all the regressives over there will gladly allow you to install a system that will oppress white people because "racism".

Now, would you kindly go back to tumblr or some university course that teaches you that everything is oppressive.
Racism is always going to exist - an unhappy and dangerous part of human nature. However, putting all white people in one box is hardly helping the matter. I'm white and don't feel superior to others because of that - I do understand that it may make my life easier and I have less barriers to overcome however. Tearing down historically held values isn't a good idea, as its learning from past mistakes, injustices and hurts that lead to new ways of thinking and acting. Boiling down to my point: education will always be the most effective way of trying to prevent and solve any type of injustice in the world, including racism. I don't think trying to eradicate it is helpful though - as it will always exist we should think more in terms of mediating it rather than ending it.
Why, because it doesn't affect you? Ok I guess i'll just have to take your word for it.

No, for the reasons I listed. Are you blind?

Rape doesn't affect me as a man so therefore it doesn't exist. Rape is seen as unacceptable by the vast majority of the population and it is outlawed. Rapists are considered idiots by the vast majority.

Men do get raped therefore your point is invalid. And as you said rape is unacceptable and outlawed and highly frowned upon, which is proof that we don't live in a 'rape culture' as some people like to believe. That doesn't mean rape doesn't exist just like I didn't say that racism doesn't exist.

This has to be dumbest post I have seen on TSR in a while rofl think before you speak little child.
No, for the reasons I listed. Are you blind?

Men do get raped therefore your point is invalid. And as you said rape is unacceptable and outlawed and highly frowned upon, which is proof that we don't live in a 'rape culture' as some people like to believe. That doesn't mean rape doesn't exist just like I didn't say that racism doesn't exist.

This has to be dumbest post I have seen on TSR in a while rofl think before you speak little child.

What reasons exactly? All you've said is "Racism is outlawed, racists are seen as idiots" e.t.c. Murder, rape, arson and other crimes are outlawed yet people still commit them.

In the bolded part, your post says that Britain is not a racist country which basic logic would suggest that racism therefore doesn't exist, yet you're now acknowledging that it does exist. So which is it?

Men hardly get raped with the same frequency that women do and it's much more likely for a woman than a man to get raped.

If my post is the dumbest you've ever seen you may wanna look at your original one. And the condescending name calling is really smacks of childish immaturity.
What reasons exactly? All you've said is "Racism is outlawed, racists are seen as idiots" e.t.c. Murder, rape, arson and other crimes are outlawed yet people still commit them.

In the bolded part, your post says that Britain is not a racist country which basic logic would suggest that racism therefore doesn't exist, yet you're now acknowledging that it does exist. So which is it?

Men hardly get raped with the same frequency that women do and it's much more likely for a woman than a man to get raped.

If my post is the dumbest you've ever seen you may wanna look at your original one. And the condescending name calling is really smacks of childish immaturity.

I am just going to assume this is a troll.:facepalm2:
Reply 31
Britain is not a racist country ...
Try Spain
Try Russia
Try Greece
Original post by Eveiebaby

I've been sworn at, my kind sweet mother called a ****** and barged by a massive white brute on the tube, in my home town I feel the need to cover my hair when I visit because people will either comment or stare at me in my natural state. At school people pulled my hair so much it hurt and tore, I was excluded from kiss chase because being black obviously made me disgusting. Feeling the pressure to always keep your cool in the face of injustice just because (white) people will assume you're another "angry, black woman" running her mouth. You just get used to people not believing what you say which can breed alienation and disenfranchment.

The negative conditioning starts from a child and can really erode at your feelings of self-worth if you don't learn very quickly to develop an unshakable centred sense of self.

I'm not entirely convinced that this is a racist thing. Growing up in a small town in Canada, I was sworn at, called a "fag"(Despite not being gay), beaten up, had beer bottles tossed at me from moving cars and excluded because I liked to read and tended to use words that they wouldn't. It certainly wasn't a majority, but the actions did occur.

In many areas, people are simply bad. That's not a question of race - People in many cases can be cruel, spiteful and try their best to tear other people down regardless of said persons nationality or appearance. While I am very sorry for how you were treated growing up, people will attempt to exclude and torment others regardless of their race.

This has been the case since time immemorial. You can either let these people define who and what you are or you can raise yourself up. It's very easy to hate the world because of the actions of the few but it doesn't help either you or change the world.

You deserve better than that. From what you've described and the words you've chosen, it's clear you're intelligent and insightful and you most likely -also- grew up in a small town. Am I right? I suspect that you intimidated them and they attempted to tear you down using race because they knew that was what was most likely to get to you.
I am just going to assume this is a troll.:facepalm2:

Yeah sure I'm a troll. What a weak cop out!
Yeah sure I'm a troll. What a weak cop out!

Yes, it's blatantly obvious you're a troll by your absolutely ridiculous logic.

As the phrase goes: 'Don't feed the troll', hence I shall not be speaking to you on this matter any further and advise others to do the same.
Reply 35
Original post by al_94
Blacks have ten times as many black friends as white friends. But white Americans have an astonishing 91 times as many white friends as black friends. Read the article also.

You can't use raw statistics to prove a point if you look deeper you will find the answers.
Original post by similarBlank
Yes, it's blatantly obvious you're a troll by your absolutely ridiculous logic.

As the phrase goes: 'Don't feed the troll', hence I shall not be speaking to you on this matter any further and advise others to do the same.

Oh look, a white knight appears. You must inform the whole internet that I am a troll at once. Duty calls boyo.
I'm not entirely convinced that this is a racist thing. Growing up in a small town in Canada, I was sworn at, called a "fag"(Despite not being gay), beaten up, had beer bottles tossed at me from moving cars and excluded because I liked to read and tended to use words that they wouldn't. It certainly wasn't a majority, but the actions did occur.

In many areas, people are simply bad. That's not a question of race - People in many cases can be cruel, spiteful and try their best to tear other people down regardless of said persons nationality or appearance. While I am very sorry for how you were treated growing up, people will attempt to exclude and torment others regardless of their race.

This has been the case since time immemorial. You can either let these people define who and what you are or you can raise yourself up. It's very easy to hate the world because of the actions of the few but it doesn't help either you or change the world.

You deserve better than that. From what you've described and the words you've chosen, it's clear you're intelligent and insightful and you most likely -also- grew up in a small town. Am I right? I suspect that you intimidated them and they attempted to tear you down using race because they knew that was what was most likely to get to you.

While I respect your sentiment, if it were just simply the matter of a couple of rogue individuals I would feel differently. To deny that there are racial problems in my suburban town ignores the elephant in the room and absolves those involved of their race based behaviour.

These were racial insults. Specifically racist insults by strangers who knew nothing about my propensity to read (or anything else for that matter) and I was isolated as a result of the colour of my skin.

There's a systemic problem in these types of small towns when it comes to ignorance and bigotry. Im telling you because i lived there for 18 years. Its not for you to believe or disbelieve.

It's not unique to my town or others away from the city. Part of the problem is reluctance to admit that there is a problem and the associated inertia. No progress can be made if people just ignore and deny my accounts.

It's easier said than done to rise above such extensive and engrained disgust for something that is completely outside of your control. When you're the only POC it is much harder to maintain a steely resolve and you have to be in the situation to truly understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
britain is the least, or at least one of the least, racist countries in europe
the most racist countries in the world are india, and jordan, and saudi arabia, etc - not typically western liberal democracies
so before you call britain racist, ask yourself "relative to what?"

i appreciate that Britain is one of the least racist countries. its also better than india's caste system.Nevertheless its history and current problems are still worth tackling
Racial equality by your terms certainly cannot exist. Reparations aren't going to happen. Nobody is going to hop in to their way way back machine to stop the actions of people who died a hundred and fifty years before we were born and we certainly aren't going to treat any race like they are children incapable of growing up and contributing to society.

That leaves a choice: Either attempt to live as best you can without regard to the crimes committed by dead people against other dead people or let the actions of those dead people who did bad things to those other dead people dictate your destiny.

It's up to you.

you merely reiterate my point; accept the past and move on or dont.

the issue is is that the past has established a white supremacist system. so it becomes more of "accept and conform to white people ideologies or fail". Becomes a false choice then.

i said reparations wont change anything, but a true recognition that the past actions of imperialists and their colonials successors was wrong would help a bit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending