The Student Room Group

M1 Vectors Question

I've attached the question I'm struggling with. I've understood everything, except part d.

I know why there's no i component, but I'm having trouble with why they're using the 9-2t=0 part.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1453560182.063260.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by meloj
I've attached the question I'm struggling with. I've understood everything, except part d.

I know why there's no i component, but I'm having trouble with why they're using the 9-2t=0 part.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1453560182.063260.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

If (92t)i+(9+4t)j(9-2t)\boldsymbol{i} + (-9+4t)\boldsymbol{j} has no i\boldsymbol{i} component then (92t)(9-2t) must be equal to 0.
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
If (92t)i+(9+4t)j(9-2t)\boldsymbol{i} + (-9+4t)\boldsymbol{j} has no i\boldsymbol{i} component then (92t)(9-2t) must be equal to 0.

How come the answer from part b ie. the vector AB is used? I'm confused why you couldn't just use the actual position of A.

Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by meloj
How come the answer from part b ie. the vector AB is used? I'm confused why you couldn't just use the actual position of A.

Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Draw two points A and B where A is north of B on a set of axes. The position vector of A is the vector that goes from the origin to A. This vector could be any direction.

But the vector from A to B is the one that must be vertical i.e. have no i\boldsymbol{i} component.

And to work out the vector AB, you subtract the vector OA from the vector OB.

If you're still unsure, please let me know the exact part of this explanantion that doesn't make sense.
Reply 4
Original post by notnek
Draw two points A and B where A is north of B on a set of axes. The position vector of A is the vector that goes from the origin to A. This vector could be any direction.

But the vector from A to B is the one that must be vertical i.e. have no i\boldsymbol{i} component.

And to work out the vector AB, you subtract the vector OA from the vector OB.

If you're still unsure, please let me know the exact part of this explanantion that doesn't make sense.

I think I'm okay with it now. Thank you so much for your help, vectors really are a pain to understand sometimes! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
1453589021284.jpg1453589075663.jpg hey, I have a similar question, please tell me where I went wrong in part (c), the answer is 6.5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
What is wrong with the labels these days?
New trend?
Why does this show as a Y9? A system bug?
Reply 7
Original post by TeeEm
New trend?

Yeah I've noticed that too. Seems like too many to be a coincidence.
Original post by TeeEm
New trend?

Well, can you help me with the above question ?:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by PlayerBB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by notnek
Yeah I've noticed that too. Seems like too many to be a coincidence.

i am a bit busy updating my site at present
@notnek I am sure can help you with this question
all the best (sorry)
Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try substituting t=2 into the position vector and then draw it. Is that north-west?

Then think about how you can correct it.
Original post by notnek
Try substituting t=2 into the position vector and then draw it. Is that north-west?

Then think about how you can correct it.

OH!! Thank you :biggrin: , one last question when they give me a question like this, how can I immediately know if the :smile:/:smile: is negative before trying out and then figuring the right answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
@TeeEm It's okay and thank you anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OH!! Thank you :biggrin: , one last question when they give me a question like this, how can I immediately know if the :smile:/:smile: is negative before trying out and then figuring the right answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nvm I knew it and thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Nvm I knew it and thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanking youself is the first sign of madness.
Original post by notnek
Thanking youself is the first sign of madness.

Lol I meant it for you and don't worry I am not mad, I am just sleepy :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest