The Student Room Group

Russian applicant to UK universities

Hello , my name is German Khinich. I'm from Russia. I'm wondering if i can apply to UK university by completing A-levels by my own and taking ( Further Mathematics, Mathematics, Economics) as a private candidate. And if i will meet the entry requirements ( approximately AAB - A*A*B) and score 7 in IELTS, will i be enrolled in the university? How would my grades from local school matter?I'm interested in doing Mathematics , one of these : Msci , BSc, G103, G100, G1G3.
Yes you can take A levels independently. Is there an exam centre near you? These will usually be British Council offices or international schools; if you have one near you, ask them if they'd allow you to sit A levels as a private candidate. If you meet the entry requirements then you have a good chance of being accepted, although obviously this depends where you apply - some universities are oversubscribed and harder to get into than others. Your school grades are unlikely to matter very much if you complete A levels.
Original post by German1234
Hello , my name is German Khinich. I'm from Russia. I'm wondering if i can apply to UK university by completing A-levels by my own and taking ( Further Mathematics, Mathematics, Economics) as a private candidate. And if i will meet the entry requirements ( approximately AAB - A*A*B) and score 7 in IELTS, will i be enrolled in the university? How would my grades from local school matter?I'm interested in doing Mathematics , one of these : Msci , BSc, G103, G100, G1G3.

Hi,

Meeting the minimum stated entry requirements for a course does not entitle you to enroll for that course in the UK - you would need to apply in the same way as UK students (UCAS). Your domestic qualifications will certainly matter but, for something like maths, if you have strong A level results it is likely that previously sub-par performance can be overlooked, though this depends on where you apply. A levels completed as a private candidate are completely fine, though remember that you will need somebody to provide you with an academic reference.
Original post by ByronicHero
Hi,

Meeting the minimum stated entry requirements for a course does not entitle you to enroll for that course in the UK - you would need to apply in the same way as UK students (UCAS). Your domestic qualifications will certainly matter but, for something like maths, if you have strong A level results it is likely that previously sub-par performance can be overlooked, though this depends on where you apply. A levels completed as a private candidate are completely fine, though remember that you will need somebody to provide you with an academic reference.

Certainly? Not at all. We don't even know what qualifications the OP is referring to. British universities will certainly not care about any school grades beneath the Attestat. And as far as I know the ЕГЭ (the Russian equivalent to A levels) isn't even accepted by most British universities so I think it unlikely they will care about that either.
Reply 4
Original post by German1234

Having A levels would certainly make it easier to get accepted into the university you want. You'll have to take them as a private candidate so you'll need to check the British council in Russia:
Moscow:
VGBILU, Iitsa Nikoloyamskaya 1, Moscow 109189
Tel: 095-782-0200
Fax: 095-782-0201
Web:*www.britishcouncil.org

If you take A levels, they will most likely just ignore your school grades.

The IELTS grade should be high enough for most universities but you will have to check the specific ones. If they require an overall 7, they also usually say no less than 6 in any of the sections so just overall grade might not be enough.

To enrol, you will have to apply like everyone else. UCAS is easiest and all universities accept applications through that, although you missed the deadline for the 2016 entry and you will need a person to support your entry (e.g. one of your teachers). A lot of uni's also allow you to apply directly to them but you will once again need to check with the specific universities.

You also have the choice of doing a foundation or access course if your school grades are pretty high which would mean you won't have to bother with taking A levels.

Do you know how you are going to pay for everything? You will be considered an international student, meaning most, if not all, loans and grants available to UK students won't be available to you.
Hey :smile:

I’m a business and marketing student in Glasgow, and was wondering if I could just ask a quick question for my dissertation:

When choosing to study at a UK University, what factors aremost important in your decision?

Thank you!
Hey, we have similar usernames.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending