The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vae

It's a premature and unwarranted one. This season, Sergi Roberto has produced much better performances as RB than Vidal, yet it didn't spark a discussion regarding Alves. Vidal has shown some promise and offers a slightly different approach to RB, but it's not as if he's been mind-blowingly good to warrant a discussion about a permanent starting spot; at least if the same applies to Sergi. He's still improving his defensive skills and developing in that RB role from being a winger more than anything; he hasn't been properly tested either. His main role for the time being is to provide depth for various positions much like Sergi, such as on the wings, as RB and perhaps even LB.

The condition behind keeping Alves was always to bring in competent competition, because Alves needs that sort of motivation to perform at his best level (cf. last season: the spike in his performance when his renewal was under threat). And at his best level, Alves is irreplacable and the best option because of his unique midfield linkup and contribution to build-up, Messi connection and defensive superiority over most options; some of these qualities get overlooked.

Think the article is sensationalist anyway. That talk about a "Gala 11" and pointing out Alves as the notable exception is ignoring the fact that a lot of the clear starters have been rotated this season, not just Alves. Would also disagree with this being the most or only curious debate for Barcelona's team; there are a few more interesting (and much more warranted) ones. CM roles this season? GK situation? Etc.

Maybe not as a permanent starting spot. I was more thinking because of Enriques rotation policy he'd be rotating the two for the meanwhile, especially since he would probably want to get him to match fitness(so that during business end of the season he is able to rely on his rotation players and so that Alves is fit for the big games). Obviously Alves is currently the better player of the two and is more useful to Barcelona but long term you'd think Vidal would be the main option to go to though. Vidal was most likely racking up game time to get him to match fitness and rest Alves.

I guess the GK situation already has been decided(league bravo cups ter stegen) but surely at some point Ter Stegen will most likely take the no.1 spot(unlikely to be this season though).

I've heard you talk about midfield roles a few times. What exactly do you mean by midfield roles and what about it needs to be changed/has there been any sort of change since the start of Enrique's tenure?
Original post by jam277

I've heard you talk about midfield roles a few times. What exactly do you mean by midfield roles and what about it needs to be changed/has there been any sort of change since the start of Enrique's tenure?

I'd guess it's the two who play in front of Busquets. Who starts? With Iniesta getting older and more and more unable to play every game, Barca have a few options in terms of who can replace him. Arda, Sergi Roberto, Rafinha when he's back, they can all fill that role quite well.

I'd guess that Rakitic is also an almost guaranteed starter for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A shame that Gary Neville has already faced his first white handkerchiefs, during the latest draw with Las Palmas. Big game this weekend, away to Deportivo La Coruña.
I don't think the handkerchiefs were for him tbh, more so for the owner Lim and his team. But Neville has hardly set things alight under his management but feel he could do with some acquisitions.
Barcelona would surely be better off with Nolito, Deleufeu and Tello as their second choices in the attack, rather than Munir and Sandro.
Another draw for Neville and Negredo bags a late header, well taken admittedly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Real were knocking on Celta's door towards the end there, but couldn't fashion a clear cut chance and it ends 1-1 after Benzema's equaliser.
Original post by Aky786UK
Another draw for Neville and Negredo bags a late header, well taken admittedly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice finish from him but they fortunate to get a point. The linesman made lots of mistakes and Depor had a few offside calls wrongly given against them.

Original post by Mackay
Real were knocking on Celta's door towards the end there, but couldn't fashion a clear cut chance and it ends 1-1 after Benzema's equaliser.

They played Real Betis :tongue:

The first goal was a beauty. The swivel and shot was fantastic. Real were fortunate with the equaliser considering James was clearly offside.

Real were much better second half.

There was one former Real youth team play on show yesterday. .. and he played in goal for Betis. Adam had a good game. Zidane needs to drop Danilo immediately.
Original post by Icecream1

They played Real Betis :tongue:

The first goal was a beauty. The swivel and shot was fantastic. Real were fortunate with the equaliser considering James was clearly offside.

Real were much better second half.

There was one former Real youth team play on show yesterday. .. and he played in goal for Betis. Adam had a good game. Zidane needs to drop Danilo immediately.

Slip of the fingers!

An unbelievable strike from Betis to open the scoring. Remarkable.

Benzema - and a couple of others - seemed off-side for the equaliser.
Big upset on the cards in the Cuppa Del Boy tonight, with Atletico requiring 3 goals in the last 20 minutes against Celta
Reply 9110
Original post by jam277

I was referring to the developments exclusively this season. In 2014/15 the tactics tended to be very direct, the creative duty and focal point lying mostly on the front three with the midfield acting more as support, something which, inevitably, resulted in Rakitic thriving and Iniesta struggling. This season, some players have shown significant improvements in areas that allow for a more creative midfield again, & others have joined that tick that box.

Firstly, Neymar has said goodbye to his tendency to slow down the play by holding too long onto the ball; he tends to combine more and opts less for the unnecessary show-off solo. This automatically involves the CM on the left side more and more creatively. As a result, Iniesta has been thriving and become one of the key players again (and similarly, it took Rakitic almost half of the season to find back to his old form).

At the same time, a couple of very technical, creative midfielders are (re-)emerging, e.g. Roberto and Arda. Rafinha too, should he find back to his pre-injury form. And rumours point to a possible return of Denis Suárez. That means the starters are far from being as obvious as was suggested. For example, for several months, you could have argued Rakitic should've been dropped for Roberto, but now, he's beasting it again, so can't really do that.

So essentially, there's suddenly more depth and different options in midfield for different occasions/tactics. If we really want to start (unnecessary) discussions about possible changes in starting positions, then this would be a better one than Vidal/Alves.

Original post by jam277
I guess the GK situation already has been decided(league bravo cups ter stegen) but surely at some point Ter Stegen will most likely take the no.1 spot(unlikely to be this season though).

Yes, but this "decision" is a provisorium that needs addressing. "At some point" is well and good but Ter Stegen is at an age where he possibly can't or doesn't want to afford waiting for that. If we wants to fulfill his (really amazing) potential, then it is, thanks to his age, becoming more and more urgent to get the chance to work on that *now*. IMO he could be one of the best few GKs in the world, but he won't with such sporadic game time and high pressure every game. To improve, he needs the routine of playing week in week out and also the confidence of a small easy clean-sheet-run, something which is impossible in the format of CL and copa. If, going into the next season, he's still not playing the league, he should go, and imo, he will. Otherwise, his development will be stalled and his potential partly wasted.

So do Barça want to keep playing Bravo based on the fact that he's currently the more reliable, experienced and routined option and on his excellent form, and risk losing ter Stegen with the prospect of having to cash in on another young gk in the next few years, someone who will probably not have the same 100% "Barça-style" profile and not the same potential as him? (And potentially also risking Bravo to return to his Sociedad form without the competition.)

But on the other hand, wouldn't it be mental to drop a keeper like Bravo to nurture a young talent for the future?

There's no easy answer on that and you can argue for both positions. IMO this is the most interesting personnel debate wrt Barcelona.

Original post by Mackay
Barcelona would surely be better off with Nolito, Deleufeu and Tello as their second choices in the attack, rather than Munir and Sandro.

What has Tello ever shown to suggest he is good enough and even fits in at Barcelona, and what has he shown since leaving that indicates he's now a better fit and would now do better than back when he was still at the club though? IMO it's safe to say his departure was one of the most logical ones.

Deulofeu is showing good promise, but had he returned to Barcelona in the summer, when he was still deemed as not ready both by Emery and Lucho, there is a very good chance he would not have shown this improvement, just like Munir and Sandro weren't able to (or Munir until recently, he's improved much).
(edited 8 years ago)
Vidal? I'd call him "Aleix" cause the other Vidal who plays for Bayern calls dibs :biggrin:
Original post by Vae

Deulofeu is showing good promise, but had he returned to Barcelona in the summer, when he was still deemed as not ready both by Emery and Lucho, there is a very good chance he would not have shown this improvement, just like Munir and Sandro weren't able to (or Munir until recently, he's improved much).

Deulofeu's an interesting case. Read an interview with him earlier this week - maybe the Echo, or the Guardian - where he hinted he's preferring life on Merseyside and, while he'll stay silent and allow the clubs involved to discuss and decide his future as they see fit, is pretty keen on life at Goodison.
Original post by Vae
I was referring to the developments exclusively this season. In 2014/15 the tactics tended to be very direct, the creative duty and focal point lying mostly on the front three with the midfield acting more as support, something which, inevitably, resulted in Rakitic thriving and Iniesta struggling. This season, some players have shown significant improvements in areas that allow for a more creative midfield again, & others have joined that tick that box.

Firstly, Neymar has said goodbye to his tendency to slow down the play by holding too long onto the ball; he tends to combine more and opts less for the unnecessary show-off solo. This automatically involves the CM on the left side more and more creatively. As a result, Iniesta has been thriving and become one of the key players again (and similarly, it took Rakitic almost half of the season to find back to his old form).

At the same time, a couple of very technical, creative midfielders are (re-)emerging, e.g. Roberto and Arda. Rafinha too, should he find back to his pre-injury form. And rumours point to a possible return of Denis Suárez. That means the starters are far from being as obvious as was suggested. For example, for several months, you could have argued Rakitic should've been dropped for Roberto, but now, he's beasting it again, so can't really do that.

So essentially, there's suddenly more depth and different options in midfield for different occasions/tactics. If we really want to start (unnecessary) discussions about possible changes in starting positions, then this would be a better one than Vidal/Alves.

Yes, but this "decision" is a provisorium that needs addressing. "At some point" is well and good but Ter Stegen is at an age where he possibly can't or doesn't want to afford waiting for that. If we wants to fulfill his (really amazing) potential, then it is, thanks to his age, becoming more and more urgent to get the chance to work on that *now*. IMO he could be one of the best few GKs in the world, but he won't with such sporadic game time and high pressure every game. To improve, he needs the routine of playing week in week out and also the confidence of a small easy clean-sheet-run, something which is impossible in the format of CL and copa. If, going into the next season, he's still not playing the league, he should go, and imo, he will. Otherwise, his development will be stalled and his potential partly wasted.

So do Barça want to keep playing Bravo based on the fact that he's currently the more reliable, experienced and routined option and on his excellent form, and risk losing ter Stegen with the prospect of having to cash in on another young gk in the next few years, someone who will probably not have the same 100% "Barça-style" profile and not the same potential as him? (And potentially also risking Bravo to return to his Sociedad form without the competition.)

But on the other hand, wouldn't it be mental to drop a keeper like Bravo to nurture a young talent for the future?

There's no easy answer on that and you can argue for both positions. IMO this is the most interesting personnel debate wrt Barcelona.

What has Tello ever shown to suggest he is good enough and even fits in at Barcelona, and what has he shown since leaving that indicates he's now a better fit and would now do better than back when he was still at the club though? IMO it's safe to say his departure was one of the most logical ones.

Themidfield position has definitely evolved at Barcaeven Busquets is pushing more forward and having a greater influence further upthe field than just bring the ball out of defence. I want to see how Barcaintegrate Hallilovic(currently on loan at Gjion)and if and when Busquets could take over the "Xavi" role if, Luchowants it to happen. I would play Ardaand Rakiticin the midfield against teams who are stronger on the counter and need to breakthrough the field, with their strength and tenacity. Roberto has been a totalrevelation and can play anywhere including in midfield, his assist in theopener in the classic was just reward for this solid season so far. There are afew other contenders like Gumbaubut he doesn't impress so far but neither did Roberto had at thatstage.

TerStegenis a strange case.
Hisback injury in his first season, ruled him out for a while and gave Bravo thechance to shine and take the spot. He did so well after that that MAtSdidntget a chance to claim the no1 shirt. He was solid in the CDR and CL. He is a “Barca”keeper, the ability to stay focused for the few shots he will have to save in agame, help to start the next attack and have excellent distribution. He didn’tlook to happy at the CWC but I'm sure Luchowill be keeping him on side knowing this guy has an amazing amount ofpotential. He has already showed what a brilliant keeper is, the performance inthe Allianz arena, when Barcawere under pressure. The save from the Lewandowski shot was incredible. Barcawould be crazy to allow him to leave.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Big upset on the cards in the Cuppa Del Boy tonight, with Atletico requiring 3 goals in the last 20 minutes against Celta

Barca, Celta, Sevilla and Valencia make up the final 4. I'm surprised that Atleti didn't make it through but im sure it will help them in the league.

Barca were terrific yesterday, the first half wasn't. Williams goal was a nice finish with the outside of the boot and the midfield pressure from Barca allowed that goal. The Barca goals were nice, the Neymar finish in particular was exquisite.

Neville will be under pressure now that they are in the semi's, they will face a tough game from any of the remaining teams.
Valencia beat Las Palmas and book their place in the final four - where they'll face Barcelona.

Barca, Celta, Sevilla and Valencia make up the final 4. I'm surprised that Atleti didn't make it through but im sure it will help them in the league.

Barca were terrific yesterday, the first half wasn't. Williams goal was a nice finish with the outside of the boot and the midfield pressure from Barca allowed that goal. The Barca goals were nice, the Neymar finish in particular was exquisite.

Neville will be under pressure now that they are in the semi's, they will face a tough game from any of the remaining teams.

I thought Williams took a touch too many for the goal - but he proved me wrong and still managed to convert after rounding the goalkeeper.
Original post by Mackay
Valencia beat Las Palmas and book their place in the final four - where they'll face Barcelona.

I thought Williams took a touch too many for the goal - but he proved me wrong and still managed to convert after rounding the goalkeeper.

I agree with you. If MAtS had dived he probably could have saved it because Williams delayed to strike it with the outside of the boot. The pass from Aduriz was excellent. Barca have had poor first halfs in the past couple of a games and need to be on top form for the visit of Atleti this Saturday. I'm annoyed the game is on at 3pm:frown:

Barca v Valencia will be an interesting tie. The English media will play it up, I'm sure a "Sky yellow banner" will appear at some point. Celta and Sevilla should be great game too. I think the final will be Sevilla v Barca but I want Celta to make it, they have a fantastic season so far.

Barca v Atleti will be a solid game. Atleti are so strong at the back but I think Barca can break them down, like they did in the Calderón. A Barca win would increase the gap on the Madrid sides and they still have a game in hand against Sporting Gjion.

Barca v Valencia will be an interesting tie. The English media will play it up, I'm sure a "Sky yellow banner" will appear at some point. Celta and Sevilla should be great game too. I think the final will be Sevilla v Barca but I want Celta to make it, they have a fantastic season so far.

Suarez vs. Neville.
Can't wait for Atletico/Barca, no idea which way this one will go. Atletico are coming in off the back of two draws and one loss in their last three matches. It will probably be decided by some Messi magic.
Great goal by Koke this will be interesting

Latest