The Student Room Group

I feel really stupid, can anyone help me with these questions???

image.jpgI have spent ages trying to work out how to do this question but I just cannot do it! Can anyone help me to work it out? It is due tomorrow and I'll get majorly shouted at if it isn't handed in!

So scared and worried. Please help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

but i'll bump your thread :biggrin:

EDIT: @jamestg may be able to help :3
Reply 2
a) the midpoint of AB is where D is, so just use the formula [(x1+x2)/2, (y1+y2)/2]
then to find the gradient simply it is the (difference in y/difference in x)
then to find the gradient of PQ you do the negative reciprocal of the gradient you just worked out because PQ is the normal of AB
then use your point D and gradient of PQ to work out the equation using the formula y-y1=m(x-x1)

b) the equation of RS is really simple, E is the midpoint of RS and there is no slope of RS, so you just need to find the middle X coordinate of the RS.
Reply 3
Thanks, but what do I do for c, d and e?

They are the hardest,
Reply 4
c) equate the two equations you've just worked out to get the coordinates of the centre
d) you've got the centre you just need the radius, which you can work out using Pythagoras between the centre and any of the points on the circle
then all you've got to do is sub the centre coordinates in as well as the radius length into the circle equation
Reply 5
Original post by Olmeister
Thanks, but what do I do for c, d and e?

They are the hardest,

Look above, and I can't see what E is :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by z33

but i'll bump your thread :biggrin:

EDIT: @jamestg may be able to help :3

I honestly get really flattered when you tag me to give help :colondollar:
Reply 7
That makes it clearer, but you couldn't actually give me some answers to work towards could you? It's just the answers I have got clearly aren't right. For c I got X to be 0.214 which surely isn't right?
Reply 8
I got a and b right I think, but can you show me c and d? I would love you forever
Reply 9
I'm so dumb
Is this GCSE? Cos I feel like I can do this if I do it using a pen and paper but it doesn't look like GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Is this GCSE? Cos I feel like I can do this if I do it using a pen and paper but it doesn't look like GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's AS Level but maybe you still can
That makes it clearer, but you couldn't actually give me some answers to work towards could you? It's just the answers I have got clearly aren't right. For c I got X to be 0.214 which surely isn't right?

Since RS is a vertical line, the x coordinate of F is the same as the x coordinate of E, which can easily be found by taking the mean of the x values at B and C. You find y by substituting the value of x into the equation for PQ.
Reply 13
Can you show me some workings?
Reply 14
Original post by jamestg
I honestly get really flattered when you tag me to give help :colondollar:

Ahaha awhhh you're just so smart it looks effortless
and you're the smartest person i know :wink:

Spoiler

It's AS Level but maybe you still can

Oh okk ahaha I'd probs get like 1/6 marks ahahaha even if I tried

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z33
Ahaha awhhh you're just so smart it looks effortless
and you're the smartest person i know :wink:

Spoiler

Awww

df7da9b3962560ae66dbfe68ebb9a7be.png

(I won't tell anyone, I swear!!)
Reply 17
Original post by jamestg
Awww

df7da9b3962560ae66dbfe68ebb9a7be.png

(I won't tell anyone, I swear!!)

James can you answer it for me, then I'll know how to do the other questions as I can use your example. Otherwise I might cry
Can you show me some workings?

First 3 parts, doing part d now.

EDIT: TSR is weird. I took a vertical photo but it's been turned horizontal on upload :/
(edited 8 years ago)
James can you answer it for me, then I'll know how to do the other questions as I can use your example. Otherwise I might cry

I don't think I can give you the answer on forums...

Watch a few of these videos to help you out! (the coordinate geometry ones obviously!)

Quick Reply

Latest