The Student Room Group

Do you actually like reading books?

post removed
It's been a long time since I've properly sat down and indulged myself into a good book :ninja:

One day, one day ... :moon:
I like reading, but A levels stops me from doing loads of things I enjoy
Not if it's a book for English. English ruins books.
Yes, but have read my current book in weeks lmao
Yes, I'm an obsessive bibliophile.

And...sorry to sound so old and boring, but it's depressing to see people not reading books. Too many kids get most of their knowledge of current affairs and their understanding of politics/ethics from Facebook posts or Twitter.
Books suck I can't read propelrly.

If it is STEM it is good.
I love reading! :woo: Trying to devote more time each day to it and get back to my old days of obsessive reading. :colondollar:
No, I don't like reading that much any more. I only read non-fiction books in short bursts these days, but I used to be able to sit and read for hours. I think GCSE English kinda ruined reading for me to be honest
I adore reading.

and with all due respect, if you don't actually like reading then why take English literature as an A level? seems a bit silly to me.
Original post by Quantex
Yes, I'm an obsessive bibliophile.

And...sorry to sound so old and boring, but it's depressing to see people not reading books. Too many kids get most of their knowledge of current affairs and their understanding of politics/ethics from Facebook posts or Twitter.

Nothing wrong with using modern technology to improve knowledge of anything, there is masses of information I know that I've seen on twitter or facebook or just online in general, stuff that unless I bought three, at least, newpapers a day, some from abroad let alone in the UK, or bought hundreds more £10-£20 books I wouldn't know.

As it is I love reading, I'm currently going through Tony Benn's diaries, and I have a few other books ready to read once I finish the diaries. I'm learning so much from the books as well, stuff I wouldn't learn online, but there is also a lot I won't read in these books that I could learn online about politics, ethics and current affairs.
Reply 11
Original post by Kay_Winters
Nothing wrong with using modern technology to improve knowledge of anything, there is masses of information I know that I've seen on twitter or facebook or just online in general, stuff that unless I bought three, at least, newpapers a day, some from abroad let alone in the UK, or bought hundreds more £10-£20 books I wouldn't know.

As it is I love reading, I'm currently going through Tony Benn's diaries, and I have a few other books ready to read once I finish the diaries. I'm learning so much from the books as well, stuff I wouldn't learn online, but there is also a lot I won't read in these books that I could learn online about politics, ethics and current affairs.

Alistair Campbell's diaries I recommend too. Still want to read Benn's one but alas, uni reading is always in the way.
Original post by Airmed
Alistair Campbell's diaries I recommend too. Still want to read Benn's one but alas, uni reading is always in the way.

I plan to read, diaries wise at least, Chris Mullin's diaries next, Alistair Campbell's diaries is on my radar however as one I need to read. I also really want to read a tory's diaries, just to get another view on parliament and such
Reply 13
Original post by Kay_Winters
I plan to read, diaries wise at least, Chris Mullin's diaries next, Alistair Campbell's diaries is on my radar however as one I need to read. I also really want to read a tory's diaries, just to get another view on parliament and such

I'd like to read a Tory one too. Campbell's are funny though, they're not boring!

Quick Reply

Latest