The Student Room Group

Partner came out as asexual?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think only finding people you have an emotional connection to sexually attractive can really be deemed a sexuality. It's all a spectrum right? Surely being more sexually attracted to someone you have a bond with is extremely common?
How is "demisexual" a sexuality??? It's a very common occurrence which doesn't need some unique name
Original post by Smack

At this rate almost every sexual preference is going to have its own term.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm trying to start a fight or something here it's not my intention at all I just really don't understand how different orientations having their own names is a bad thing? Isn't it better being able to put a name to how someone feels rather than having to explain it all each time it's mentioned? Like, straight people don't say 'I'm only attracted to people of a different gender' they say I'm straight' so why can't it be the same for other orientations?
Original post by picklescamp
I don't think only finding people you have an emotional connection to sexually attractive can really be deemed a sexuality. It's all a spectrum right? Surely being more sexually attracted to someone you have a bond with is extremely common?

It's not 'more' it's 'only.'
Unless a demisexual is really close with someone they are completely asexual like a normal asexual.
So it's kinda different because although I'm sure some people are more sexually attracted to someone they have a bond with, those people aren't the only people they can be attracted to, they aren't asexual most of the time. Hope that clears it up a bit :smile:
Original post by MezzaTheMez
I'm sorry if I sound like I'm trying to start a fight or something here it's not my intention at all I just really don't understand how different orientations having their own names is a bad thing? Isn't it better being able to put a name to how someone feels rather than having to explain it all each time it's mentioned? Like, straight people don't say 'I'm only attracted to people of a different gender' they say I'm straight' so why can't it be the same for other orientations?

I didn't say that other orientations should not have a term, but that the tumblr trend of almost every sexual preference having its own term is ridiculous. What's the term for someone who likes redheads?
i wouldn't continue a relationship with either

if they were asexual then it would basically be a friendship and if they were any kind of tumblrsexual (including demisexual) then i would think they were a ****ing idiot
Original post by MezzaTheMez
It's not 'more' it's 'only.'
Unless a demisexual is really close with someone they are completely asexual like a normal asexual.
So it's kinda different because although I'm sure some people are more sexually attracted to someone they have a bond with, those people aren't the only people they can be attracted to, they aren't asexual most of the time. Hope that clears it up a bit :smile:

meh I see your point I just dont really buy into the whole labelling every little variable in sexuality which is highly changeable as it is. But you do you, believe what you want, you're not hurting anyone :smile:
Original post by Smack
I didn't say that other orientations should not have a term, but that the tumblr trend of almost every sexual preference having its own term is ridiculous. What's the term for someone who likes redheads?

That is a preference because they can like other types of person but demi is an orientation because they can't.
I know I'm never going to convince you of that though so don't worry I won't try too much, as long as you don't try to tell me it's not a thing when I know it is :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending