The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

First-year student will answer all your questions!

Hey, guys!

I'm a first-year Creative and Media Writing student. I'm from Italy originally, but for this year I'm staying in Bateson Hall. For one of my units I'm running a blog about the city and the university. You can find it here.

I'd love to have some input from you people in terms of subjects you'd like to be covered in the blog! I've explored Portsmouth quite a lot, I keep an eye on the news, and I go to uni (duh), meaning I've got some pretty good hands-on experience of what it's like. If you have any questions regarding my course, the university in general, Bateson Hall, the city (shops, food, entertainment, etc.), please post it below!

I'll do my best to answer exhaustively in one of these two ways: if your questions is quite straightforward, I'll just post my reply here; if it allows room for long descriptions (e.g. "where's the best place to go food shopping?"), then I'll write the reply on my blog.

It'd be awesome if you wanted to follow the blog and comment, but that's up to you! I'm here to help you as best as I can, while at the same time looking for some inspiration for my next posts!

Thank you for reading, now do your worst and bombard me. :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello!

Today I've published a post regarding my experience in Bateson Hall. Take a look if you're curious!
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Here's the latest post. It's about my own experience as a non-binary individual. I also mention the LGBTQ+ society (which is great, by the way) and will go more into detail about it in one of the following posts.

Next week (or this Sunday, if I manage), I will post something about what are the best tools you need when you live on your own!

If you want to get involved (you've got a question, topic, anything at all), please, get in touch!
Reply 3
Hi! Thanks for doing this, i have currently just applied for digital marketing in Portsmouth, however don't really know much about the university and Portsmouth itself. how are you enjoying it personally ? What are the people like? Is the actual university itself nice? Also, as much of a funny question as it might be, as a foreign student do you find their local accent easy to understand? I can be kinda bad at understanding strong accents and one of the things that worries me is perhaps I won't be able to understand what people are saying to me lol. What are the facilities like? And most importantly, how do you find the general atmosphere of the city ? I'm from Northern Ireland, and the weather we have here is absolutely rubbish, I have been looking at the average temperatures in Portsmouth during the year and they definitely looks a bit better. How would you rate it personally? Is it more gloomy-rainy or is the weather fairly dry? Also, what would you say the city is like from a creative point of view, is there any events or places that are a bit more original/artistic and interesting or is it just the regular line of plain pubs and clubs? Thanks you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lunablush
Hi! Thanks for doing this, i have currently just applied for digital marketing in Portsmouth, however don't really know much about the university and Portsmouth itself. how are you enjoying it personally ? What are the people like? Is the actual university itself nice? Also, as much of a funny question as it might be, as a foreign student do you find their local accent easy to understand? I can be kinda bad at understanding strong accents and one of the things that worries me is perhaps I won't be able to understand what people are saying to me lol. What are the facilities like? And most importantly, how do you find the general atmosphere of the city ? I'm from Northern Ireland, and the weather we have here is absolutely rubbish, I have been looking at the average temperatures in Portsmouth during the year and they definitely looks a bit better. How would you rate it personally? Is it more gloomy-rainy or is the weather fairly dry? Also, what would you say the city is like from a creative point of view, is there any events or places that are a bit more original/artistic and interesting or is it just the regular line of plain pubs and clubs? Thanks you :smile:

No need to thank me, dear! On the contrary, thank you for all the material your questions provide!

Please, be patient until Sunday or Monday, so I can prepare a Q&A post with detailed answers! I will post the link as soon as it's ready; I hope it will help you with your final choice. :smile:
Reply 5
Not a problem :smile: thanks for dedicating your time to do this !
Hi i need help
I have applied for Journalism at Portsmouth

I have been told to come in for an interview (asked to make a portfolio) and to participate in a workshop for Journalism
Reply 7
Original post by 6thformer25
Hi i need help
I have applied for Journalism at Portsmouth

I have been told to come in for an interview (asked to make a portfolio) and to participate in a workshop for Journalism

Okay, what do you need help with, exactly?
Original post by MrEvilside
Okay, what do you need help with, exactly?

I just want to know what happens at the workshops and how the interviews go (quite nervous) and what i can include in my portfolio
Reply 9
I just want to know what happens at the workshops and how the interviews go (quite nervous) and what i can include in my portfolio

I'm sorry, but I was offered a conditional place without an interview. Provided I got the right grade, I was already in, so I wouldn't know what happens during an interview.

As for your portfolio, for Journalism I'd suggest any article you might have written; if you don't have any, bring along something similar, like blog posts, reviews, etc.

Don't stress too much, though, they are really friendly! Remember: they want students to be accepted, the university thrives on its students and none of the lecturers hates you. Good luck!
I'm sorry, but I was offered a conditional place without an interview. Provided I got the right grade, I was already in, so I wouldn't know what happens during an interview.

As for your portfolio, for Journalism I'd suggest any article you might have written; if you don't have any, bring along something similar, like blog posts, reviews, etc.

Don't stress too much, though, they are really friendly! Remember: they want students to be accepted, the university thrives on its students and none of the lecturers hates you. Good luck!

Cheers!
Reply 11
Here is the first part of the Q&A for Lunablush! I'm sorry to split the post into two, but it came out really long! I hope it helps. :smile:
Here is the first part of the Q&A for Lunablush! I'm sorry to split the post into two, but it came out really long! I hope it helps. :smile:

thanks so much! the answers are more in depth than expected, cant wait for the second part of it

Are there any more of these?
And a question i want to ask you is how are you finding your accomodation?
Which one is the best and is the catered food any good?
Reply 14
Original post by Lunablush
thanks so much! the answers are more in depth than expected, cant wait for the second part of it

No problem at all, I'm really glad to hear it's helpful! I always go much more in depth than expected, I talk too much. XD

Are there any more of these?
And a question i want to ask you is how are you finding your accomodation?
Which one is the best and is the catered food any good?

Here is a detailed description of my accommodation. I will probably write one more post about it, maybe next week (this week is already "booked" wait until Thursday for the second part of the Q&A!).

I don't know which hall is the best (I can only judge mine) and I'm in a self-catered hall, but a friend of mine is staying in a part-catered hall. He said the food is good, but you have to be on time for each meal or else you'll get no food; you aren't allowed to cook big meals because you only have a kitchenette and sometimes he finds it quite annoying to go back to his hall (it's fifteen minutes away from the city centre) when he has lectures and society meetings in town. In fact, he often buys food in town. Personally, I wouldn't apply for catered/part-catered, according to what I've heard from him.
No problem at all, I'm really glad to hear it's helpful! I always go much more in depth than expected, I talk too much. XD

Here is a detailed description of my accommodation. I will probably write one more post about it, maybe next week (this week is already "booked" wait until Thursday for the second part of the Q&A!).

I don't know which hall is the best (I can only judge mine) and I'm in a self-catered hall, but a friend of mine is staying in a part-catered hall. He said the food is good, but you have to be on time for each meal or else you'll get no food; you aren't allowed to cook big meals because you only have a kitchenette and sometimes he finds it quite annoying to go back to his hall (it's fifteen minutes away from the city centre) when he has lectures and society meetings in town. In fact, he often buys food in town. Personally, I wouldn't apply for catered/part-catered, according to what I've heard from him.

Just realised the blogs are yours xD
thanks again
Hey, guys!

I'm a first-year Creative and Media Writing student. I'm from Italy originally, but for this year I'm staying in Bateson Hall. For one of my units I'm running a blog about the city and the university. You can find it here.

I'd love to have some input from you people in terms of subjects you'd like to be covered in the blog! I've explored Portsmouth quite a lot, I keep an eye on the news, and I go to uni (duh), meaning I've got some pretty good hands-on experience of what it's like. If you have any questions regarding my course, the university in general, Bateson Hall, the city (shops, food, entertainment, etc.), please post it below!

I'll do my best to answer exhaustively in one of these two ways: if your questions is quite straightforward, I'll just post my reply here; if it allows room for long descriptions (e.g. "where's the best place to go food shopping?":wink:, then I'll write the reply on my blog.

It'd be awesome if you wanted to follow the blog and comment, but that's up to you! I'm here to help you as best as I can, while at the same time looking for some inspiration for my next posts!

Thank you for reading, now do your worst and bombard me. :wink:

How much work do you normally have to do?
Reply 17
Original post by BlossomSerena
How much work do you normally have to do?

Even if it's one single question, it requires again a long answer. I will write a post about my course in particular and make sure I post it by Sunday. Are you looking for information regarding Creative and Media Writing in particular, or uni coursework in general?
Even if it's one single question, it requires again a long answer. I will write a post about my course in particular and make sure I post it by Sunday. Are you looking for information regarding Creative and Media Writing in particular, or uni coursework in general?

Uni coursework in general. Thanks.
Reply 19
Original post by BlossomSerena
Uni coursework in general. Thanks.

In that case, it depends on the course. Mine is quite anomalous in that respect: I have tons of writing and research to do, but not much in terms of actual studying as is done in high school. However, my flatmates, who do "normal" courses, go to lectures, take notes, and study those plus the books on their reading lists.

In general, you're very busy (and very panicking) right before an exam, while things are more relaxed afterwards (until the next one, at least). You also get some group work to do and it might be assessed, so don't take it lightly.

However, a lot depends on the course you choose. I know someone doing Pharmacy and they have loads of lectures to attend, plus studying, while I've also met a Psychology student that goes out with friends, has fun, and still finds time to get their own work done. Again, it's all about the course, basically, so I'm sorry if this is really unspecific and vague.

Quick Reply

Latest