The Student Room Group

Urgent help C4 trig addition formulae & integration

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SeanFM
Great :borat:

So yes, you can take the half outside of the integral and that leaves you with (1/sin(...)). What's the integral of that? :h:

ln(sin(theta-(pi/3)))? Not really sure..
Reply 21
Original post by jordanwu

No, what does cosec x integrate to? You have a formula booklet. Use it.

Not quite. You may be able to use something from your formula book or things that you know.

How can you rewrite 1/sin(x) where x is theta-(pi/3) as something that you know the integral of?
Reply 23
Original post by SeanFM
Not quite. You may be able to use something from your formula book or things that you know.

How can you rewrite 1/sin(x) where x is theta-(pi/3) as something that you know the integral of?

image.jpg This?
image.jpg This?

Almost there, but the integral of cosecx is ln|cosecx + cotx|.
Reply 25
Original post by SeanFM
Almost there, but the integral of cosecx is ln|cosecx + cotx|.

From this http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/FORMULAE.PDF it says that it's -ln|cosecx + cotx|?
From this http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/FORMULAE.PDF it says that it's -ln|cosecx + cotx|?

Oops, forgot the -, sorry! (it was next to an equals sign where I was looking it up :s-smilie:)
Reply 27
Original post by SeanFM
Oops, forgot the -, sorry! (it was next to an equals sign where I was looking it up :s-smilie:)

From the Aqa formula book it also says that the -ln|cosecx + cotx| = ln|tan(1/2x)|?
From the Aqa formula book it also says that the -ln|cosecx + cotx| = ln|tan(1/2x)|?

Oh, sorry, then you are right! I've never seen that equality before :tongue:
Reply 29
Original post by SeanFM

Lol really? XD But you're studying maths at uni right?
Reply 30
Original post by SeanFM

cscx+cotx=1sinx+cosxsinx=1+cosxsinx=1+2cos2x/212cosx/2sinx/2=cosx/2sinx/2\displaystyle \csc x + \cot x = \frac{1}{\sin x} + \frac{\cos x}{\sin x} = \frac{1+ \cos x}{\sin x} = \frac{1 + 2 \cos^2 x/2 - 1}{2 \cos x/2 \sin x/2} = \frac{\cos x/2}{\sin x/2}

It's one of those weird things nobody uses or notices. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Lol really? XD But you're studying maths at uni right?

Yes :colondollar: but there isn't a huge focus on manipulating trig. The stuff you see at A-level form small parts of the course.
Original post by Zacken
cscx+cotx=1sinx+cosxsinx=1+cosxsinx=1+2cos2x/212cosx/2sinx/2=cosx/2sinx/2\displaystyle \csc x + \cot x = \frac{1}{\sin x} + \frac{\cos x}{\sin x} = \frac{1+ \cos x}{\sin x} = \frac{1 + 2 \cos^2 x/2 - 1}{2 \cos x/2 \sin x/2} = \frac{\cos x/2}{\sin x/2}

It's one of those weird things nobody uses or notices. :tongue:

I see, thanks :tongue:

Latex can be funny in that things disappear.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by SeanFM

Latex can be funny in that things disappear.

It's one of those weird quirks of latex, it doesn't have \cosec x, just \csc x. Thanks for reminding me!
Original post by Zacken
It's one of those weird quirks of latex, it doesn't have \cosec x, just \csc x. Thanks for reminding me!

Thanks for editing my post too :wink:
Reply 35
Original post by SeanFM

See your VM's, I'm so sorry!
Reply 36
Original post by SeanFM

So I've ended up with this: image.jpg, please could you check through it and tell me whether I've made any mistakes? Thanks!
So I've ended up with this: image.jpg, please could you check through it and tell me whether I've made any mistakes? Thanks!

Your values of tan(pi/3) and tan(pi/6) aren't quite right :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest