The Student Room Group

How to be independent girl at 17

Without moving out of parents house
I'd say you aren't fully independent until you are able to live in your own place. But if you're able to do everything else (such as cook, wash your clothes, travel anywhere you like) that would be close enough.
Getting a job would be a good start
Reply 3
Original post by goldenshades
Getting a job would be a good start

I'm trying, but it's hard

Original post by shawn_o1
I'd say you aren't fully independent until you are able to live in your own place. But if you're able to do everything else (such as cook, wash your clothes, travel anywhere you like) that would be close enough.

Oh ok
Paying for yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Anonbabes
Without moving out of parents house

Definitely try and get some part-time work, or full-time if you're no longer in education.

Use sites like Indeed to find job vacancies, or simply hand in your CV to employers that you would like to work for. :smile:
Reply 6
Embracing feminism :smile:
Reply 7
Anyone
Reply 8
Job and car, my friend.
Reply 9
Original post by Smonnie
Job and car, my friend.

Two things I don't have
Reply 10
I pay a small amount of rent, my parents don't pay my college transport (£400 yearly), they don't buy me clothes, shoes, make up etc, I had to pay to redecorate my room, and I pay my own phone bill, although it's in my mums name.... it's basically just about paying for more yourself I guess, and to stop relying on your parents for everything. e.g I paid for my own driving lessons and test :-)
Reply 11
Original post by Goaded
I pay a small amount of rent, my parents don't pay my college transport (£400 yearly), they don't buy me clothes, shoes, make up etc, I had to pay to redecorate my room, and I pay my own phone bill, although it's in my mums name.... it's basically just about paying for more yourself I guess, and to stop relying on your parents for everything. e.g I paid for my own driving lessons and test :-)

I've not got a job tho
Reply 12
I've not got a job tho

find one. it's not difficult if you're determined.
Independence is also about self-reliance in ways other than financial means.
Two things I don't have

That's the answer, though.

Get a job, and then you'll be able to afford the car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending