The Student Room Group

a level advice urgent

I am currently finishing of my Igcse exams and i am considering to take the a levels exam on may/june i want to study bio chem and sociology.If i am home schooled and revise a maximum of 8 to 10 hours a day would i be able to achieve a high grade

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No
Reply 2
Original post by Rftra
No

why not
Not a hope unfortunately... not trying to insult your intelligence but there's a reason they take 1/2 years. I do bio and sociology and I'm predicted an A in both, and I'm struggling as it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by nextmessi
why not

Because your the next messi
Reply 5
Original post by potentiallyme
Not a hope unfortunately... not trying to insult your intelligence but there's a reason they take 1/2 years. I do bio and sociology and I'm predicted an A in both, and I'm struggling as it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah well am taking 10 hours a revision a day and that is almost equivalent to the hour which students take in sixth form a year and am going to work hard and not talking about a2 am talking about AS
Reply 6
It doesn't matter how long you revise for. What matters is the quality of your revision. Revising for 10 minutes and clarifying something that you have been confused about for ages is way better than revising for 8 hours and not gaining anything at all.
Reply 7
Original post by nisr123
it doesn't matter how long you revise for. What matters is the quality of your revision. Revising for 10 minutes and clarifying something that you have been confused about for ages is way better than revising for 8 hours and not gaining anything at all.

how about 10 hours of quality and high standard revision
Bio chem and sociology?

Maybe one of them. But not all three, no way.

I'd suggest finish your GCSEs, have a break over the Summer, then start doing the AS work from September, saving yourself a year and not getting as good grades really isn't worth it and won't make a difference.
Considering how much I know there is in biology and chemistry alone there's no way you could do that and get A*s. Also how do you do practicals and coursework if you're homeschooled?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by mezzathemez
considering how much i know there is in biology and chemistry alone there's no way you could do that and get a*s. Also how do you do practicals and coursework if you're homeschooled?

posted from tsr mobile

its linear new specification there is no practicals
Don't be ridiculous, you'll burn yourself out if you even try to get close to 10 hours a day, and then you won't be able to do anything for like months.

Not possible, don't be silly.
A levels is just as much about learning material as learning how you learn. I know in hindsight the best way to approach material, and you could learn a heckuva lot of it, but still nowhere near enough to be exam-ready.

When you go to A-levels, it's like your mind develops to up its game, but that's not instantaneous. Like I remember so many people finding the basic n = m/M equation very hard at GCSE, but that's child's play at A-level, becaus eit forces you to think more clearly.
Original post by XcitingStuart
I remember so many people finding the basic n = m/M equation very hard at GCSE, but that's child's play at A-level.

That's exactly what happened to my class last term, in summer we were like WHAT IS THIS and then within 2 lessons of A-Level we were laughing at how hard we'd found it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MezzaTheMez
That's exactly what happened to my class last term, in summer we were like WHAT IS THIS and then within 2 lessons of A-Level we were laughing at how hard we'd found it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:laugh:

It's funny when looking back at it.

I could probably do all my GCSEs in like a few weeks getting A*s with the changes in mind. (Okay maybe a small while longer than a few weeks.)
Reply 15
Original post by XcitingStuart
Don't be ridiculous, you'll burn yourself out if you even try to get close to 10 hours a day, and then you won't be able to do anything for like months.

Not possible, don't be silly.

a LEVELS ARE HARD SO THERE IS NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE BUT TO REVISE a 10 hour period dont worry ill cope
its linear new specification there is no practicals

Well that just proves how unprepared you are - ALL students on the new science A Levels will complete 12 practicals over 2 years and document them in a lab book. This will lead to either a pass or fail alongside your final grade.
a LEVELS ARE HARD SO THERE IS NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE BUT TO REVISE a 10 hour period dont worry ill cope

Don't be stupid and ridiculous; there's honestly no need and no point.

And you'll honestly just burn yourself out.

And no, you definitely don't need to do that much to get top grades. Trust me.

You're being irrational.
Revision = going over the stuff you have learned. When is the learning of this stuff for the first time going to take place?
I am currently finishing of my Igcse exams and i am considering to take the a levels exam on may/june i want to study bio chem and sociology.If i am home schooled and revise a maximum of 8 to 10 hours a day would i be able to achieve a high grade

Don't start A-levels until you have finished your GCSE's.

Quick Reply

Latest