The Student Room Group

Medicine hmmm

Hi! I'm new to the student room, but have loads of questions!
So I'm really considering medicine as my future career. I'm just slightly worried as I didn't do amazingly during my GCSEs (1A*, 8As, 1B). So I basically need help deciding whether to carry on with my plan- or to change it.. Any advice would be really appreciated!
Thanks!
If medicine is what you really want to do then keep trying! GCSEs aren't nearly as important as A-Levels so work hard and keep going! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by MezzaTheMez
If medicine is what you really want to do then keep trying! GCSEs aren't nearly as important as A-Levels so work hard and keep going! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Are you an aspiring medic?
Original post by msJena
Hi! I'm new to the student room, but have loads of questions!
So I'm really considering medicine as my future career. I'm just slightly worried as I didn't do amazingly during my GCSEs (1A*, 8As, 1B). So I basically need help deciding whether to carry on with my plan- or to change it.. Any advice would be really appreciated!
Thanks!

That's absolutely fine.

I got 2 A*s, 5 As, 1 B and 1 C and am now in 2nd year.

To get into Medicine, you apply to your strengths.

I.e. Don't apply somewhere requiring 8 A*s at GCSE. For example, places requiring really high GCSEs will have lower UKCAT requirements, and vice-versa, so you just apply to where your profile fits in. A-Levels are far far more important, make sure get those 3 As! (I was on waiting list for Barts, but because so many people didn't get their grades, I got in!)
Reply 4
Original post by Matthew150
That's absolutely fine.

I got 2 A*s, 5 As, 1 B and 1 C and am now in 2nd year.

To get into Medicine, you apply to your strengths.

I.e. Don't apply somewhere requiring 8 A*s at GCSE. For example, places requiring really high GCSEs will have lower UKCAT requirements, and vice-versa, so you just apply to where your profile fits in. A-Levels are far far more important, make sure get those 3 As! (I was on waiting list for Barts, but because so many people didn't get their grades, I got in!)

Thanks! Well don't for your results! What did you get for A-levels? I'm really keen on imperial, what do you think?
Original post by msJena
Thanks! Well don't for your results! What did you get for A-levels? I'm really keen on imperial, what do you think?

Bio, Chem and Geography: A
Computing: C
AS-Maths: A

Ahh, issue is with Imperial is it's BMAT, which is fine but you don't get your BMAT result until after application deadline, meaning if you did appallingly, you've wasted a choice.

No idea on their GCSE policy, a long time since I looked at them all.

I can't recommend Barts enough though! (4th/5th best in the UK and no BMAT).
Reply 6
Original post by Matthew150
Bio, Chem and Geography: A
Computing: C
AS-Maths: A

Ahh, issue is with Imperial is it's BMAT, which is fine but you don't get your BMAT result until after application deadline, meaning if you did appallingly, you've wasted a choice.

No idea on their GCSE policy, a long time since I looked at them all.

I can't recommend Barts enough though! (4th/5th best in the UK and no BMAT).

Wow! Those are great results! The thing is, I really want to go to a uni in London and I really like the area of Imperial and the uni in general, I'm also looking at Queen Mary's and Manchester.
If you don't mind me asking: how come you dropped maths? do you have any tips for chemistry? what sort of work experience/ volunteer work did you do?
Thanks for all the help!
Original post by msJena
Thanks! Are you an aspiring medic?

Yup :smile: Hoping to go to Bristol one day, but I'm only Yr 11, barely started a-level so that's still a while away. Also need to work on the passing out during dissections thing first XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by msJena
Wow! Those are great results! The thing is, I really want to go to a uni in London and I really like the area of Imperial and the uni in general, I'm also looking at Queen Mary's and Manchester.
If you don't mind me asking: how come you dropped maths? do you have any tips for chemistry? what sort of work experience/ volunteer work did you do?
Thanks for all the help!

Barts is in London... It's Queen Mary's, University Of London officially.

Yeah, the area of Imperial is really nice, but think how expensive accommodation is. Whereas Whitechapel is less nice, but a lot lot cheaper!
I knew I would be less likely to get an A in Maths than Geography.
Lots of past paper questions.
1 week in hospital, then a bunch of youth projects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending