Scroll to see replies

Original post by Das Ich Man
Why be happy? It is a con

Human emotion is a con.

Well then.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Human emotion is a con.

Well then.

Think I remember reading that we are wired to be unhappy, after a certain amount of pleasure it wares off. Happily ever after is a con, there is only temporary pleasure and painn
... FFS, how many dupe accounts are you planning to make?

Not that I don't agree with what you are saying.
The fact that life is pointless is a good thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Free will would surely be irrational even if there were a God, no? There's no reason why an all powerful being wouldn't directly control every human's actions. That would therefore make good and evil also totally irrelevant, and therefore the only thing it bothers to explain is the consistency of the universe's laws.

No. A supernatural being may be able to create other beings who have some ability to make decisions independent of the environment/the creator, perhaps therefore allowing for accountability. Of course, not all Christians agree we have free will, and there is disagreement about how much influence a sovereign God has on his creation's decisions. Like for example, do people have the ability to initiate some sort of movement towards accepting Jesus, or must God do all the work (some people call this concept total depravity)?

Oooh a cosmological argument. Lovely. Also heavily criticised. For a start there's the fallacy of composition, where it's suggested that if you explain the cause of everything that makes up the universe that in turn would explain the universe. If you were to take a house and ask what caused the house to come into existence, you'd explain how the walls were built and how the place was furnished and roofed and so on, and that in turn would be sufficient.

That's not a fallacy, or at least, what you describe isn't a fallacy. I only described what must have caused the universe to begin. I did not attempt to explain how that being did it. The naturalist will attempt to describe the process through which the universe happened and then assert that nothing personal caused it to happen. I'm showing how that's logically impossible.

Ignoring that point, I can't find a particular reason for the cause to be "personal" as such. The big bang theory would suggest that the universe was finite without the need for anything to make any form of "decision". Also why does the first cause have to be uncaused exactly? You need to provide some form of reasoning as to why we can't have an infinite regression of causes.

Furthermore, an uncaused first cause does not necessarily lead to God. Bit of a jump, no? No human has ever experienced the supernatural in such a way, we can't claim to know anything about the nature of such things. There's no reason why it can't be a collective of causes causing the one event of the universe beginning ie multiple beings. That would make it plausible that none of these things are all powerful and all knowing, and instead are only capable of creating the universe if they work together. As God effectively = All powerful, all knowing being, if none of these causes have those properties then no God but universe still explained, no?

In the end, you're "certainty" is as much about faith as you claim everybody else's theories are, to wave your belief as if it's near fact is just... nah fam.

Oh ok, so you're asking me why there must be a non-caused first cause. That's because of the impossibility of an infinite regression of causes. That's worth reading about. A useful illustration would be a chain of falling dominoes. There must be a beginning domino that starts the chain off. If you keep going backwards along the chain, you won't find that it goes to infinity, that's logically impossible. It needed a first domino. I mean, at the very least, you must admit that you require faith to believe in an infinite regression of causes. Nobody has ever observed or found evidence for it.

I can also expand on my point about that first cause needing to be personal. By personal, I mean that it needs to be able to make a decision or have a purpose for a particular action. Without a decision maker with a reasoning mind, there's no reason for the universe to begin.

I indeed have faith. But you will claim that you don't. You will claim that you have at least some logically sound views that are absolute truth. I would claim that without the foundation of a revelation from God, you cannot rationally make that claim (about any of your ideas).
Reply 64
Original post by Quantex
Sunday's cheerful and motivational Thought for the Day was brought to you by victoriousvince. Next on Radio 4 ....

What you're doing is saying 'that's depressing, so don't think about it.' But it's the reality you believe in! Why not wake up and smell the coffee? Why not see the implications of what you believe in?
Reply 65
Original post by loveleest
... FFS, how many dupe accounts are you planning to make?

Not that I don't agree with what you are saying.
The fact that life is pointless is a good thing.

Right... so if I killed your mother, you would be comforted because her 'life is pointless.' I bet you don't act like that's true.
Original post by Pride
Right... so if I killed your mother, you would be comforted because her 'life is pointless.' I bet you don't act like that's true.

No, I wouldn't be comforted if any one died. Maybe its because I'm not some sick **** to be comforted if someone killed my Mother. Just because I think life is generally pointless does not mean I am some heartless ****.
Really? Phew! That's a weight off my mind
this is my chat up line if she has a boyfriend with her. mayaswell just have sex now infront of your boyfriend if we feel like it, what does it matter?
is op trying to organise orgy?
Death is inevitable but we have to make the best of our existence :yep:

Besides...

Spoiler

Original post by Indeterminate

Besides...

Spoiler

lol like a little kid dying of illness or some aborted baby.
Original post by AlifunArnab
This is true. You live a few years and die. However, what you do in this life will determine what happens to you once you die. Either paradise or the hellfire.

:smile:

But there is no such thing as paradise, hell or god in my opinion.
Original post by Pride
No. A supernatural being may be able to create other beings who have some ability to make decisions independent of the environment/the creator, perhaps therefore allowing for accountability. Of course, not all Christians agree we have free will, and there is disagreement about how much influence a sovereign God has on his creation's decisions. Like for example, do people have the ability to initiate some sort of movement towards accepting Jesus, or must God do all the work (some people call this concept total depravity)?

I wouldn't say an all powerful all knowing being would have any need for accountability, given that they're already, ya know, all knowing and all powerful...
Original post by Pride

Oh ok, so you're asking me why there must be a non-caused first cause. That's because of the impossibility of an infinite regression of causes. That's worth reading about. A useful illustration would be a chain of falling dominoes. There must be a beginning domino that starts the chain off. If you keep going backwards along the chain, you won't find that it goes to infinity, that's logically impossible. It needed a first domino. I mean, at the very least, you must admit that you require faith to believe in an infinite regression of causes. Nobody has ever observed or found evidence for it.

In denying the possibility of an infinite regression of causes you'd then be accepting something that doesn't have a cause, and thus has existed for an infinite amount of time, which again would be something that nobody has ever observed or found evidence for. Most observable things in the universe we can see as having some form of cause.

I can also expand on my point about that first cause needing to be personal. By personal, I mean that it needs to be able to make a decision or have a purpose for a particular action. Without a decision maker with a reasoning mind, there's no reason for the universe to begin.

Assuming it needs a reason. The wind has no reasoning mind, it does not make decisions, but it can blow a tree over without making any form of concious decision to do it.

Original post by Pride
I indeed have faith. But you will claim that you don't. You will claim that you have at least some logically sound views that are absolute truth. I would claim that without the foundation of a revelation from God, you cannot rationally make that claim (about any of your ideas).

Dat assumption tho. But nah, I'm more somebody that thinks that nobody has any sort of "certain" view of how the universe was created, God or no God. I don't put my faith in any particular theory either, it's just a fun thing to argue about now and again. I don't have faith 'cause I'm not certain about anything I ever argue on this sort of topic, I reach no conclusions.

You never addressed my multiple causes point really, any chance you've got a response to that one or have I founded another possible explanation for the cause of the universe without God whilst sat in my boxers?
Reply 73
Original post by victoriousvince
Nothing you do in life really matters, Because it will not last.
You will die eventually and it will be as if you have never lived in the first place.
No matter what you will achieve - billions of dollars, beautiful girls - you will die and it will all be lost.
Think about Steve Jobs.
Did all his fortune helped him?
No, he died like everyone else.
Think about the most beautiful English blonde.
Let's say she will be your girlfriend or wife.
In 40 years she will be ugly and old,,.

beautiful english blonde...wtf
This is true. You live a few years and die. However, what you do in this life will determine what happens to you once you die. Either paradise or the hellfire.

:smile:

That's just your belief and certainly not mine.
Indeed, nothing in life does matter, that is to say that nothing has any inherent meaning. This means I can give it any meaning I choose.
Original post by victoriousvince
Even the most beautiful English blonde will look ugly and old in a few decades...

Lmao you and beautiful English blondes :rofl:
Does not believing in something make it untrue?

Similarly, believing in something doesn't necessarily make it true, and especially the concept of paradise and hellfire for which there is zero evidence.
Back in the halcyon days of innocent youth (year 10) I stumbled upon a book called Nausea by French philosopher Jean Paul Sartre. Thus marked the birth of my existential crisis. Upon reading this seemingly harmless novel I was thrust into an unending pit of despair pondering over the absurdity of life. I would sit in class wondering how on earth everyone could carry on knowing death was imminent, and every single experience would be erased from our minds in the blink of an eye. Then I finished the novel and I like the protagonist realised that there are only two possible responses when you realise that essentially life is pointless. The first is to accept this fact and view everything as empty, meaningless and devoid of true reason. This response usually leads to madness and or depressions and or suicide. The second response is liberation. After accpeting the lack of meaning in life, you are free. Free from the worries of a future that will never come, free from pressure, fear, anxiety. You are free and can only pity those who care so much. I urge you to choose liberation as I have done.
Reply 79
Original post by loveleest
No, I wouldn't be comforted if any one died. Maybe its because I'm not some sick **** to be comforted if someone killed my Mother. Just because I think life is generally pointless does not mean I am some heartless ****.

But you're the one who said human life is pointless. It wouldn't matter then! It wouldn't be sick. Sick suggests an absolute morality, which you don't believe in! The best you can say is that it is sick in your humble opinion. But your opinion doesn't even matter, because your life is pointless!

Why not be consistent with what you profess to believe?

Original post by ParisInc.
Back in the halcyon days of innocent youth (year 10) I stumbled upon a book called Nausea by French philosopher Jean Paul Sartre. Thus marked the birth of my existential crisis. Upon reading this seemingly harmless novel I was thrust into an unending pit of despair pondering over the absurdity of life. I would sit in class wondering how on earth everyone could carry on knowing death was imminent, and every single experience would be erased from our minds in the blink of an eye. Then I finished the novel and I like the protagonist realised that there are only two possible responses when you realise that essentially life is pointless. The first is to accept this fact and view everything as empty, meaningless and devoid of true reason. This response usually leads to madness and or depressions and or suicide. The second response is liberation. After accpeting the lack of meaning in life, you are free. Free from the worries of a future that will never come, free from pressure, fear, anxiety. You are free and can only pity those who care so much. I urge you to choose liberation as I have done.

That's a very tragic freedom. And if you're free from fear, why do you lock your doors at night?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest