The Student Room Group

a level advice urgent

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i believe that i can get a stars if commit and work really hard and do a lot of past papers and ill see all of you in results day.......
Original post by sweeneyrod
Don't start A-levels until you have finished your GCSE's.
Original post by nextmessi
i believe that i can get a stars if commit and work really hard and do a lot of past papers and ill see all of you in results day.......

A*'s in GCSE's or A-levels? All I can say is that I hope your English is better in your exams than in these posts...
Reply 22
how about 10 hours of quality and high standard revision

I doubt that is possible. The human brain can only do that for about 8 hours a day, so if you are still going to school and studying iGCSEs then it is definitely not possible. I think you are vastly underestimating the amount of content in A Levels.
Reply 23
A*'s in GCSE's or A-levels? All I can say is that I hope your English is better in your exams than in these posts...

your comment is irrelevant to this thread so i suggest that you stick to this topic or leave.

much appreciated
Reply 24
Original post by Nisr123
I doubt that is possible. The human brain can only do that for about 8 hours a day, so if you are still going to school and studying iGCSEs then it is definitely not possible. I think you are vastly underestimating the amount of content in A Levels.

I am not doing igcse and A LEVELS TOGETHER.AM finishing off my igcse this week and then i will consider studying A levels after.......
I am not doing igcse and A LEVELS TOGETHER.AM finishing off my igcse this week and then i will consider studying A levels after.......

Yes, but you intend to do the exams at the same time, right? You will still probably need to revise for your GCSE's before the exams even if you've learnt the content already. A-levels on top of that will be an impossible workload. Three months is not enough time to learn 3 AS's to a good standard, on top of revision for GCSE's. How many GCSE's are you studying?

You need time to rest up if you've been working hard at GCSE, A-levels can wait until yr 13, why risk getting a bad grade when it won't hurt to take things slower and actually learn the subjects properly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Yes, but you intend to do the exams at the same time, right? You will still probably need to revise for your GCSE's before the exams even if you've learnt the content already. A-levels on top of that will be an impossible workload. Three months is not enough time to learn 3 AS's to a good standard, on top of revision for GCSE's. How many GCSE's are you studying?

No i finished igcse this month and am only preparing myself for A levels only
No i finished igcse this month and am only preparing myself for A levels only

Well, good luck with your GCSE's (I think you'll need it if you're not doing any revision between now and then). How many are you doing?
I am currently finishing of my Igcse exams and i am considering to take the a levels exam on may/june i want to study bio chem and sociology.If i am home schooled and revise a maximum of 8 to 10 hours a day would i be able to achieve a high grade

The answer is no. It isn't possible to achieve a high grades after studying the content in four months. And realistically, like others have said, you'll burn out if you do 10 hours a day (and that isn't even including the extra time it would take trying to understand the content and and trying to remember it.)

And, even if you do manage to know some, of the content, you'll have to spend a lot of time going through marks schemes to get even a clue about what the examiners want.

And the subjects you want to take, I don't know about Sociology, but Chemistry is considered the hardest subject at A Level and Biology is definitely filled with loads of content.

And really, why did you ask whether you could achieve high grades when after advice from actual A Level students, you've ignored everything they said?
Original post by flyingpanda
The answer is no. It isn't possible to achieve a high grades after studying the content in four months. And realistically, like others have said, you'll burn out if you do 10 hours a day (and that isn't even including the extra time it would take trying to understand the content and and trying to remember it.)

And, even if you do manage to know some, of the content, you'll have to spend a lot of time going through marks schemes to get even a clue about what the examiners want.

And the subjects you want to take, I don't know about Sociology, but Chemistry is considered the hardest subject at A Level and Biology is definitely filled with loads of content.

And really, why did you ask whether you could achieve high grades when after advice from actual A Level students, you've ignored everything they said?

I've finished AS Biology and Chemistry and I think that Chemistry was much easier than Biology but to be honest both of them are pretty hard. Did/do you do Biology, Chemistry, or both?
Long story but last year I studied IGCSE material alongside four AS levels, then sat my IGCSEs in January and started revising my AS stuff for the summer exams. Sorry to say that I don't think you'll get a top grade if the first time you are looking at the material is after your IGCSEs.

At a push, you could do a unit a month, with a sub section a week. But then you would have no time to revise it properly. I had Feb to May to revise my ASs, and that was all right, but that's revision.
Original post by Bubblewrap167
I've finished AS Biology and Chemistry and I think that Chemistry was much easier than Biology but to be honest both of them are pretty hard. Did/do you do Biology, Chemistry, or both?

I do both, along with Physics, Maths and Further Maths and I actually find Chemistry the easiest out of them. Probably because we do so many practice questions for each topic.

I find Biology a little harder, mainly because I have no natural aptitude for it, but it's interesting at least.

What else did you take for AS and what are you carrying forward to A Level?
Original post by flyingpanda
I do both, along with Physics, Maths and Further Maths and I actually find Chemistry the easiest out of them. Probably because we do so many practice questions for each topic.

I find Biology a little harder, mainly because I have no natural aptitude for it, but it's interesting at least.

What else did you take for AS and what are you carrying forward to A Level?

I also did Maths and Geography but I dropped Maths because I couldn't cope with how difficult it was! So now I'm just doing Biology, Chemistry, and Geography.
Original post by Bubblewrap167
I also did Maths and Geography but I dropped Maths because I couldn't cope with how difficult it was! So now I'm just doing Biology, Chemistry, and Geography.

I'm probably going to drop Physics, it is actually so much harder than I'd thought it could be. And I'll probably just take Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A2. (Definitely no Further Maths for me :P)

Good luck with your A2 exams though. :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by MouseyBrown
Long story but last year I studied IGCSE material alongside four AS levels, then sat my IGCSEs in January and started revising my AS stuff for the summer exams. Sorry to say that I don't think you'll get a top grade if the first time you are looking at the material is after your IGCSEs.

At a push, you could do a unit a month, with a sub section a week. But then you would have no time to revise it properly. I had Feb to May to revise my ASs, and that was all right, but that's revision.

What grades did you get so i could consider my choice
What grades did you get so i could consider my choice

Eight A* at IGCSE and four A at AS. And my point is that I never would have got those AS grades if I had only started the material for the first time at the end of Jan.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest