The Student Room Group

F=uR

While doing questions on this, i was interested as to how this equation came about. Is there a proof?
Reply 1
Original post by 123chem
While doing questions on this, i was interested as to how this equation came about. Is there a proof?

question on what exactly?
(never seen it before)
Original post by TeeEm
(never seen it before)

He's wondering how the equation F=uR came about I believe.
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
(never seen it before)

F=uR, F is friction u is coefficient of friction, R is reaction force.
Reply 4
Original post by PedanticStudent
He's wondering how the equation F=uR came about I believe.

What do these quantities represent?
Reply 5
Original post by 123chem

I suppose the coefficient of friction is found experimentally. If f is directly proportional to R then to just do the experiment a couple of times to get the constant - which is the coefficient of friction for that particular material tested.
Reply 6
Original post by 123chem
F=uR, F is friction u is coefficient of friction, R is reaction force.

Purely experimental evidence
Reply 7
Original post by 123chem

Certain physical results are impossible to prove mathematically but are generated through observation and experiment.

Leonardo da Vinci was the first to state that if the the load of an object doubles, the friction doubles i.e. friction is proportional to normal reaction.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by notnek
Certain physical results are impossible to prove mathematically but are generated through observation and experiment.Leonardo da Vinci was the first to state that if the the load of an object doubles, the friction doubles i.e. friction is proportional to normal reaction.

yeeaaahdavinci.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Fair enough, thanks all.

Quick Reply

Latest