The Student Room Group

EDF 2016 Apprenticeship

Hi,

Does anyone know what level the apprenticeshiphip amplitude tests are. And if anyone has done them before? Really need your help as I'm panicking. As the SHL ones that they've supplied are really hard, even my dad can't do them. And EDF don't know what level they will be on the day

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, If you would like a pack of 100 questions and answers to SHL numerical tests collected over 5 years for applications to banks/retailers/engineering firms for internships/grad schemes/spring weeks, inbox me.
Reply 2
Done the tests and testing day last year, invited again in Feb this year again too. The aptitude tests are pretty standard and not too hard. Brush up on basic area formulas, Pythagoras, percentages and ratios for the calculator maths paper, basic arithmetic for the non calculator paper. Reading paper is easiest out of them all, the information is all in front of you. you can find past papers or examples on google for the fault finding and mechanical papers. the SHL ones seemed harder than the actual tests
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Ok. So stuff at gcse maths. Like how hard are the percentage and ratios? And I'd it gearing stuff for mechanical. Is this stuff I can revise? So you didn't get in last year, as you Saud you were invited this year. Appreciate Your help. Pythagoras? Therom?

Thanks,
Jacob
Reply 4
yea i done the tests and passed them last year but never got passed the other testing day. the shl stuff is really as close as you will get for the mechanical stuff. the percentages and ratios aren't hard if your good at quick math in your head, the time limit is what makes them difficult for some people i think. and yes Pythagoras theorem.
Reply 5
Making we a little bit worried. I haven't done anything for it yet as I thought I couldn't really revise. You reckon I should just revise increasing decreasing percentages, ratios,Pythagoras. I'm not great at quick maths I'm doing foundation but been getting Cs in my gcses. A bit worried for the mechanical one to
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Please could u send me the tests. I have testing in Tuesday. I mainly need mechanical

Email:[email protected]
Reply 7
Original post by Jacob D
Making we a little bit worried. I haven't done anything for it yet as I thought I couldn't really revise. You reckon I should just revise increasing decreasing percentages, ratios,Pythagoras. I'm not great at quick maths I'm doing foundation but been getting Cs in my gcses. A bit worried for the mechanical one to

percentage stuff as in how to work out what 56 out of 198 is etc. so (56/198*100) and what is the percentage increase if you started with 93 and now have 111 etc (18/93*100 or 111/93*100-100) and easier ones for in your head like 25% of 60 (20%=12 and 5%=3 so answer is 15). area formulas also of circles and triangles.

The tests are meant to see if your capable enough to do the apprenticeship so if you struggle with it you would struggle with the course work. Im doing an HNC in measurement and control (same as EDF instrumentation qualification) just now and the maths and some of the subjects can be quite challenging at times even with all the revision material to help you.

If you dont manage to get in, look at another one of my posts on the apprenticeship page with a few alternatives for next year instead of just relying on edf.
Reply 8
I can do that sort of stuff. It's multiple choice? Sorry, I'm confused so your doing a hnc so your not going to be applying this year. And any other apprenticeships like edf this year would be great
Reply 9
Original post by Jacob D
I can do that sort of stuff. It's multiple choice? Sorry, I'm confused so your doing a hnc so your not going to be applying this year. And any other apprenticeships like edf this year would be great

yea its all multiple choice so its alot easier than not having potential answers. Ive still applied, having the HNC will make my chances better for getting in as it shows I can do that level of study no problem, look at another post of mine called some apprenticeship opportunities or something.
Reply 10
Cool. There's no age limit then. Could I just ask how did u get a hnc, like what route as this is something I would like to do? For the non calculator do u have to work out percentages or just multiplication
Original post by Jacob D
Cool. There's no age limit then. Could I just ask how did u get a hnc, like what route as this is something I would like to do? For the non calculator do u have to work out percentages or just multiplication

I was doing an NC in measurement and control when i first applied to EDF for the apprenticeship. never got in to any apprenticeships that i had applied for although passed all the aptitude testing and thought the interviews went good. I had applied to the HNC as back up which came in handy. If i don't get an apprenticeship this year (which I'm not sure i want as my 1st choice) I've got an offer for MEng instrumentation and control at Teesside university starting in September anyway as this years "back-up".
addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, ratios, percentages and fractions i think, been a year since I done any but sure that was what it was made up of.

actually, i just done the E.On aptitude test online for their 2 year pathway in instrumentation and thought that was the hardest one i had ever done. not because the questions were any different from any other aptitude tests, only because of the time limit. 1min30 or 1min for 4 quesitons with 3 different scenarios in each discipline, i.e math, reading, mechanical, spatial, logic reasoning and error checking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Ah I see. So you applied for a eon one to. I'm just slightly worried what it's going to be like. I've practised some maths stuff just now but don't know if that is what is going to come up.

Like 500 people liked beef crisps. How many people liked plain? The ratio is 4:7 ANS= 500/4= 125. 125 x 7= 875. So plain is 875 people.

I will brush up on subtraction. For mechanical is it gearing stuff. That's quite hard.

So the tests are numerical, mechanical, reading (what'd this?) And fault, which looks a bit odd too
Original post by Jacob D
Ah I see. So you applied for a eon one to. I'm just slightly worried what it's going to be like. I've practised some maths stuff just now but don't know if that is what is going to come up.

Like 500 people liked beef crisps. How many people liked plain? The ratio is 4:7 ANS= 500/4= 125. 125 x 7= 875. So plain is 875 people.

I will brush up on subtraction. For mechanical is it gearing stuff. That's quite hard.

So the tests are numerical, mechanical, reading (what'd this?) And fault, which looks a bit odd too

reading is like a critical analysis of a passage, it will give you a piece of text then will ask you queations about it, easy just remember if one of the choices is "cannot say" make sure if you dont choose that answer that it actually says what your thinking it is. the fault finding one is pretty easy tbh, work backwards and it should be fine.
Reply 14
Yeah. So like flowcharts. Is the reading like the one on shl
Reply 15
Sport another question. DoD u say fractions? Like additions and subtraction of them. Their isn't anything on data stuff or shapes when you did it.

Hopefully just, ratios, Pythagoras, addition, subtraction, percentages, areas of shapes, fractions,
Original post by mk21353
Hi, If you would like a pack of 100 questions and answers to SHL numerical tests collected over 5 years for applications to banks/retailers/engineering firms for internships/grad schemes/spring weeks, inbox me.

hi I am doing this apprenticeship and I would really appreciate it if you sent me the questions aswell
Hello, the tests are fairly simple I would say the maths one is the hardest but its all GCSE C grade stuff, however be prepared tow work fast as you only get about 18min to answer 36 questions. I also wanted to ask has anyone done the test and heard anything back?
Reply 18
Yeah I've done them . I didn't get through though. I failed mechanical and fault but passed technical and numerical. Have u done it David? Like for this year? Did u get through

By the way I'm absolute gutted :/
Yea I have done them for this year still waiting for an answer, hopefully I get through to the interview stage. I just wanted to see if anyone has heard anything back yet. p.s. what site did you apply for guys?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending