The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quilverine
There is a cheap public car park just outside the campus and the medical school is only a short walk from it.

Perfect, thanks :smile:

Original post by wl1
Are you both going to turn up at 10 like they suggest? Apparently my journey is 213 miles so I am probably going to find a hotel. I don't fancy driving over 400 miles in a day.

My plan is to try and get there for 10 yeah but my drive is only around 3 hours so I think it's bearable
Original post by kethan
Perfect, thanks :smile:

My plan is to try and get there for 10 yeah but my drive is only around 3 hours so I think it's bearable

There are other options if it is full, it's not that big. (Directions are as if you're coming from M4 direction)

"Recreation Ground Car Park, Mumbles Road:
There is usually limited space available for visitors in the Recreation Ground Car Park on Mumbles Road which is directly adjacent to the Swansea University campus (see below for directions).
The parking fee is approximately £3.50 for the day.
The University is only a short walk west along Mumbles Road (the main University entrance is just before the footbridge).

Alternative car parks:
Foreshore car park opposite St Helens Rugby ground
‘Pub on the Pond’ Car Park (turn right just after the University entrance)
Foreshore car park at bottom of Sketty Lane (carry on past the University entrance. The car park is on the left at the traffic lights)
Swansea University Sports Centre Car Park, Sketty Lane (carry on past the University entrance. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights, then left at the next set)"
So begins another week of staring off into space wondering how hard it can be to organise an admissions spreadsheet...
Original post by Quilverine
There are other options if it is full, it's not that big. (Directions are as if you're coming from M4 direction)

"Recreation Ground Car Park, Mumbles Road:
There is usually limited space available for visitors in the Recreation Ground Car Park on Mumbles Road which is directly adjacent to the Swansea University campus (see below for directions).
The parking fee is approximately £3.50 for the day.
The University is only a short walk west along Mumbles Road (the main University entrance is just before the footbridge).

Alternative car parks:
Foreshore car park opposite St Helens Rugby ground
‘Pub on the Pond’ Car Park (turn right just after the University entrance)
Foreshore car park at bottom of Sketty Lane (carry on past the University entrance. The car park is on the left at the traffic lights)
Swansea University Sports Centre Car Park, Sketty Lane (carry on past the University entrance. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights, then left at the next set)"

Thanks so much! Definitely made my life a bit easier :smile: Was all of that information on the email or something and I completely missed it ?
Original post by kethan
Thanks so much! Definitely made my life a bit easier :smile: Was all of that information on the email or something and I completely missed it ?

It's on the general open day page for the whole uni not specifically med school. :smile: It's lush, the mumbles road is along the seafront. I imagine on a stormy day it is a bit grim but I went in summer and it was absolutely beautiful. Mumbles itself is really close and that is awesome for a beach picnic on a warm day.
Reply 4765
Hello all

I have read a lot about people using the Gold Standard book for the GAMSAT. Has anyone been able to get a good score with purely the preparation materials GAMSAST/ACER provide, and some other supplementary books (e.g. Letts A-level)? Or is spending a large amount of money the only way people have prepared for this exam?
Reply 4766
I bought the a level revision books for chemistry, biology and physics (ocr I think? Whichever one had more colourful pictures and looked more readable) and then used the small amount of material the gamesat people gave us, plus I Googled around and there's free questions all over the internet- I got: 62 (s1), 62 (s2) and 65 (s3) with final score of 64. I did have a science degree before though that covered a lot of the science section.

Basically, I think it's very do-able without spending lots of money :smile:
Original post by Keevs
Hello all

I have read a lot about people using the Gold Standard book for the GAMSAT. Has anyone been able to get a good score with purely the preparation materials GAMSAST/ACER provide, and some other supplementary books (e.g. Letts A-level)? Or is spending a large amount of money the only way people have prepared for this exam?

I used Khan academy (free) and the ACER materials and got a 72 (69, 73, 73). You don't need to spend mega bucks.
Original post by Keevs
Hello all

You don't need the gold standard book. If anything the gold standard book goes beyond what is needed and would just stress you out. I've heard good things about the griffiths GAMSAT review. Many people get good scores using that in combination with a level revision guides and/or the Internet.

I bought the GAMSAT review and didn't use it. For me it was a waste of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For anyone applying to Newcstle A101, rejections have started going out. Got one today which I was expecting.
Original post by treenyc
For anyone applying to Newcstle A101, rejections have started going out. Got one today which I was expecting.

I'm sorry to hear that Is that post interview?
Original post by MickyVee
I'm sorry to hear that Is that post interview?

No, I didn't get through yo interview. Presumably I didn't meet the cut off. I have interviews for a100 though so I'm ok.
Original post by Keevs
Hello all

Do the UKCAT instead! :colone:
Original post by Keevs
Hello all

I did it twice with a big improvement second time round. I used griffiths review, the provided acer material and some Mcat papers. The griffiths review was great and I'd highly recommend. In the exam they give you all the info you need to answer the question so it is about practicing technique and maybe revising some topics so you don't need to spend loads of time reading. I personally wouldn't spend all that money in gold standard as its very detailed. On you tube there are loads of videos and also answer explanations to the practice papers.

If you can afford doing both gamesat and ukcat then I would because then you know one score applying and hope that the gamesat is good enough. Entirely up to you though
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Keevs
Hello all

I didn't buy the book but I did use the videos on YouTube - I found annotating the ACER papers with the answers (highlighting the important bit of the equation; drawing out the molecular spatial manipulations etc) to be what really brought everything together because it demonstrated HOW the science knowledge would need to be applied in the exam. I did use a lot of other materials like university textbooks and other YouTube videos, but then for most of my preparation time I couldn't take notes because my wrists were busted, so I had to get creative!! Ultimately, coming from an arts background with zero science knowledge, I came out with a 64 in Section 3. You really don't need to spend money - you need to know how *you* best learn, and then do that :smile:
Reply 4775
Original post by HCAssistant93
I did it twice with a big improvement second time round. I used griffiths review, the provided acer material and some Mcat papers. The griffiths review was great and I'd highly recommend. In the exam they give you all the info you need to answer the question so it is about practicing technique and maybe revising some topics so you don't need to spend loads of time reading. I personally wouldn't spend all that money in gold standard as its very detailed. On you tube there are loads of videos and also answer explanations to the practice papers.

If you can afford doing both gamesat and ukcat then I would because then you know one score applying and hope that the gamesat is good enough. Entirely up to you though

Thanks for this! Yes, I have planned to do both exams to give myself the best chance of getting pst cut-offs.
Reply 4776
Original post by LizenkaLizenka
I didn't buy the book but I did use the videos on YouTube - I found annotating the ACER papers with the answers (highlighting the important bit of the equation; drawing out the molecular spatial manipulations etc) to be what really brought everything together because it demonstrated HOW the science knowledge would need to be applied in the exam. I did use a lot of other materials like university textbooks and other YouTube videos, but then for most of my preparation time I couldn't take notes because my wrists were busted, so I had to get creative!! Ultimately, coming from an arts background with zero science knowledge, I came out with a 64 in Section 3. You really don't need to spend money - you need to know how *you* best learn, and then do that :smile:

Thank you for your reply. Are these the ACER books that you can buy from the GAMSAT site? I'm starting nice and early, and doing the UKCAT too so hopefully I've got enough time to develop my learning style and prepare effectively for the exam :smile:
Original post by Keevs
Thank you for your reply. Are these the ACER books that you can buy from the GAMSAT site? I'm starting nice and early, and doing the UKCAT too so hopefully I've got enough time to develop my learning style and prepare effectively for the exam :smile:

They are indeed! I'm pretty sure at least one of them can be found as a PDF to download free if you Google it, but it's safer to get them legitimately from ACER in lieu of spending money on textbooks. There's really not much point acquiring the knowledge if you don't know how they specifically want you to apply it, so that's the one thing I would say it's worth buying! Good luck :biggrin:
Hi guys,

I'm still waiting to here from Keele and UEA - can't find related threads on here - does anyone have any updates on applications?!
Original post by oliviajanescott
Hi guys,

I'm still waiting to here from Keele and UEA - can't find related threads on here - does anyone have any updates on applications?!

Heya, here are the threads which will hopefully give you a bit more info on what you're looking for!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3597147&page=30&p=62268361#post62268361

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3606649&page=23&p=62275425#post62275425

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending